• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Completely new at this :/

Project-man

Hello,
My wife and I moved out to the country and I'm surrounded by projects I'd like to work on this summer. I'm torn between just hiring these projects out or purchasing a machine so I can do the projects myself and have it available to me whenever I need it. Basically I need to create a swale in my yard for drainage, create a walkway, remove a number of trees and stumps and possibly create a small pond in a low area of the property.

I found a JD 1010 backhoe in my area for what I thought was a decent price. I know it is old (vintage 1960's ) but the seller claims it all works except for the brakes. It looks to me like it would fulfill my needs since I don't need modern or huge equipment and for me the simpler things are the easier they are to fix.

If anyone is familiar with this type of machinery I was wondering if parts, new or used can still be found and about how many hours on a machine this old would make most buyers walk away from checking it out if it had too many hours already..... It has a gas motor, some small leaks, no brakes but everything else works..... Thanks in advance for any information you can give me since I am very new at construction equipment.......SH

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Welcome to the HEF, Project-man. Good to have you. Thanks for the great introduction.
Most new guys just ask a bunch or questions and then ditch.

We have the skill, we have the tools and we know how to chat. If you are looking for a Forum, the HEF is where it’s at !

The HEF is where topics never end. Giant hoes to emission deletes, theres always a new trend.

Let me to take you on a trip. To a place very unique. Where heavy equipment Autists come together and conversations peak.

Hang out on the HEF, where opinions are the norm. From SkyKing1 to Nige, they’ve got it going on.l!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums PM glad to have you!

What is your level of heavy equipment experience? Don't know much about JD but there may be some issues sourcing parts for a 60 year old machine. Not having brakes is kind of a problem out of the gate...

What's your budget and time frame?

crane operator

If you prefer working on the dirt and trees, I would heartily recommend something more in the 80's to 90's for model years and diesel.

If you prefer spending your time and money working on the equipment, then older isn't all bad. You imply that you haven't had a background in heavy equipment repair and tools to perform such, so really working on old iron isn't going to be your strong suit.

As just a example, what your looking at is probably a $5-10,000 backhoe? Going to probably need tires, some hoses replaced. Cylinders repacked. Some welding on the loader or stick. Could have engine and transmission issues, but hopefully not catastrophic ones.

Or you could spend $20-$30k. And get something vastly newer with better capabilities. . With better parts availability. And sell it 5 years from now, for what you gave for it.

If your budget is $10,000 max, you would be better off renting the equipment you need, and be done with it. Unless you enjoy the use and care of old equipment. The 1010 isn't a very big backhoe, I don't think most had any roll over protection, and it would likely burn fuel like no tomorrow. Really the hours on the machine don't really matter at that age, any statement of hours is just a guess.

Post up pictures of the machine, or preferably a link to the sales ad/ facebook/ craiglist listing so everyone can get a peek at it and give you some advice.

Shimmy1

It all works today, tomorrow is the question. To head potential problems off before they start, you need to figure out where ALL fluid levels are at, how the oil looks, and if the filters have been changed in this decade.

Also, get some fuel filters and a new battery right away. At least we'll have addressed the usual starting problems early.

Joe H

If you have no experience with heavy equipment at all, it has a gas motor.

Diesel engines are a whole different thing and if you have fuel problems or injection problems you're dealing with the mystery of the universe if you have no experience.

Gas motor needs spark and gas, it's pretty simple stuff.

So it it runs and goes and can dig a hole go for it if the price is right.

What's the price?

Somebody here can walk you through just about anything that dies, it's just nasty dirty work.

Joe H

Delmer

maybe a picture would help. Is this 1010 a smaller farm tractor with an add on backhoe, or a crawler with a backhoe? and what is the model number on the backhoe? There was a 110 JD backhoe that was a lighter model in the 310 line, but I've never seen a 1010.

Tyler d4c

Appears they are based on a 1010 industrial tractor. Fun fact the 1010 had the strangest cylinder sleeves ever all 4 could be replaced as one unit
img-1.jpeg

Project-man

Thanks so much for the feedback. I don't have much experience with heavy equipment but I'm definitely willing to learn and since I'm retiring from teaching it would be a good way to stay active and out of the house. The machine is $5000 and before I make an appointment to check out the machine, I was looking for some feedback from experienced people who are knowledgeable in this field.

I like the fact it has a gas motor and not a diesel so tinkering with it would be easier for me. A backhoe seems more practical for the work I'd like to perform on my property but I'm also wondering if a skid steer would be effective due to the number of attachments available.

