• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Impact Rippers

9420pullpan

has anyone ran a Caterpillar dozer with an impact ripper such as this one.. or does anyone have any more pics of them...
Scan000169$2520$28gro$25DF$29.jpeg

rino1494

RyanCKing said:
pretty interesting.........
Never have heard of anything like that before.

Me neither........that just has to be really expensive to fix :bash

Wulf

Who needs an impact ripper?:wink2

Attachments

• d575_17a.JPG
    d575_17a.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 7,939

D10N

Occupation
Catskinner extraordinaire
We had a loaner a few years ago, as an experiment in removing knots from shovel pit floors. Didn't really help at all. If you were using it to break up an occasional boulder in cut/fill material, or for knocking out concrete chunks in reclaim/demo material it might be good. As for solid rock though, a single 7' Kelly shank is still the only good answer.

I might have some pics of it somewhere - I'll post if I find them.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Had a contractor come here from Alberta with a D-9 with a ripper on it to-do a large construction project. They said yep we will tear this rock out with the ripper well guess what the rock won they ended up busting up the machine. Nothing beats dynamite :thumbsup

Wulf

Like the picture a few posts above indicate...the big Komatsu dozers conventional track system provides a much better ripping system than (take deep breath) the Hi-drive Caterpillars.
The newer ones also have shoe slip control that reduces the engine speed if the track starts to slip during ripping. Previously an operator would need to watch the tracks and the ripper tip and use the decel pedal to try and prevent tracks spinning plus it cuts down on track and grouser wear.

Scott_527

Wulf, how does the oval track make for better ripping? I wouldn't think it would make any difference but then again i'm not someone who would know:laugh

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I don't see any advantage in oval tracks alone, maybe if the ground was uneven.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
This issue comes up once in a while and I can see how the lower sprockets of an oval track dozer would pull more in line with the ripper.A high sprocket would have the tendancy to lift the front of the dozer and in effect reduce the area of track on the ground,area that is needed for traction to do the work.Ron G

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Not that I have a lot of time ripping in hard stuff with oval tracks, but I don't see that to be true. I demoed a Deere 1050 oval track comparable power wise to our D8R and it wasn't even close in ripping or pushing. And it was such a rough ride I believe because it had less of a flatter contact patch with the oval tracks I was happy when Deere came to pick it up.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Does the Deere have bogies for the bottom rollers on their track frame?That would make a difference in traction as well as ride quality.How do the two dozers compare for weight?I could look it up I suppose but you get my point.Ron G

Wulf

RonG said:
This issue comes up once in a while and I can see how the lower sprockets of an oval track dozer would pull more in line with the ripper.A high sprocket would have the tendancy to lift the front of the dozer and in effect reduce the area of track on the ground,area that is needed for traction to do the work.Ron G

Ron, I think you are correct about the area of track on the ground and I've always been led to believe that the Cat dual idler and linked bogie system provides comfort but allows the front to go down and the back of the machine lift up during heavy ripping reducing traction and increasing shoe slip.
Komatsu and Cat ripper linkage/configuration is also different

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I suppose if the ripper was mounted high enough on the back side of the dozer it could have the effect of forcing the front end down but in so doing it would make the rear of the track frame lighter,reducing traction where you need it for pulling effort.I am sure the engineers have that all figured out.I wonder how drawbar pulls compared to an oval track dozer like Komatsu which does have the bogie system for their bottom rollers?
All the Cat hightrack dozers that I have run have seemed nose heavy,especially those with nothing mounted behind the fuel tank like a winch or ripper for a counterweight.
I noticed on that JD page every single picture had the lower track frame covered so you could not see the bottom rollers.I have run the 750 enough to get a feel for it and it was impressive but not enough for me to choose it over the Cat unless I was doing work in real tight quarters,I think the Cat gives up a little in visibility in the sprocket area.
From the 650 on down I will choose JD every time but Cat gets the nod for anything larger.Ron G

Scott_527

Wulf said:
Deere propaganda figuring that the 1050 outrips the competition...
That's the same as any company though. They all have some contractor out there to tell everyone about how great thier brand is. In thier own opinions theyre the best, or at least they tell you they are.

Scott_527

Wulf said:
Komatsu and Cat ripper linkage/configuration is also different
Maybe it's just an illusion but I've always though that Komatsu had their rear attachment a little bit higher than the Cats of the same size.

Wulf

Scott_527 said:
Maybe it's just an illusion but I've always though that Komatsu had their rear attachment a little bit higher than the Cats of the same size.

It's a tough call on these two...

Attachments

• D475A.jpg
    D475A.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,805
  • d11rbak.jpg
    d11rbak.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,827