• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat no 12 grader starter conversion

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Them are the fuel filters. Be careful not to break the retention rods. To bleed the system, take a old inner tube and cut a 4"or so hole in it away from valve. To use it to bleed slip it over the tank filler, clamp it, and fill some air into it. Do not go over 5 lbs., it does not take much. Go thru the system bleeding the top of the filters until all air is gone and then bleed to the bleeders behind each injector. There is a cat tool to loosen them, or some use a 1/4 drive socket and extension. Takes a small socket but I don't know the size, I have a Cat bleeder tool.

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
That's what I was thinking old magnet I wonder if I can still get them from cat or if they have updated it their was about 1/2" of sludge on them and the housing is full of crap I opened up the drain on the bottom and I poured a few gallons of diesel through to flush out the housing if I can I need to buy a few sets so I can change them out so the system will be clean again I asked my father in law when they got changed last he can't remember I can't believe this grader ran with all that sludge on them inner it will idol now and give me a little more power

jmg

Looks to be same filters in my d69u. Got the last filters from cat a few years back, they are cotton yarn wound. If you need a part # I can find it tomorrow, Wix also makes them. You will be surprised at the power after changing those filters.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Looks to be same filters in my d69u. Got the last filters from cat a few years back, they are cotton yarn wound. If you need a part # I can find it tomorrow, Wix also makes them. You will be surprised at the power after changing those filters.
If you can get me the part number I would greatly appreciate it they are a cotton yarn filter I will check out the wix filters do they still come in that 4 pack configuration

jmg

Fuel filter #2A5886 need 4ea
Gasket #7B7635 need 2ea
Engine Oil filter #1R-0659 need 2ea
Seal for oil filter #5B-5937 need 2ea
I don't know if the engine oil filters are the same. Believe it or not Cat filters were cheaper. Fill that filter chamber with fuel and slide the filter cluster in slow so the filters can fill with fuel. I think there is a plug on top of filter cap to fill it the rest of the way up.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Thanks I appreciate it I will take a look at those from what I saw I didn't see a filler hole in the top of the housing

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If you can get me the part number I would greatly appreciate it they are a cotton yarn filter I will check out the wix filters do they still come in that 4 pack configuration

Them are very common Cat filters. They were the norm for many years. The bigger machines just use more of them.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Surprisingly enough my dad walked into cat today and they had 2 sets of fuel filters the gaskets and both oil filters and gaskets on the self not bad for 160 out the door we were looking at the wix filters just two sets alone were 102 out the door when I get the filters from my dad I will post the part numbers for anyone who is interested also could anyone tell me how many gallons of oil that engine holds

Jakebreak

Occupation
well I still haven't got the grader running old magnet your inner tube over the fuel tank works like a charm I was able to bleed the fuel filter housing the injector pump had good fuel but after the pump going into the injectors I don't have good fuel coming out of the lines with air pressure and turning the engine over it still wont fire. I did notice the injector lines were loose after I tightened the nut on the injectors so I took the lines off and all of the lines either have half of the flared end of the line missing or their is a metal collar that sits above them as a washer are broken so I'm going to find some new injector lines from cat. since I went that far I went ahead and pulled the injectors out the injector nozzles were all backed off about a 1/4 to half turn their was a bunch of junk in the screens on them so I'm going to have them tested to make sure their still good. also when I pressure the system and bleed it the fuel gauge comes up to green which is good but I think the seat in the by pass valve might need to be replaced cause it keeps pissing some fuel out of the drain tubes

Old Magnet

The bypass valve has nothing to do with drain lines. Drain line function is 1. Vent from the fuel filter housing which is tied into the drain from the transfer pump packing cavity. 2. Separate line drains fuel that leaks past injection pumps.

Jakebreak

Occupation
The bypass valve has nothing to do with drain lines. Drain line function is 1. Vent from the fuel filter housing which is tied into the drain from the transfer pump packing cavity. 2. Separate line drains fuel that leaks past injection pumps.
ok I'm trying to figure out when I got the system purged up to the injection pump and the fuel pressure gauge showed it was in the green I kept having fuel drizzle out of the small drain tube I know I'm not putting more than 10lbs of air to the tank just curious if maybe something was stuck open or I'm confused about the by pass valve thank you for your help

Old Magnet

The by pass valve or relief valve maintains the pressure to injection pump fuel gallery at about 15 psi. Over pressure flow is directed back to the transfer pump inlet, sort of a closed circuit. The tell tale drip lines indicate leakage from the items I mentioned.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Well I’m stumped I still can’t get that grader running I found out my injector lines were bad so I got 6 new ones while I was there I decided to pull injectors and have them tested they were bad got new ones put it all back together hooked an air compressor to the tank to help bleed had good fuel to pump no air I was getting better fuel at the head than when I did it still won’t fire. I am spinning the engine as I do it I feel like I hav enough heat in the engine I’m getting a decent amount of smoke out the exhaust when I’m cranking I’m wondering if I should get the injection pump tested to make sure it doesn’t need to be rebuilt

Jakebreak

Occupation
We pulled the side cover off the pump and cycled the throttle and it was moving I was thinking it might of been that unless I took the wrong cover off I will take another look at the rack and see if I missed something Thanks old magnet for your help what else should I be looking for in the rack besides seeing the throttle moving the rack

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
A dumb question on my part; you feel you have enough heat? How did you determine that? When I did my conversion of my 212, in retrospect, I had no idea just how much heat that pony engine provided. I should have hit it with an infrared gun and got a number (again in hindsight.)
I have now a water jacket heater, that I plug in an hour before I try to start it. That seems to do the trick. Somewhere here, I read about someone with a propane torch preheating. through the old pony exhaust system.

Again, I was surprised at how much heat was provided by the pony. Checking the preheat is a bit cheaper than diving into the fuel pump I think.
Of course this is free advice, so you know how much it is worth...

Old Magnet

We pulled the side cover off the pump and cycled the throttle and it was moving I was thinking it might of been that unless I took the wrong cover off I will take another look at the rack and see if I missed something Thanks old magnet for your help what else should I be looking for in the rack besides seeing the throttle moving the rack

While you have the side cover off make sure all the pump lifters are traveling up and down when rolling over the engine. Does the rack make full travel at full throttle?

Jakebreak

Occupation
A dumb question on my part; you feel you have enough heat? How did you determine that? When I did my conversion of my 212, in retrospect, I had no idea just how much heat that pony engine provided. I should have hit it with an infrared gun and got a number (again in hindsight.)
I have now a water jacket heater, that I plug in an hour before I try to start it. That seems to do the trick. Somewhere here, I read about someone with a propane torch preheating. through the old pony exhaust system.

Again, I was surprised at how much heat was provided by the pony. Checking the preheat is a bit cheaper than diving into the fuel pump I think.
Of course this is free advice, so you know how much it is worth...
How does the water jacket heater work how would I put one in I’m just guessing about how much heat I might have by the white smoke but your right I never put a temp gun on it so I don’t know 100%

Jakebreak

Occupation
While you have the side cover off make sure all the pump lifters are traveling up and down when rolling over the engine. Does the rack make full travel at full throttle?
It would do good til about 3/4 throttle on the hand throttle then it would get stiff but on the pedal I can get it to full throttle