• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 933 realistic capabilities

Dnewell

I apologize if this has been talked about before, but I can’t get the search function to work.
There’s a good shape cat 933 with a 4n1 bucket not far from me for sale, I’m wondering how capable they are, I’d be using it to clear smaller trees in right of ways that are over grown, not talking 50 year old oaks or anything like that, but stuff too big for skid steer brush mowers and saws, plus don’t want to leave the stumps. I’m looking at this size of a machine since I already have the truck and trailer capable of moving it, plus seems like it’d be a little more agile in the 30’ easements. I believe it’d be very handy on our farm as well clearing field edges and shaping ditches and stuff that has gone neglected throughout the years. I know everyone always says go bigger than you think you need machine wise, so I’m just seeing if there is any real world experience. Just a disclaimer, I’ve never actually ran a track loader before so looking for advice. Thanks everyone!

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That little tractor will be the handiest thing you'll ever buy - they're extremely popular used, so that says plenty about their general usefulness. The 4 in 1 bucket is a big bonus.

It's a 16,000lb machine, so it has it's limitations when it comes to big stuff. If you don't expect it, or try to make it perform like a 30,000lb machine, it will do a very large percentage of the work you need to do.
Their size makes them easily transportable, so that again is a big bonus.

Welder Dave

Very similar to a 931B/C, almost identical. Maybe just a little lighter. Good machine but need to loosen the tracks a little. Not a clear enough pic. to see the shape of the sprocket or undercarriage. Undercarriage is the 1st thing to inspect because if it needs replacing could be over $10K.

Voodooburner

I have a similar situation, farm use, etc. I got a Komatsu d41 which is 24,000lbs, for clearing I wish it was bigger But it does OK, it will dig a livestock grave in minutes though.

Dnewell

yeah I’m not going to be in a hurry when I’m clearing or anything like that, I am just worried that I’d be severely disappointed, but on the other hand they look to be capable of what I’m asking it to do, just haven’t been around it much to have any real life experience with it. It’s just a little out of my wheelhouse, but not being my full time gig, I feel one I can move myself and mess with when I get a chance seems like the best route for me at this time.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Don't have any experience with 933's but I would suggest if you buy that machine to get some bolt on segments between the teeth on the bucket. Cheaper than wearing out the main cutting edge.

Welder Dave

It does appear to have a lot of holes in the cutting edge. Not sure if edge protectors are available for a 1yd bucket.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
It does appear to have a lot of holes in the cutting edge. Not sure if edge protectors are available for a 1yd bucket.

933 cutting edge.jpg

OP looks like you would be somewhere around $1300 to add cutting edge segments. Probably find them cheaper aftermarket if you had one OEM to measure size and bolt pattern.

Welder Dave

That's a little pricey. I don't think it's worth it on a small loader unless you're putting 2000 or more hours a year on it working in heavy clay and/or abrasive material. An hour or 2 of hardfacing would do wonders.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I have to agree with Welder Dave. Not worth installing wear segments on a machine this size and HP level.

If he was running something 3 times the size and HP in abrasive rock, yes, for sure, fit segments.

But for a 933, some hardfacing between the teeth will do just fine for average work conditions.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Cheap insurance IMO. I've worn out too many skid steer buckets between the shanks over the years that we built a tooth bucket with replaceable cutting edge and solved the problem.

One time expense if the machine is not being used that much. My math was over this morning it comes in around $840 with tax which isn't much when you're dealing with yellow scrap iron. If hired done I bet a welder would be at least 1/2 - 3/4 of that.

With a little searching aftermarket is probably 1/2 that.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
We take a Cat smooth lip bucket with BOCE and trim backhoe shanks to the profile and weld the shanks on. The BOCE keeps the wear off the bucket and is reversible.

Got a pic somewhere on the hard drive.

BC Placer gold

We take a Cat smooth lip bucket with BOCE and trim backhoe shanks to the profile and weld the shanks on. The BOCE keeps the wear off the bucket and is reversible.

Got a pic somewhere on the hard drive.
That sounds good. The way I did it is more a quick ‘shortcut’ as in heavy use not easily replaceable. Surprising how quickly the scalloping occured once bucket edge thinned….

Welder Dave

Cat track loader buckets are a lot more stout than skid steer buckets. Skid steers are also much higher production machines than powershift track loaders in the sense that cycle times are way faster. There is no comparison between a 1yd. skid steer bucket and 1yd. track loader bucket. Thicker better quality and higher hardness steel on the track loader bucket. I think the 4 in 1 bucket on my 931B is likely the same or very similar and it weighs about 1300lbs. and can lift about 3500-4000lbs. There is no skid steer bucket that is anywhere near as heavy duty. Hardfacing on such a bucket would likely outlast the machine. If was a bigger machine rather than a utility machine like a 933, then the protectors between the teeth would be a good investment. My 931B has about 5600 hours and there's not enough wear between the teeth to worry about. The teeth have been worn out at least once. Another thing that, I'm not sure would make a difference, is the between the teeth protectors add thickness to the cutting edge that might make digging more difficult. Larger loaders have much longer teeth to loosen up hard packed material. I might hardface my bucket. I need to pick up some hardfacing rods and do a bunch on the backhoe bucket and skid steer bucket. I don't put many hours on my machines these days but the hoe bucket needs some TLC. It didn't even come with wear strips on the back.

BC Placer gold

Cat track loader buckets are a lot more stout than skid steer buckets. Skid steers are also much higher production machines than powershift track loaders in the sense that cycle times are way faster. There is no comparison between a 1yd. skid steer bucket and 1yd. track loader bucket. Thicker better quality and higher hardness steel on the track loader bucket. I think the 4 in 1 bucket on my 931B is likely the same or very similar and it weighs about 1300lbs. and can lift about 3500-4000lbs. There is no skid steer bucket that is anywhere near as heavy duty. Hardfacing on such a bucket would likely outlast the machine. If was a bigger machine rather than a utility machine like a 933, then the protectors between the teeth would be a good investment. My 931B has about 5600 hours and there's not enough wear between the teeth to worry about. The teeth have been worn out at least once. Another thing that, I'm not sure would make a difference, is the between the teeth protectors add thickness to the cutting edge that might make digging more difficult. Larger loaders have much longer teeth to loosen up hard packed material. I might hardface my bucket. I need to pick up some hardfacing rods and do a bunch on the backhoe bucket and skid steer bucket. I don't put many hours on my machines these days but the hoe bucket needs some TLC. It didn't even come with wear strips on the back.
Skid steer bucket is definitely pretty light duty compared to a track loader bucket. I do think the digging ability may be slightly compromised by effectively ‘shortening’ the tooth length.

The half arrow segments come to a fair point (when new) and do give the bucket edge good bottom protection.

Welder Dave

The teeth adapters go under the cutting edge too which limits wear on the cutting edge. I think you could spend 2 hours hardfacing and you'd never have to worry about it. Would cost maybe $400 with the hardfacing if you had to hire a welder.