• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D7D Non-Running Project

Welder Dave

It was left to rot because the guy who bought it was diagnosed with cancer soon after he got it. He passed away maybe 10 years ago. I bought it from his son. Meant a lot to his son to see it running again.
This is confusing. What did you buy it for? You were asking $8K with it running?

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I could sell that dozer NZ$10,000 in this market , maybe more in a couple of weeks , at most . Its a runner with some minor issues . Collectors would chase it . I've just sold 1 dozer , 1 977 loader and two Priestman drag line things in a few hours . All under threat of the scrap metal man . Plenty of nay sayers on that job to . US$ 8,000 bit steep in the US market considering what can be bought , where its marketed will determine if it meets the sellers expectations .

Welder Dave

Those are all unknowns except that the undercarriage is shot. Most people aren't going to gamble the drive train and hyd's. are in working condition on a machine that has been sitting over a decade. Worn out tracks make the machine unusable as a working dozer. I don't think a D7D is a particularly rare or desirable model so as a whole it is a wrecked tractor. The engine and winch working have some value IF someone was needing them. It wouldn't be worth it in time or money to put new undercarriage on an antique dozer to make it a working dozer.

bulletpruf

This is confusing. What did you buy it for? You were asking $8K with it running?

The guy was asking $5k, not running. Had been sitting in the same spot for 12 years. I thought about buying it and decided to get it running in the meantime. I got it running and driving with a bit of work and decided not to buy it because I figured it would take $30k to replace the undercarriage and get it in operating condition again.

When I told the owner I didn't want it, he put the ad back up and upped the price to $8k

I enjoyed wrenching on it, made a few new friends, and filmed 3 videos for my YouTube channel, so I didn't lose sleep over the time I spent wrenching on it and the $ I spent on fuel, oil, etc.

chidog

Even scrap is way over priced these days. That dozer should be given away to some young ambitious kid, like me back in the day. The work and time required to revive that is just not worth it.
Collectors only would be interested.

Welder Dave

The guy was asking $5k, not running. Had been sitting in the same spot for 12 years. I thought about buying it and decided to get it running in the meantime. I got it running and driving with a bit of work and decided not to buy it because I figured it would take $30k to replace the undercarriage and get it in operating condition again.

When I told the owner I didn't want it, he put the ad back up and upped the price to $8k

I enjoyed wrenching on it, made a few new friends, and filmed 3 videos for my YouTube channel, so I didn't lose sleep over the time I spent wrenching on it and the $ I spent on fuel, oil, etc.
Sentimental value doesn't make it worth more. Running makes it maybe a $1500-$2000 parts machine for the engine and maybe the winch. Not running was worth scrap.

PeterP9

Occupation
Moving dirt and washing rocks.
That Dozer is unfortunately worth what it weighs. A D7D isn't a particularly rare nor desirable machine for someone to restore. IMO the most important thing on a crawler is the U/C and there isn't much left there. No way that machine is worth 8k.

JaredV

Who cares what it's worth or what the seller can get? Bulletpruf wisely decided not to buy it but he still helped the guy out and had $500 worth of fun getting it running. That's a cheap vacation in my book. It'll sell for whatever someone is willing to give with enough time and it's none of ours problem. Or maybe it's a plot to get the owner to lower his price so one of you can get it cheaper? Ha!

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Theses are some of the comments about a D7 I just sold . There are many more , mostly positive . The laugh is on the first guy as it sold for the 10k. Bulletpruf's project is a runner . There are plenty of late model dozers where the risk is unknown in the final drives , motor and transmission that appear among these threads , this one is no different . 100 hours work would have the dozer paid for .

{{{{ No way he's getting 10 k for scrap dozer though. I get it, but also - if you really want it gone and are ready to accept scrap price, then 10k is a bit of a laugh }}}}
{{{{ How about instead of trying to sell off history you donate to a museum....ohhh that's right.... you just want money.... shame on you }}}}
{{{ In a friendly way - less talk and more action to save this machine and spares. Scrap prices are low and are even lower for large items that need to be picked up with a transporter and gas-cut up back at the yard for "processing". Someone needs to show up with a transporter and $2,000 in folding. Job done. Good luck. }}}
{{{ Give you 3 grand for that bulldozer . Scrappy wont be paying much more than that.. whats a reasonable price then. 10k is far to steep }

chidog

100 hours of work you say?
Those old junkers are not like a nice power shift, and a normal blade control lever, nor is the steering system boosted on most of them. I know I could not produce on one of them, I feel for those old timers that did. My right arm would be in a sling after the first 4 hours, I know I ran a D6C (and a D8H bubble nose) with the same lever as the bubble nose D8's use for blade control, it was horrible and I was a youngin then.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
100 hours of work you say?
Those old junkers are not like a nice power shift, and a normal blade control lever, nor is the steering system boosted on most of them. I know I could not produce on one of them, I feel for those old timers that did. My right arm would be in a sling after the first 4 hours, I know I ran a D6C (and a D8H bubble nose) with the same lever as the bubble nose D8's use for blade control, it was horrible and I was a youngin then.
Plenty of old guys would pounce on that to operate it for a few hours a day . This one may suit the younger set to with the direct electric start rather spoilt . I never felt operating old dozers in the arms , as for the knees on my D4's , thats a different story .

chidog

On those long levers mounted horizontal, you have to use your shoulder to do most of the work, as well as hanging your whole arm in the air. Its just better ergonomics to have your arm down like all the newer stuff has. The D8's with the side mounted hydraulics are what I like, and some of the newer stuff is okay as long as its not a wrist twist deal, handy yes but bad on my wrist.
I like pony motors have no issue with them, and best part there is always a compression release with them, great for a runaway.

bulletpruf

Who cares what it's worth or what the seller can get? Bulletpruf wisely decided not to buy it but he still helped the guy out and had $500 worth of fun getting it running. That's a cheap vacation in my book. It'll sell for whatever someone is willing to give with enough time and it's none of ours problem. Or maybe it's a plot to get the owner to lower his price so one of you can get it cheaper? Ha!

$500 worth of fun is right on point. I really did enjoy getting the old girl running again.