• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cleaning & undercarriages.

BrianHay

A trick I use whenever possible in the winter time is I pack my tracks full of snow first thing in the morning. It makes the shoveling at the end of the day way easier.

biggixxerjim

One thing I must say, is that it is BS for an operator to tell a laboror to "clean my tracks" while he writes out a ticket or whatever.

An operator doesnt do the laborors dirty work, so why should a laboror do an operators dirty work???

Tn Bulldog

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/ Truck driver
One thing I must say, is that it is BS for an operator to tell a laboror to "clean my tracks" while he writes out a ticket or whatever.

An operator doesnt do the laborors dirty work, so why should a laboror do an operators dirty work???

Amen my dad & granddad BOTH said if YOU RAN IT YOU CLEAN THE TRACKS OUT !!! They were firm belivers in this that way a labor could do something else :my2c

later

Bulldog

fireman050

Occupation
construction & volunteer firefighter
the way i clean my tracks is load the machine on the lowboy and haul it over to the fire house and pull the pumper out and hook up to a hydrant and then pull a 2 1/2 inch attack line and get to cleaning:D

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Other then the obvious,
one of my biggest motivations for keeping my u/c clean is the joy I receive knowing that I gave all the top hand, lop-eared, grave sucking tractor drivers something else to talk about. :notworthy

Yep....
Lazy people irritate me. :stirthepot
:cool:

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I clean the tracks off when the job is done. Working in deep mud most of the time it is useless to clean the tracks off before you go home, because they will get all dirty again the next day. It take me about an hour to shovel of the mud before the machine is mived to the next job. I bet there has been up 1500 pounds of mud caked on there before. When your working in the mud that is a deep as the top of the tracks it flows into every place you can think of:eek:

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I agree with Dirtman, when working in muddy conditions(unless the temps are below freezing, which happens often in Wisconsin), it is best to just leave it go until you are all done. All it takes is about 10 feet of travel to have the UC full of mud again. Last winter, cleaned out a pond, it was best to clean them every night, very cold out. You think that mud is hard to clean, remember the pics of me cleaning out the manure lagoon? That stuff was nasty to clean out and worse when froze. Dad always had me cleaning quite well in the winter, would shut down the crushing plant an hour or so before dark and get all the lime off every bit off the lime mill, otherwise the next morning it would take over 3 hours to get going.

As far as normal dirt and rocks, clean em off good before you move the machine, I've seen some good dents in my cousins Texas bumper on his Pete that are from big rocks falling off trailers with machines on them.
Trbo

cherokee101

I clean mine every time I finish up for the day. I keep a small pinch bar and a trench cleaning spade on the machine. Mine are farm machines so when I finish a project they get water blasted before putting them back in the barn. It took me a long time to get my little collection of orphans and they are going to have to last a lot longer.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
When working consistently in mud I only clean the track once a week as long as the rollers and such are still turning. We also readjust the tracks after there packed full of mud so there not overly tight. At times it isn't worth cleaning the tracks daily. If you can clean your tracks in 15/20 mins thats not cleaning thats dusting cleaning takes 1hr+. Sometimes I have the labors clean my tracks if I have any or there just standing around. There is always something more important for me to be doing and it not because I'm lazy.

tylermckee

If im in mud i only really clean them once a week or so, unless its freezing. By clean i mean i dig all the muck out and spin them around a few times, takes ~20 minutes. Not a road worthy cleaning. I stop and spin my tracks 'clean' pretty often when im running around in mud.

I dont see whats wrong with having a labor clean out a set of tracks, thats what they are hired for laboring.