The sad thing is where I live, I see similar machines like this one I'm interested in all over the place, parked next to barns and garages and they never seem to be used or moved. I wonder if they are operational or just sitting there parked until they get transported to the scrap yard.

edgephoto

An old machine like that would probably be a hobby all by itself. There is probably more wrong than right with it. You will easily spend another $5000 in just parts to get her usable.

Take this from a guy who bought a 30 year old machine and has been working on it for 4 years on and off. I have yet to dig a hole with it. Granted I go months without getting time to work on it and I am doing more that patching it together. Not a restoration but not a patch job either, somewhere in the middle.

Joe H

I'd buy that, but no more than $3000. $1,500 would be better but not likely he'd take that.

I had a Case very similar, first year they made a backhoe. Gas motor, 4+2 speeds, pretty well clapped out but dug a lot of holes and was still clapped out and running when I sold it for what I paid for it.

Don't be afraid of it just because it's old, I'm old too.

Joe H

Welder Dave

I'd look for something newer like a Case 580 of some sort that's much more common. Unlikely JD will have many parts if any for an old 1010. Would be nice if you could up your budget a bit. Making swales and walkways, a skid steer would be superior. A backhoe isn't very good for finish grading or even grading in general unless you can tell exactly what the bucket is doing.

Tyler d4c

A old diesel is easier to repair then a old gas. No point or plugs to worry about no carb to gunk up. Just a old roost master pump that may need a rebuild. And if it does it will only need it once. Not like points plug and carbs!

MG84

You’re probably going to have to double your budget to find anything that won’t just be a project in itself. If you could possibly stretch your budget to $15-20k that opens up a lot more available equipment and different types of equipment too. Also don’t be afraid of the diesels, if a diesel is running good when you buy it (and you keep the fuel system clean) chances are it will stay running good. A gas motor of that age will be constant tinkering, poor running, etc. Unfortunately the service parts for older gas stuff like that is just crap quality these days. It’s really hard to find a set of points, condenser, carb kit etc that are not junk and it makes keeping these older gas rigs running harder and harder.

What percentage of your work is digging related (removing stumps, trenching, digging holes) vs grading (making swales/berms, building/fixing roads and paths, leveling ground), vs loading (loading material on/off trucks, carrying/piling dirt, compost, logs etc)? What is your terrain like and how many acres do you have? A little more details on your projects/situation will help us direct you towards the right machine.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
Hi Project Man. Welcome to HEF. I'm relatively new to this stuff as well having purchased my Bhoe in April of last year.
The gentlemen here are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They've guided me through some tough repairs.
You'll get a lot of great feedback so take your time on your purchase decision as you gain more knowledge.
Good luck.

JBrady

Thanks for the introduction and glad to have you on board. This is really an outstanding group of individuals that give an unbelievable amount of help, guidance, and support to those that genuinely want to learn. The only thing to add to what others have already said that hasn't been mentioned much is safety. You have made it to retirement (CONGRATULATIONS!), it would be a real shame for you to get seriously hurt on a piece of equipment. A machine like you pictured, doesn't have any kind of protective structure over the operator, isn't balanced like a modern backhoe, mechanical condition very unknown, etc. etc. For not a whole lot more money, you could get something like an earlier Case 580D or E, or even a K and have a much better chance of having something dependable AND safer. It's a lot of fun working on your own place, but it is no joke knocking over big trees or working on a pond dam or steep road. For what you described that you want to do, I'd seriously consider a skid steer over a backhoe and then rent a mini ex when you needed to dig.

Let us know what you decide!

skyking1

Great points Jbrady.
Based off all of that, I suggest you consider renting a machine first.
Get several of the projects all lined up and organized, all the fences and brush cleared away, etc.
Then rent something nice and fresh. Get it delivered on a Friday and picked up Monday for a single day rental, if that is possible.
That way you have two working days plus Friday evening to use up the 8 hours on the meter.
1) the brakes will work
2) it will have an ROPS
3) it will be unbelievably faster than that old hoe.

Just a thought. Most guys who buy hoes to do projects, they end up exactly like you see them all over the country, parked and no longer needed.
I built our 1.25 acre place from raw land, logs and stumps in 1995. It has not needed a machine on it for 15 years now.
First rental was a 200EC cat. 1 day
Cat 312 1 day
brought home a 580 case from work, 1 day here and there.
350 rental dozer and a little roller for a weekend, and seeded it.
Since then the company excavator has been off the trailer a few times, but really not for any need, just because I had it with me.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Welcome to HEF!

I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for a tractor that old and that would be if everything works like it should. If it's not all beat to crap it could be a fun project in itself.

You can get by without brakes if you are keeping it on your property. My NH doesn't have brakes and they are too complex and expensive to repair so I just use caution.

Found a few videos on this model.