• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar on road trucks and engines

Queenslander

Iam looking for another truck, not new, so I've been doing a bit of research recently.
The few Cats on the market seem to be holding their value reasonably well.
We never got to see the US CT660 style trucks here.
IMG_0187.JPG

The trucks sold here have basically been Navistar's Prostar model.
They were initially assembled at Tullamarine then possibly Geelong, not sure where they are made now.
Both the Cat and the International I mentioned earlier are virtually identical, except for motors, and are produced by a subsidiary of Navistar called Navistar Auspac.
Cat's biggest contribution now, I think, is providing the dealer network to sell them.
Iveco will e selling the Inters.
The C15 Acert is a Cat motor but the smaller CT610 truck, sold here, has a CT13 which is a Maxxforce engine.
Errors and omissions excepted....lol

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 9

Kiwi-truckwit

Iam looking for another truck, not new, so I've been doing a bit of research recently.
The few Cats on the market seem to be holding their value reasonably well.
We never got to see the US CT660 style trucks here.
View attachment 167757

The trucks sold here have basically been Navistar's Prostar model.
They were initially assembled at Tullamarine then possibly Geelong, not sure where they are made now.
Both the Cat and the International I mentioned earlier are virtually identical, except for motors, and are produced by a subsidiary of Navistar called Navistar Auspac.
Cat's biggest contribution now, I think, is providing the dealer network to sell them.
Iveco will e selling the Inters.
The C15 Acert is a Cat motor but the smaller CT610 truck, sold here, has a CT13 which is a Maxxforce engine.
Errors and omissions excepted....lol
I've only seen CT630s here, but then, our hilly terrain and increased GCMs make lesser horsepower trucks less attractive. Most new trucks here are 500hp+

Queenslander

Looks like it's all over, bar the shouting, for Cat trucks here.
This story appeared in a local trucking paper recently.

Thinking of buying a new Cat Truck? Only a handful remain on Australian dealership stands and once they're gone it's all over.

Cat-1.jpg

Cat Trucks were launched in Australlia with much fanfaire during 2010.
It would take an incredibly optimistic mind to believe that Cat Trucks are not on the edge of extinction, bringing to a close one of the most tumultuous, disjointed and ultimately disappointing brand histories to ever impact the Australian trucking industry.

As things stand right now, there is little more than a handful of new Cat-branded trucks remaining on dealers’ lots and the likelihood, according to many sources within the Cat network in this country, is that once current stocks run out, there will be no more.

From all appearances, typified to some extent by their complete absence from the recent Brisbane Truck Show, Cat-branded trucks will simply slink into oblivion.

In effect, it is following in the path of the yellow engines which were once such a proud and prominent player in the big end of the truck business before Caterpillar’s 2008 desertion from the on-highway truck engine business. Once again, it’s leaving Cat’s somewhat maligned dealer group to wrestle with the wrath of truck operators who took the Cat trucks plunge.

The full story here.....https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/indu...13012017&utm_term=list_ownerdriver_newsletter

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Thanks Queenslander.

Sad state of affairs I reckon . . . mismanagement on a considerable scale. I think they were simply up themselves. Unfortunate to see such a mindset in such a once great company.

I believe such nonsense is leading to the demise of their scraper line. I have heard of an experimental rig being tested "somewhere in Queensland" with a powered bowl on a Volvo ADT.

I know the K-techs (?) mounted on ADTs are nothing new but the drive on the bowl in that application is a new one to me.

Cheers.