• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Sproket Removal (also Komatsu)

Cmark

Hats off to you TCT for doing this stuff every week. Great photos.

It's probably 10 years since I last rebuilt one of those and I don't miss it one bit. I was working for a dealer at the time at a remote site and it took the tool store three attempts to send all the right tooling out to me. Customer was not happy........

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
tct, good to see the new thread after the other went MIA...you should take some pictures of the new stuff you work on it will be old soon enough.......TIO

Old Doug

TCT How did you pull a dead axle with bad threads?I dont remember what size cat it was maybe a 7 but the thread end was damaged. I welded 4 hammers from a rock hammer mill to it and used 2 50ton jacks to remove it. I burnt alot of rod on it and thought my welds would break but it worked.

tctractors

Well I am happy that this new tread is of interest and I will post up a few pic's of new iron as things go, it would be silly of me to keep posting pic's of F/Drives in bits but I do seem to have loads (100's) of them as I have been doing them for so long now, on Monday I pressed in track pins into new V Track Chains (D6), yesterday I pulled down 2 F/Drives on a D4D 61J series dozer in mid Wales so the week unfolds.
Old Doug, the cutting torch and a T/lance gets 155 dead shafts out, but it always seems to add about 2 days more work to the task.

tctractors

Cmark

Hey TCT.

I'm interested to know do you still use the old fashioned "cat red" gasket maker on the housings, or do you use something more 21st century?

Cutterjohn

Hey TCT.

I'm interested to know do you still use the old fashioned "cat red" gasket maker on the housings, or do you use something more 21st century?

Oh, oh, I got this! Sadly CAT discontinued the old, revered 7M-7260 (thinking this is everywhere, not just the U.S.) Pretty much kicked everything to Loctite to meet worldwide requirements i.e. no EAME (euro) COSA (south america) NACD (U.S) different part numbers with different MSDS sheets.
We use Loctite PNO 30525 as the repl of the 7M-7260

tctractors

Cutterjohn, good bunch of Verbs on the gasket gunge thing, the new stuff is like mud in a tube, I still have 2 pots of the red stuff (7M-7260) that I jamb my nose into at least weekly, things change and the new stuff seems to work in a very favourable style, the cost of the new stuff is relatively low with 10 tubes around the £50 mark, the important thing is not to use Silicone syle gunge on F/Drive casings as it migrates out of the joint within hours once the tractor is working.

tctractors

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
Oh that sure brings back good and bad memories. Seems that back when I was doing several U/C's it would come in waves. Either getting wire wrapped around the duo-cones and losing gear oil or dang dead axle issues, or both. Had a 6C come out of a gravel pit that 3/4 of a round of one thread left on the dead axle. Had to buy an extra adapter for the one that I welded to the end of it. Numerous 7018 passes and getting behind some heavy iron in case something went wrong and a prayer, 40 tons on the pump later it popped loose and my welds held. woo hoo!

Randy88

I gotta ask tc, how do you get the big bolts out without an air compressor to run impacts, do you use a torque multiplier, swench or ?

tctractors

To undo stuff I have 2 or 3 Torque Multipliers 2 of them 1 1/2" drive 23-1 gearing, plus I also have an 1 1/2" drive socket set with all the silly bars and stuff, I do have small air wrench tooling 1/2" and 3/4" to use if there is air on site, but I am not going to supply it as there is no money to earn on this extra for me, but my usual tools are an old stager 1" bar that is the best thing I have ever found (in a fire damaged Factory due for Demo) with a lenght of alloy scaffold tube, and a 3/4" Snap Off (On) long rachet etc.

tctractors

p.s I have copped another D6C 46J series tractor to press out the track pins and pull down the back casings, so the World is good all ways for me.

p.p.s. I am not in any of those snaps, the big lad is Karl the owner of the 2 tripple 6 chariots.

