• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 933 realistic capabilities

oarwhat

Very similar to a 931B/C, almost identical. Maybe just a little lighter. Good machine but need to loosen the tracks a little. Not a clear enough pic. to see the shape of the sprocket or undercarriage. Undercarriage is the 1st thing to inspect because if it needs replacing could be over $10K.
Like Dave says we need pictures of the undercarriage to make sure you're not buying a money pit.

Dnewell

Wow that was some good information, stuff I never would have even thought about. I haven’t even contacted the guy yet as I’m still trying to decide if it’s what I want, and if it pencils out. This seems to be the best picture of the undercarriage he has posted. The ad says it has a good undercarriage, but he didn’t list a percentage. 1708395164905.png

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This seems to be the best picture of the undercarriage he has posted. The ad says it has a good undercarriage,
Ask him if he has better (more closeups) photos of the undercarriage. You need a set of photos showing both sides of the machine.
It's hard to make out just from that one photo but the sprocket teeth give me the impression of being a bit "pointy" (aka worn)......

Welder Dave

I noticed the teeth look kind of pointy too and the roller flanges look close to hitting the pin bosses. What is really noticeable is how over tight the track is and the idler blocks are past the end of the track frame. It could just be a cover on the idler block past the track frame though. Some better close up pics. would help but I'd say the undercarriage will need work sooner rather than later. The pads look good.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Personally, I don't think the undercarriage is all that bad, I'd have to hazard a guess at around 50% life left.
But as Nige says, close up photos - and more importantly - actual measuring of components is what is needed to get an exact idea of condition of the undercarriage overall.

The important thing to remember is the life left in the undercarriage is directly related to the worst-worn component.

So if the pins and bushings and sprockets are severely worn via a lot of work in abrasive soils or excessive high speed operation, then the pins and bushings and sprockets will reach the end of their working life, while the chain links/rails and track rollers will still have life left in them.

Welder Dave

It is really hard to tell from that pic. The rail height doesn't look too bad so maybe it is around 50%. If so should last for 1500 or so hours maybe more if you're not driving long distances and mostly loading a truck or trailer.

Dnewell

I asked for some close ups, we’ll see how that goes, talking with people over something for sale…well we all know how that goes sometimes. I don’t imagine I’ll be putting over 200-250 hours a year on this thing to be honest, I have plenty of work for it, but it’ll be fit in here and there between everything else. With that little of work, would a 50% undercarriage be that big of a deal? I’d really like to keep the machine for the long run for both the water districts and the farm.

Welder Dave

If it's 50% is pretty good. Normally an undercarriage on a small machine lasts for about 3500-4000 hours depending on the material it's working in and how much driving is involved. Certain things like driving high speed in reverse or running the tracks too tight can accelerate wear. Too tight of tracks can cause other problems too.

Dnewell

Hopefully I’ll get something back from this guy soon! I really do appreciate all the advice, as I said originally I’ve never ran one so I’m green as they come on these track loaders!

Welder Dave

Sprocket segments are definitely pointed but rail height looks pretty good. Carrier rollers look OK but the tracks are way too tight. Roller flanges aren't hitting the pin bosses so that's good. Can't tell the exact shape of the bottom rollers or bushings on the rails. If the bushings are still decent, you could put new sprocket segments on. Having segments makes it a simple job. Idlers look good. Replacing one piece sprockets is a much bigger and more complicated job. The track frames look good, the covers and steps aren't all bent up.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Need a photo of the pins under the top track.i
Agreed. Taken from underneath the two track chain rails looking up, where the arrow is pointing. A photo showing the exterior condition of the bush in between the two rails.

1708459544913.png

As a side note, IMO those tracks are way too tight.
And I think I was right about the sprocket teeth, although being honest I have seen worse.

Dnewell

I’ve asked for the picture of under the top track and haven’t received it yet. He says this machine only has 2700 hours on it, says he bought it from the original owner to do a little clearing and build his pad and now he’s done with it. what are your guys opinions on it now that you’ve seen a few more pics? Money pit or have a fair amount of life left after replacing sprocket segments and loosening the tracks up some? Again I just want you all to know how much I appreciate you taking the time to help a total stranger

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I find it difficult to believe that a tractor that is likely to be 25 to 30 years old has only done 2700 hrs.
These tractors have electric hour meters, and they can't be trusted for accuracy, unlike the old engine-driven service meters on the old Cats, which are generally more trustworthy.

But the tractor is in good condition - it's just that the sprocket wear is substantially higher than the rail and roller wear, so either the tractor has been working in highly abrasive soils, or the excessively tight tracks have accelerated the sprocket wear, as Dave says.

oarwhat

The pictures you're waiting for will tell you if it's just sprockets or more work needed. I had a dozer that had new sprockets with worn pins and bushings. It didn't go well. The sprocket didn't mesh with the chain correctly. So it popped and jumped teeth.

BC Placer gold

I agree with you, I’m skeptical about the hours as well. He seems to be a believable guy, but then again you never know.
Ever notice how most old dozers have between 3500-4500 hours!

Our Euclid C6 only has ‘4200‘h on the clock! It’s a 1964 model (that was advertised as a 1974).…but near new Berco track group and really nice working condition overall.

Looks like a nice machine you are looking at; like Dave says the tin work isn’t all banged up…a good sign of care imho.