1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 950F II error codes

Discussion in 'Wheel Loaders' started by Newguy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Newguy

Newguy Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 1997 CAT 950F II loader with a bunch of error codes on the dash, i think i know the reason for few of them but is there a way to find out what they are and to clear them manually without the need to visit to the local CAT dealer?
    I also have another issue which is when i raise the boom for the first time in the day it drops down two feet and stops immediately no matter how high i raise it once i let go of the raising lever it drops then stops right away and it does it only once, i was told on my old post that it has something to do with the ride control system which in reality i don't see the point of it when iam operating the machine, but i turned the ride control switch off but nothing changed, could that be a faulty relief valve somewhere?
    Iam also looking for the injectors timing adjustment tooling.. anyone?

A super B-train load of thanks! :)

2. Mark250

Mark250 Senior Member

heavy equipment technician
    a serial number would help
    can you list the codes that are displayed
    Mark

3. Newguy

Newguy Member

Hi Mark,
    The S/N: 5SK02577, and here are the codes:

1- 096F03
    2- 110F08
    3- 177F04
    4- 248F02
    5- 324F05
    6- 600F04
    7- 819F02
    8- 821F04
    9- 081
    10- 621F02
    11- 680F02
    12- 617F05
    13- 668F02
    14- 168F00
    15- 168F01

Just to explain i was rebuilding the cabin on this machine and i ran it few times with a bad alternator and the transmission was not shifting, and few other times with the instrument cluster removed, i thought this might be related to some of the codes.

Thanks.

4. Mark250

Mark250 Senior Member

hi, when you scroll through the codes do any of them display (SERV CODE) in the upper right hang corner. they will be active codes if present
    and yes you can clear the codes with out a visit from the dealer if you need the procedure just ask
    96 fuel level sender
    110 engine temp sensor
    177 trans temp sensor
    248 data link
    324 action lamp
    600 hyd temp sensor
    819 display data link
    821 display power supply
    621 down shift switch
    680 ride control switch
    617 air inlet heater relay
    668 shift handle
    168 electrical system voltage
    all these are fairly typical of disconnected circuits or low system voltage

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  5. Newguy

Newguy Member

Hi Mark, thanks for the info, by looking at the break down of the codes almost all of them are related to the repairs i did on the machine back in the day, i also looked at the dash and there's a " SERV CODE" where you said it might be, but i want to mention that the codes are not appearing at the moment, the SERV CODE is just present on the corner above the meter reading, the codes i mentioned i recorded them last year and iam not sure if they started flashing as i connected the instrument cluster or they appeared after i indued them in some sort of way, so at the moment there are no codes flashing and the machine is running perfectly fine, though i feel it's a little not as responsive as i think it should and this is why iam looking for the Injector timing tooling.
    Please supply the procedure to clear the codes.
    Thank you

6. Mark250

Mark250 Senior Member

hi here is procedure to clear codes you can only do this when the code is displayed and not actgive
    descrfiption.png footnote.png modes.png scroll box.png
    you don't have to go to the trouble of making a scroll box but is very handy as you can do other stuff as well
    just use some jumper wires
    usually under the dash there will be either a 4 pin sure seal connector or a four pin deutch connecter this is the service connecter that you use for this process
    Mark

7. Newguy

Newguy Member

Thank you very much for the procedure, i will try to get on it sometime this coming week and i will revert with the results.