Last edited:

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Good pics and storys Tony.
With the broken deadshaft thing, only had this once on a D4D and on that I ended up pulling the other side and using a long steel pin and bashing out the broken shaft from the good side. These days only tractors I want to know about fixing are those with my name on the fuel tank, at least then I can swear at myself when things go wrong !!
Can,t believe a lot of dealers etc scrapped all that tooling as still must be some jobs they get called upon to rebuild final drives. Is certainly very few other options down here at the bottom of the world for that sort of tooling. Have the deadshaft adapters for D4/6 and can get hubs off then pull complete final and take it to dealer to pull while I wait. Was lucky enough to be able to borrow the gear to install sprocket on one D6D final as I knew who to ask; but wont be so lucky this winter when I have to pull finals on my other 6.
Yes think its pretty hard anywhere to find a 'kid' whos interested in learning about machinery and getting dirty to fix them. Certainly an,t met any in my life, they all want to sit in the seat and pull levers, but get them to help fix things :eek:
trouble is we all get older and then one day you try to lift something and body crys enough and you end up sitting on your rse with torn shoulder rotator cuffs. found this out the hard way :(
cheers merv :drinkup

tctractors

Merv, the weather here in the U.K. has been a right odd lot,with only around 3 cold days for months, but it has pi##ed down with rain just about every day resulting in some big puddles around the Parish, the down side for me is getting work inside its not realy happend, the other day I had the shout to pop up North and start up a D8H engine that I had just poked new innards to, the weather forcast was total mayhem but, I was told by N.L. the owner it was perfect and to get my backside up and fire up the beast, anyhow N.L's weather forcast missed out on the fact it was the worst storm for some few years and lets say I did my best but I am not a strong swimmer and around mid day I said stuff it, the drive home was some fun I nearly pulled over to write my good-by's to the bride it was one hell of a trip, today the Sun has been out with no rain so it must be Summer, one happy man. tctractors

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Yes you guys have made the news down here at the bottom of the world where its all sunshine :notworthy
UK the worst and wettest storms for 100 years; and the US massive cold snaps; makes me wonder what my winter will be like. But on a cheerful note worked a full weekend on my D6 over the new year, all by myself no one to annoy me, lovely warm weather, just me on my 6; bare feet, just shorts on, no singlet, just a cowboy hat to protect my bald head. Pure working bliss.:) Still worked during the week but because was people around have to wear some safety stuff like boots and day glow shirt and a hard hat if wrong persons watching, only good it would evr do was protect me from abit of bird 'dust'. Yes am abit of a hillbilly but are at least 10 years behind you guys with all the bovine excreatment some of you have to put up with. Have a great weekend TC :drinkup

Richardjw~

Good to see this thread back again........some serious hard work involved there..............even managed to get my fizog in one of Tony's pics

thanks

Richard

tctractors

Hi Richard,good to see you are still "Keeping Up" not much rain today so I stuck at it and managed to throw a left hand F/Drive up together on a D6C, the owner had to build me a road out of hard-core upto the tractor as the field has turned into a swamp, this ment winching myself and L/Rover to the dozer a few times leaving a good bit of damage to the ground, the new road is A-1 with no trouble getting along side the sick beast, all thats left is to poke in the track frames fuel tank seat etc and the Rops Cab, I was home for 5-30pm mission completed, only to find the Bride has had another pop at baking a Cake?? the last one took some fetching down but if I get stuck again in the L/R at least I have my own Hard-core. tctractors

Gavin84w

Brings back great memories for me, i did my time with the Cat dealer in Sydney starting in 85 and sprocket pulling/pusshing jobs were everywhere, big thing you had to remember was to get the absolute 100% correct gear or you were gunna have a pissed off customer. I remember doing 3 D9H sprockets in 1 day once, 1 lot was unbolted from the frame and laying on the ground and 2 others on the machine, remove blade, split track and jack sky high on the ripper and you had enough clearance to get the puller legs in then.

I saw about 18 months ago a D9H final drive with case on the ground in the middle of our shop and like has been said before most dealers don,t have the gear so our guys had all sorts of undersize legs and gear set up and i thought boy, here comes an accident, told them to pack it all up and send the final drive to Don Clark Tractors, i reckon in NSW there might be just 3-4 places that could do it now.

nicky 68a

some more of his work.
Good to see a new thread T.C.

Attachments

• 20131218_115657.jpg
    20131218_115657.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,706
  • 20131016_143236.jpg
    20131016_143236.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,708
  • 20131015_142357.jpg
    20131015_142357.jpg