• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 955K TURNS over but wont run.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Using the 85J w/3304 these would be the part numbers

That's what I was looking at too but just wanted to have the original poster confirm the exact serial number off his engine.

Also did some digging and saw where for the D330 enigne they used the same gaskets but packaged them as a "kit" under the number 2S8966 which when put in the NPR section the kit breaks down to the number shown in you attachment above.

Still wondering what the heck the dealer sent him, that's why I asked for a picture.

Themaskman72

I went to the local cat spot and ordered them, I knew right away they weren't right so I didn't take them, I told him u would call back in a little bit with the part numbers, he did actually have the right pc removal tool though lol.

Themaskman72

The part numbers that alldodge posted in the illustration is exactly the right ones. I found them an hour ago and the illustration confirms. The cat guy ordered 5s7221 and 1070268.

AllDodge

Posted mine with the caption after reading Nige post. Figured I already made it up, just post incase they were the right ones. I would bet the farm on others post, not so much with mine

Cmark

Be aware that the precups changed part number several years ago and they use a different O ring. A couple of times I have been caught out by ordering the correct O rings for the serial number, only to find that later precups have been fitted at some point.

AllDodge

Looking up in SIS I found 5s7221 is the exhaust valve seat insert on serial numbers 85j4672 thru 6246. Part number 1070268 is also a valve seat insert on a lot of motors

kshansen

Occupation
Be aware that the precups changed part number several years ago and they use a different O ring. A couple of times I have been caught out by ordering the correct O rings for the serial number, only to find that later precups have been fitted at some point.

I wasn't aware of that. Do you know how to tell the difference?

I did a search on NPR for the 8S3970 and it looks like that is an updated number for the 8S3990 chamber but there is no reference to a service magazine or mention of a change to the oring. Was this change on a 3304 or some other prechamber engine? Not doubting just wanting to learn something new, so the day is not a total loss!

Cmark

I wasn't aware of that. Do you know how to tell the difference?

I did a search on NPR for the 8S3970 and it looks like that is an updated number for the 8S3990 chamber but there is no reference to a service magazine or mention of a change to the oring. Was this change on a 3304 or some other prechamber engine? Not doubting just wanting to learn something new, so the day is not a total loss!

From memory, the early ones had the white O ring that suffers from perishing. Later ones have a yellow silicone O ring that's a different size.

Themaskman72

Ok here's the latest, I've been super busy trying to get both machines I have going again. Got the backhoe done and it's perfect. Now for the 955L, I put New seals and o rings on the pcs and fuel nozzle hold downs and lines. No more white puffs of smoke coming out from around the pcs. Still won't start. Installed a new starter because I thought the old,one was too weak. 0128171302a.jpg 0128171303.jpg Ran the coolant pressure test so that the question about where did the coolant go could get answered for US. Found a cracked part. I don't know what it is because I came here first to get some insight from the pros. I am attaching the pics. It is right where my finger is pointing. Please tell me what it is, and will this cracked part prevent it from starting. Thanks guys!!0128171302a.jpg 0128171303.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Took a little to figure out where the crack was, top picture is such a close-up I could not tell what you were pointing to in it. Unless I'm not seeing right that is the casting for the front of the engine oil cooler. Only thing inside there would be coolant. That would explain why there was no coolant in the head or engine.

As for it preventing the engine from starting, well no but you should not run it till this is fixed as you must have a bad coolant leak there and to run it with no coolant in it will cause other problems fast.

I'm also having a bad feeling about this engine. To have a crack there and the nasty rust I saw inside the head makes me think this engine was run with straight water and left set that way and it froze. This crack maybe only the tip of the iceberg, pun fully intended. There may be other parts damaged from freezing. It might be worth filling it with coolant and let it set for a day if it will even hold it that long with this crack. Then open drain on crankcase to see if there is any coolant in there. Note that I said fill with COOLANT, that was for two reasons. First being I would not want to be responsible for damage from freezing again and also I feel coolant will actually leak faster that water and be easy to identify if it got to somewhere it should not be.

If you can assure this does not have any other leaks I will try to look up the part number for this cracked casting if you do want to replace it. Then once you get that fixed we can worry about why it has not started. If it becomes absolutely necessary to get it running before making further repairs we could do that but any possible damage will be your's and your's alone.

Last edited:

Themaskman72

Just to confirm where this is located, if I'm sitting in the machine looking down on the engine, it is on the left side of the engine toward the back right behind the oil filter. So is that still the same part you were talking about?

kshansen

Occupation
cooler elbow.png
Okay here is the part you are pointing to with the crack, yes I know yours does not have that extra cover with the two bolts in it. Your elbow as they call it is "No Longer Available". this one is the "newer" version and is still available from Cat. Hang on to your wallet as that casting (6N0122) is just over $460.00! And that does not include any of the other numbers in that list. Have to wander how many gallons of antifreeze $460.00 could buy, the old "Pay me now or pay me lots more latter thing".

If you want to try to locate a used elbow casting your original part number would have been 2P2677, so that or the 6N0122 would work.

If you are wondering why they added that little cover, well that is where they mount the flow switch that works a warning light in the cab of the newer machines to let you know the water pump has stopped pumping.

Welder Dave

Brazing would be the best option but is still a fair amount of work to do it right. I'd try and find a good used one first. In the overall scheme of things, a $500 repair on a 955 isn't a worst case scenario.

Themaskman72

Yes I agree, $500 repair on a 955 isn't bad, but since I've started this project I'm about $1000 in then $500 more and still haven't gotten it fired up.

Themaskman72

Thanks kshan for the part number, I found one for $50. I ordered it of course. While I wait can someone tell me the purpose of 2 radiator caps? One is like what you would find on a regular car and the other is around 4" with a steel screw on cap. Also before I took the cracked part off today, I turned the engine over to see if maybe the caterpillar ferry came by and sprinkled magic dust on it and it might start...,It didn't. More importantly I noticed white smoke coming from the radiator overflow. What do you think of that?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
More importantly I noticed white smoke coming from the radiator overflow. What do you think of that?
My first thought woud be a cracked cylinder head. I hope I'm wrong but having been glued to this saga since the beginning I'm starting to get a baaaaaad feeling that the coolant in this engine has been frozen up at some point in the past.....

Themaskman72

Well my thinking was along the lines of blown head gasket or cracked head. After I replace the cracked piece, would running another coolant pressure test expose if it is either?