• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat C9 High Soot Levels

Queenslander

Iam trying to find the cause of high soot levels in our 2013 built D6R, S6T00779.
This is a tier 2 motor.. we had some discussion about it here...https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/d6r-track-wear.76755/page-2
The dozer had new injectors and heui pump about 200hrs before we bought it.
It had 5400 hrs on it at that stage, but before working it we had our Cat dealer give it a 6000 hr service...so changed every drop of oil, coolant, filters etc. as well as checking valve clearances.
We initially worked it for 40 hrs before changing oil and retesting.
The machine uses next to no oil, has very little blow by and runs very cool regardless of ambient temperature.
I later had aftermarket undercarriage fitted and while it was there I got them to check boost pressure with ET which came back within spec.
Certainly doesn’t lack power.
Fuel usage is around high 20s to mid 30s litres per hour.
Machine constantly blows black smoke, might not be considered excessive but it’s always there, particularly at low to mid revs.
Last suggestion on the test result is to check engine data..wondering if it is possible that horsepower has been lifted beyond the 195 advertised.
444A17C5-7F67-447E-ACB0-F94E16840A67.jpeg
IMG_2383.JPG

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
i would check the accuracy of the atmospheric pressure sensor with ET as it sets the base line for all the engine pressure sensor readings including boost
I would also perform a timing calibration with ET

Queenslander

i would check the accuracy of the atmospheric pressure sensor with ET
Thanks Mark, I’ll definitely do that... providing I can resist the temptation to just whack a new one on.
It’ll cost me more than the price of a new sensor to get someone to make a special trip.

Queenslander

Haven’t delved into the precleaner yet, but I did run it briefly without the outer filter and cover on the housing.
Admittedly, only at idle but didn’t improve the smoke level at all.

Cmark

It smokes at idle?? Who changed the injectors? I would want to confirm the correct part number has been installed.

Also a long shot. One-time, and one-time only, I had a C9 in an excavator with the turbo wastegate stuck open causing smoke at all RPMs.

Queenslander

Not sure about injectors, apparently they were replaced first and pump shortly afterwards by Hastings Deering.
I do have the serial numbers of the injectors from the PSR that the undercarriage mob did for me.
Wastegate “appears” ok, I gently put air to it and it freely moves about 90 degrees.

Cmark

Fair enough. If HD replaced the injectors then they should be right.
Next question is why were they replaced? Has this smoke issue been a long-term problem?

Back to Mark's comments above.

Queenslander

I should have been more careful with my answer above.
I don’t know who replaced the injectors, but I do know that HD replaced the pump, possibly up to 200 hrs later.

Cmark

Well then that should be a fairly simple check. Pop the lid off and check the injector part numbers. Does the PSR list the part numbers? I'm not sure.

Cmark

See the column saying tattletale? That's the number of times the trim files have been changed. Someone has been having a good old fiddle with this engine. I'd be even more curious to see the part numbers now.

Queenslander

It’ll be at least a week before I’ll have it home from where it is working.
Just thinking out loud.. if I were to get HD to organise the correct injectors and bring them out, along with an atmospheric pressure sensor and anything else you might suggest.. what do you are my chances of success might be?
If those particular parts aren’t at fault they could take them back but at least we could get a computer on the machine and do some investigation/calibration etc.

Cmark

I don't see why not. The only problem could be that there only appears to be 3 reman injectors in BNE, the rest are in Cat Yatala so they would have to be ordered and you may be hit with a surcharge if you return them. You need to speak with a service advisor about it.

Where are you based?

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
If you get HD out remind them to bring the timing probe. Not sure how your guys are set up but we didn't carry the timing kit as standard in our service vehicles and would have to book through the tool store when needed
I ended up getting my own gear and still have it

Queenslander

We are north of Chinchilla on the Western Downs and deal with HD out of Toowoomba.
On part numbers.. are you getting 20R-8063 for a reman injector?
Seems to be a choice of two numbers for new.
Also seems to be two engine sensor groups, neither of which list the S6T prefix.