• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Combines Old to Modern

Northart

Here's a pictoral short history of the evolution.

1. Horse drawn combine

2. Cat D5 and John Deere 36B

3. Quad Trac and Hillside Case International

Attachments

• Horse Combine a.JPG
    Horse Combine a.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 5,866
  • JD 36BCombine c.JPG
    JD 36BCombine c.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 6,787
  • Quad Trac c.JPG
    Quad Trac c.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 6,094

Northart

Caterpillar Hillside Lexion Combine

Hillside Lexion , was part of Claas, now part of AGCO . The industry sure moves fast these days. Corporate mergers, spin offs.

Attachments

• Sidehillcombine f.JPG
    Sidehillcombine f.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 14,087

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
The Lexion is still part of Class, but the challenger brand of Cat is now AGCO. The A85 Gleaner, the Massey, and the Challenger are all the same combine but with different motors and different paint scheme.

No other combine can compare in productivity to the Lexion 595r.

Christian

Occupation
Contractor
Claas Lexion 600

I will add some pictures of our Lexion 600 for you, a great machine! I will add some more as soon as i can..
Thank you for a great forum! :)

20070712518.jpg

20070719548.jpg

IMGP2904.jpg

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Christian! :drinkup

Christian

Occupation
Contractor
I don`t understand why i doesn`t get miniature pictures in my replys, why do i only get a link, and not a picture?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I don`t understand why i doesn`t get miniature pictures in my replys, why do i only get a link, and not a picture?

IMG code is turned off on the forums for various reasons. IMG code is what turns a link into a picture.

To get pictures up you must upload them using the attachment feature in your reply. Check out the second red link in my signature for help with that. :)

racsan

Occupation
assembler for a honda supplier plant
we started with a allis pull-type model 66, then got a oliver 25 sel-propelled, moved up to a deere 45 eb for a few years, had a '76 3300 gas for about 20 years and our last was the '73 6600 diesel. wish more could be done with the 6600 than harvest. awesome motor, hydrostatic drive, working a/c. weve only had it about 4 years.
dsnerror009.jpg
check this out, was taking off corn across the road. its got a homemade reel to rake the corn in with, had some heavy winds a few weeks ago that downed alot of corn.
pagenotfound002.jpg

Richardjw~

No other combine can compare in productivity to the Lexion 595r.

:laugh:laugh:pointlaugh

You perhaps haven't heard that now the New Holland CR 9090 holds the the current Guiness Record for most tonnes harvested in 24hrs.....beating the Lexion.

http://www.newholland.com/cr9090_minisite/index.html

In all seriousness though they are all pretty much level pegging in terms of performance, a lot depends on the operator and the field conditions

crayton

Occupation
Don't want one now, retired.
Vintage Harvest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBhved_BkyY Heres a video of a Vintage Harvest a bunch of us "Experienced Operators" (Old Guys) hold every fall the weekend before Labor Day in Eastern Wash. This was in 05 and we have 7 machines now with tractors and trucks to match. Just found a 36 John Deer that was stored in a shed for 50 yrs. and ready to go, new drapers and all. Just have to find a place to store it now. We started this to show the grandkids how we used to do it and they really jump in and help us now. Do it as a fund raiser for the Historical Soc. but it's free if you don't want to donate. most do. These old machines really do a good job, maybe better than the new ones just not as fast but very steady. They used to cut about 2000 bu/day and do a good clean job. Video dosn't show it but these are hillside machines and will level about 45 degrees. Come and join us and get a little chaff down your neck, we have a ball and you will to.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
That is a really good video, crayton. For their time, those old machines were quite large capacity. What brand of engines drive the harvesters and were they petrol/kerosine or diesel? There were what we called engine functioned harvesters here, that had Hercules petrol/kerosine engines driving them. They were originally pulled by horses and later by tractors, then they were phased out by harvesters driven by the pto shaft from the tractor. I never saw or heard of those type of harvesters in the video, come in to Australia and the machines here were quite a bit smaller. The following pic is not real good quality, but it gives you the general idea. This machine is a Sunshine No. 6, engine functioned harvester. Here it has a smaller pickup on it for harvesting ryegrass seed, normally it would probably have a 10 foot comb for grain.

Rn'R.

Attachments

• AA013492.jpg
    AA013492.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Interesting video! The second machine has the same basic shape as more modern harvesters. The old Chevy truck is a nice touch!

How many men are actually required to operate?

Richardjw~

Here's a few out of the album.....its the evolution of corn harvest(or barley or small grain I think you call it over on the other side of the river) here on our family farm over the years.......

So to start with its an Albion binder pulled by some horses - I'm guessing in the early '30s....but don't know what make the horses are.....then when they got tired of trying to catch the horses every morning they upgraded to a Standard Fordson in the middle/late '30s - My Uncle is at the wheel - probably came home from school early that day :)

Then you have my father's first combine a Massey Harris 726 bagger - he's the one sat on the rail on the left - he bought this one in the early '60s

then right up to date our latest - a '83 New Holland 8040

Attachments

• standard fordson.jpg
    standard fordson.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 793
  • binder 2.jpg
    binder 2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 755
  • albion binder.jpg
    albion binder.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 750
  • 726.jpg
    726.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,524
  • oats2.jpg
    oats2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 756

crayton

Occupation
Don't want one now, retired.
The engines an all these machines are JXC Hercules and are gasoline engines. International used their own engine a Black Diamond. Northart, your #2 picture is one of ours and that is a 9U D6 instead of a D5. The red combine is a Harris and is pulled by a RD6 3 lung-er. The orange one is a Case V2 and one of the last pull machines built. They were just a little late with this model as the self propelled combines came out shortly after that. They had a lot of neat things, Zerk nipples all plumbed to central location, electric start on the engine, power header lift etc. Harris was the first to build a hillside self propelled that really worked. They were built in Stockton Calif. and not related to Massy Harrris. By the way that is a 35 International (McCormick) pulling the orange Case. Been back sooner but Grandson had water pipes freeze last night, 6 degrees and 20 mph wind. Brrrrrrrr. Here's another one you might like. The last shot is of me at about 13 learning to run combine from my dad about 1945. It was a Rumbly 12 ft cut with a 4 cyl Wakueasha engine. Put in about 60 harvests since then and it's still fun. Worked on a Drill Rig that had a big Wakueasha engine on the mud pump and it had a little 4 cyl like this for a starting motor. Driller was impressed that as young as I was that I knew all about that engine. Guess it pays to teach em young.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci3KnAxdISYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci3KnAxdISY