• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 928G loader S/N WLG01184 randomly joystick locks

richardjohn

we have a cat 928G loader S/N WLG 01184 approx 14000hrs that randomly locks the joystick in the up position doesnt make any difference if bucket is empty or loaded only way to unlock it is turn the machine off any ideas please it might do it 3-4 times ain a day then its good for a week or more thanks for any help

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When this happens are there any warning lights lit or an audible alarm sounding.?

Put the instrument panel into Service Mode and take a look at any Diagnostic Codes registered recently. To do this, start with the key in the OFF position. Cycle the key ON and back OFF again. Do this three times within 10 seconds and on the third cycle leave the key ON. The Codes will display as per the illustration below in the LH & RH windows. Each Code will display for a few seconds then scroll to the next Code. The end of the list is identiified by "-----" on the display.

A single Code consists of the digits displayed in BOTH windows. So in the illustration the Code is 081-291-04. Pay particular attention to any Code with a letter "A" in front of it, because that means it is Active.

Make a list of all the Codes, noting if there are any Active ones, and post back.

1712242702138.png
Pu

richardjohn

Nige i havent been to the machine yet mite be a week or so before i can get to it ,when it was doing its funky stuff there wasnt any warning lights or audible alarms it would just decide to lock into the up position hopefully it will be something simple if a code shows up thanks again for your information

Nige

when it was doing its funky stuff there wasnt any warning lights or audible alarms
It was just an idea but thanks for answering.

Question: When you say "randomly locks the joystick in the up position" do you mean the handle physically won't move when this happens.? ...... or do you mean the handle moves fine but even if you return it to the neutral position the bucket raise function doesn't stop until the cylinders hit the stops.?

richardjohn

the handle physically won't move until you turn the machine off it mite do it 3-4 times a day then its back to normal for a week or more, it might be possessed:eek::)

Nige

the handle physically won't move until you turn the machine off it mite do it 3-4 times a day then its back to normal for a week or more, it might be possessed:eek::)
OK, that puts a different spin on it. The problem is not likely to be electrical in that case, more likely associated with either the implement control lockout mechanism, the raise detent solenoid, or the control itself.

Is there a dedicated operator on the machine, or multiple ones.? If the latter, does the problem generally happen when one specific operator is running it.?

Can you post a photo of what the lift/tilt controls look like on your machine. Does the control lever for the lift feel "sloppy".

Also, have you set the lift kickout recently.? I'm wondering if the control lever is being held in the "raise" position by the detent solenoid. If not, try doing that as a first step. See the attached procedure.

Attachments

• Lift Kickout Adj.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 2

richardjohn

only one operator, the control lever isnt sloppy it has a good feel to it, the lift kickout hasnt been touched that i no of that doesnt mean it hasnt been tampered with if you no what i meen ,will get a photo for you as soon as i can get to the machine waiting for the road to dry out hopefully in a week or so will try the procedure that you sent and let you no what i have or havent found thanks again for help

Nige

Before you go into the kickout adjustment, a few more questions.

When the lift lever locks in position do the rest of the implements (tilt, 3rd function) all still work normally before you reset the lift lever by turning off the key.?

According to what I can see your machine has 3-function hydraulics (lift, tilt, +1 other) with a joystick as shown in the illustration below. Can you confirm that. If that is what you have then we need to focus on the 8-pin electrical connector that is circled.

1712415704074.png

richardjohn

Morning Nige ,when it locks in it locks solid you cant move it until its turned off ,it has the 2 function control, lift, tilt, F-R ,sorry not giving you much to work with :( joystick 928 G loader.png

Nige

Morning Nige ,when it locks in it locks solid you cant move it until its turned off ,it has the 2 function control, lift, tilt, F-R ,sorry not giving you much to work with :(
OK. I can only go on what the system tells me for that S/N - provided you got it right..........

In that case I need a photo of the control lever setup. TBH I'm still thinking it's something related to the controls themselves, more specifically the detent solenoids that lie beneath them.

Nige

Let's attack this a different way. Below are two images. Does your loader lift/tilt control look like the first image, which according to the machine specifications is standard, or the second one with separate levers for lift & tilt.?

1712447154099.png1712447820174.png

richardjohn

Gday Nige sorry for the delay ,got to the machine yesterday it has the 3 function hydraulic set up and
that is the correct S/N for the machine,will check out the eight pin plug that you have shown me when its get back to the shed hopefully on sunday weather pending that is anyway thankyou for you time and information will get back to you as soon as i can