• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D7D Non-Running Project

bulletpruf

I'm thinking about buying a non-running D7D project. It's complete, said to have been running 5 years ago. Owner thinks it may need injectors or an injection pump, so I suspect it's having fuel issues. He also indicated it would need hydraulic work; hopefully it's just busted hoses.

It has a hydraulic blade, ROPS, electric start, Hyster D7D winch. Engine is a 4 cylinder turbo.

First question - does this appear to be a D7D?

367633970_4841020866022155_1904021077427653196_n.jpg

Delmer

That's a good story, and a fun project. From here, the track pads look good, but bent. The sprockets look a little slick, can't tell the rest of the undercarriage, and that's what matters as much as anything, you can find the measurements easy enough.

Are you looking for a project working on a machine, or do you have a dirt moving goal in mind?

bulletpruf

That's a good story, and a fun project. From here, the track pads look good, but bent. The sprockets look a little slick, can't tell the rest of the undercarriage, and that's what matters as much as anything, you can find the measurements easy enough.

Are you looking for a project working on a machine, or do you have a dirt moving goal in mind?

I'm looking for a project working on a machine. I've been wrenching on muscle cars for many years, and dabble in diesel pickup trucks, too. Now that I'm retired from the Army, I have a bit more time to wrench just for the sake of wrenching...

grandpa

Bought a brand new one in 1962. Hydraulic pump mounted on lower half of radiator.
Engine runs hot because it only had half a radiator. Hydraulic pumps every summer eaten up by the heat. Turbo's never lasted. Im sure glad Cat improved or I'd be broke by now.

bulletpruf

Bought a brand new one in 1962. Hydraulic pump mounted on lower half of radiator.
Engine runs hot because it only had half a radiator. Hydraulic pumps every summer eaten up by the heat. Turbo's never lasted. Im sure glad Cat improved or I'd be broke by now.

Ouch! That does not seem like a great design.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Take a good look at the exhaust manifold. They were bad about rotting out and they are hard to come by. My understanding from friends in the antique cat works is that they’re north of a $1,000 for the manifold IF you can find one.

I have done some trading for a 17a myself, a later one like that with bolt on segments, hyd blade, electric start and a turbo. I wish the one I got had a rear winch like that machine. It does have two blades.

bulletpruf

Take a good look at the exhaust manifold. They were bad about rotting out and they are hard to come by. My understanding from friends in the antique cat works is that they’re north of a $1,000 for the manifold IF you can find one.

I have done some trading for a 17a myself, a later one like that with bolt on segments, hyd blade, electric start and a turbo. I wish the one I got had a rear winch like that machine. It does have two blades.

Good info on the exhaust manifold Thanks!

bulletpruf

Question - this would have originally had a cable operated blade, right? And this one was converted to hydraulic at some point?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The D7C, released in 1955, was naturally aspirated. The D7D appeared in 1959, and the only major differences between the D7C and D7D was the D7D was now turbocharged - and it came with a new design of full pressure lubricated transmission, so the tractor could work on steep slopes without fear of transmission bearings being starved of oil.

The D7C was 128FHP and the D7D was 140FHP. The D7D was only in production for 2 years, before being replaced by the all-new D7E in 1961.

The main problem with the D7D was the final drives were basically identical to the D7 3T, released in 1944, which produced 93FHP.
So, by 1959 Cat were putting 140HP through final drives that were originally designed for 93HP.

As a result, D7D final drives are the main weakness of the tractor. You need to drain a little oil from the final drive cases and check for metal.
I see where the tractor is sporting modern bolt-on sprockets, so she's had some $$'s spent on her sometime.

However, those track shoes are definitely very thin, and have little strength left to resist bending - despite the grousers being rebuilt and being of adequate height.

The RH track adjuster is shot and is going to need repair. The equalizer mainspring is badly sagged and needs resetting. It may even have one or more broken leaves.
You've got some work to do on that tractor before it gets back to good operating order.

I see nowhere that the tractor has had cable control. Cat hydraulics and hydraulic blades were available from 1947, and they started to become a lot more popular in the 1950's as owners and operators realised hydraulics were lower maintenance than cable control - despite the powerful arguments put up by the cable control lobby (largely led by R.G. le Tourneau).

tctractors

I would look for a better one and cut this 1 up for parts, it's a lot more fun to restore a good one that only needs time and care than a $$$$$$$ Pit like this, the undercart looks scrap to me and forget those plates they are done fore, the segments are knacker jobs so the bushings will be the same, you would blow $15' or $20' Large making this beast look half handy, it does have some nice areas but nothing to save it from the Pot.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Question - this would have originally had a cable operated blade, right? And this one was converted to hydraulic at some point?
Could be , but more likely not . Serial number tag has gone by the looks of the first picture in post #10 , there could be a number on the block cast into it somewhere below the generator just above the crankcase . You may need it

bulletpruf

I would look for a better one and cut this 1 up for parts, it's a lot more fun to restore a good one that only needs time and care than a $$$$$$$ Pit like this, the undercart looks scrap to me and forget those plates they are done fore, the segments are knacker jobs so the bushings will be the same, you would blow $15' or $20' Large making this beast look half handy, it does have some nice areas but nothing to save it from the Pot.

Ok, thanks for the input!

bulletpruf

Could be , but more likely not . Serial number tag has gone by the looks of the first picture in post #10 , there could be a number on the block cast into it somewhere below the generator just above the crankcase . You may need it

Gotcha. Thanks!