• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion 730A articulation wiring

Welder Dave

Went out today and discovered the wing valve and the articulation valve are a little different. The articulation valve has double thermal relief valves while the wing valve only has one. Maybe the end cap could be swapped as the main housing is the same but top hose connects in a different port.
I'm wondering though if the solenoids are the main problem with the articulation valve. I got the solenoid off in pieces. I noticed some of coil wire was a darker colour so it may have got hot. The thin nylon sleeve wasn't coming off the stem without a major fight. It's also pretty fragile. The inner stem is smaller diameter stainless steel. The outer stem had a fair amount of corrosion and dirt. A lot of crap came out when I got the sleeve to slide off. I tried to see if a solenoid on the wing valve would move but no luck. I think the only way the solenoids come off is the stem and sleeve are perfectly clean with no corrosion. Anti-seize or dielectric grease seems like it should be mandatory if you ever want to remove or replace a solenoid. Here's some pics. 1st pic. is the sleeve after a little cleaning. The 2nd pic. is the stem it came off after some cleaning. 3rd pic. is the stem from where the solenoid coil was missing. The stems can be cleaned up pretty easily. The pins on the end seem to push each other so aren't stuck inside.

Attachments

• 20230820_173147.jpg
    20230820_173147.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230820_165109.jpg
    20230820_165109.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230820_165129.jpg
    20230820_165129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Welder Dave

I'm pretty sure this is the type of valve used for the articulation. I found some solenoids online that I think are new old stock. They look the same except use a stud connection instead of a spade connector. The shipping would cost more than the solenoids but I think might be worth trying because of the incredibly low price. The type of solenoids that were OEM are the ones in the last link. New OEM solenoids are more than double in Canada of the solenoid in the last link. There's only 1 left of that one and I need 2 but with duty would probably be close to the OEM price. Think it's worth a shot and has anyone bought any parts from Iron Wing sales? The other thing I'm worried about is the TD spade connector solenoids say internal ground and the TE solenoids with a stud don't mention internal ground. I'd think they'd have to ground the same way with only 1 wire connection wouldn't they?

Last edited: