• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 955K TURNS over but wont run.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Before even thinking of buying a head I would do some very close inspection on the rest of the engine. As I said above in message 212 I would be very worried about this engine! Those are about the worst cracks I have ever seen in a head. If someone keep running it with coolant low due to the cracks there is no telling how much other damage there might be. Scored cylinders and scuffed up pistons might be just the start of things. I would be worried about things like cracked block, bad main and rod bearings, scored crank and bad cam bearings, just to name a few.

I doubt this damage you have already found happened in the last couple minutes it ran before being parked! I believe I have said it before, I'd put out some feelers to try to source a running take out engine. That would still involve a bit of risk but the only other option I would feel comfortable with from what I have seen is a total tear down and careful cleaning of each and every part with a close examination of all components.

Anything less would, in my opinion, just be asking for something to bit you hard in the pocketbook five minutes after it does fire up for the first time. Either that or hire an old retired Cat mechanic to come out and evaluate it as it set right now. If he doesn't have grey hair find someone else. This is not a job for someone who's first step in fixing a machine involves finding the plug-in-port for his laptop

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Price new valves and springs at Off Road Equipment in Alcoa Tn. They are very cheap parts and not a lot of pain to replace. just lap them in the refurb head. You can see how I did my valves on my thread, "Cat 951 C in my sights".

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As usual Ken has hit the nail right on the head ...........

The head has obviously been cooked, well done in this case as opposed to medium rare. So that being the case what is the likely condition of things like cylinder liner seals, and then as we progress further down the engine the crankshaft, camshaft, and oil pump..?

It's bite the bullet time and pull the engine out, strip the whole thing and do a condition report on it. Then once the full extent of the damage is known you can start to rebuild from a known condition, or start looking for a replacement donk, or both. There are too many ifs, buts, & maybes flying around right now after having seen the actual condition of the head.

If you want a saga of an optimist regarding the extent of damage to an engine from what seemed (to the OP anyway) a "minor" problem, read all 15 pages of this thread .......... https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/d6c-cat-loss-of-oil-pressure.63891/

Themaskman72

Ok everyone, an update....got the refurb head and new valves springs keepers fuel nozzles gaskets.......everything is back assembled....my John Deere 310c back hoe has a hot wire that runs to the injection pump, my question is does the 955L also need a hot wire to the injection pump? Remember this machine has a 3304 pc engine.

AllDodge

No, there is no electrical connection to the pump. It uses only the mechanical governor handle

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Almost forgot about this engine. As others have said no electric to the injector pump but there is a wiring harness that connects to the glow plugs, usually a wire that plugs in at the rear of engine. Just wondering how the cylinders looked while the head was off. As cooked as the head was I'm still worried about the rest of the engine.

You need to be sure the glow plugs are working before you spend hours trying to get this engine to start. It may be warm in NC but I would still use the glow plugs for the first start of the day.

Leave lines very loose at the nozzle adapters and crank it over till you get fuel coming out of all the lines from the injector pump.

Also as I believe this engine has not run in at least a couple years I would have everything off on the intake side of the turbo and have a plate of steel to slap over the intake to kill the engine if there is a problem in the governor on start up and it starts to run away.

One more thing I would make sure you see oil pressure while cranking before you let it start.

Good luck and report back what ever happens.

Themaskman72

Update.....finally this old beast alive again. Oil pressure looks good. It is running sweet. Fires right up at first try now. Have a small oil leak and water leak due to faulty gaskets but otherwise performing perfectly at this point. Thanks to everyone who advised me and sent me info on this adventure. I will update a few more times as I get all the cob webs worked off.....I'm sure I will have some more questions.....thanks again!!!!