• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 375 on a dredger

chris-law

thought you may like to see a few pics of what im driving at the moment

dredgingatcalorgascanveyisland002.jpg

dredgingatcalorgascanveyisland005.jpg

dredgingatcalorgascanveyisland015.jpg

dredgingatcalorgascanveyisland016.jpg

dredgingatcalorgascanveyisland017.jpg

dredgingatcalorgascanveyisland034.jpg

dredgingatcalorgascanveyisland038.jpg

dredgingatcalorgascanveyisland038.jpg

and yes i am digging over the track motors , i had no option but to load it on the dredger like that

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
nice pics Chris, where abouts are you working with the 375 at the miniute?

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
Are you using a GPS dredging program to keep you on spot?
I don't see any grade marks on your dipper stick.How deep are you diging?
We tear up the spud pockets pretty bad when we dig with a hoe. Do you have down pressure on your spuds? They look like they could be walking spuds. Are they?

chris-law

Are you using a GPS dredging program to keep you on spot?
I don't see any grade marks on your dipper stick.How deep are you diging?
We tear up the spud pockets pretty bad when we dig with a hoe. Do you have down pressure on your spuds? They look like they could be walking spuds. Are they?

the boat has gps onboard and i have a prolec digmaster 3 in the cab . im not sure what you mean by walking spuds , they are lifted by winches and then dropped from a height when in position . the barge is moved by winches connected to anchors and the excavator . we are digging 13 to 16 m depth and the barge is quite stable.. its not a nice feeling though when all you can see in front of you is water , I got a big chain wrapped around the bucket when the tide was coming in and my ass cheeks were nipping c bit I can tell you.my next job is on c lack up barge breaking concrete at 19 M deep , any tips ?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
. im not sure what you mean by walking spuds , ?

For want of layman's terms; "spuds" are big poles running vertically to secure and locate the dredge/barge. A "big steel pole" will be an apt description. In your case they are just behind the excavator port and stbd.

Last edited:

chris-law

For want of layman's terms; "spuds" are big poles running vertically to secure and locate the dredge/barge. A "big steel pole" will be an apt description. In your case they are just behind the excavator port and stbd.

i know what spud legs are , it was the walking bit im unsure of.
basically when im ready to move i track back as far as i can and put the bucket on the sea bed , they then lift the spud legs up and i track forewards which in turn moves the barge backwards, they then drop the legs and take the tension on the winches at the rear of the barge

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Awesome pics, I'm sure its a fun job for the first few hours then gets to be really repetitive. I know thats how it is with alot of earth moving, more so on large quannity earth moves. Still fun though. Thanks for sharing.

Trbo

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Great pics Chris, good to see you are mounted up again, if you've got all that river to clean out you will be busy for a while :D

chris-law

Great pics Chris, good to see you are mounted up again, if you've got all that river to clean out you will be busy for a while :D
finished yesterday , they managed to bend a spudleg on thursday night . may be off to southampton next week for a month .... ill be breaking concrete 19m under water.
you keeping busy mate

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
finished yesterday , they managed to bend a spudleg on thursday night . may be off to southampton next week for a month .... ill be breaking concrete 19m under water.
you keeping busy mate

Ouch! bet that isnt cheap to repair.

Breaking blind is hard enough, under water at that depth must be a nightmare, hope it isnt small pieces :eek:

Back on the M25 on Monday for a week or two, pretty quiet otherwise.
Theres a lot coming up, so just hanging on :)

chris-law

Ouch! bet that isnt cheap to repair.

Breaking blind is hard enough, under water at that depth must be a nightmare, hope it isnt small pieces :eek:

Back on the M25 on Monday for a week or two, pretty quiet otherwise.
Theres a lot coming up, so just hanging on :)

never used a breaker underwater:beatsme , saw fred gooch before xmas at felixstowe , he has some work on the a12 ans seems to be busy, he has built up his fleet again with mostly new hitatchi machines

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
It isn't to bad if what your breaking is large and you can poke around and get a good feel for what your doing. I never did anything that deep though.

chris-law

i have been busy on the new job , currently 80 + hours a week , we are breaking concrete on the dock floor at 15 to 19 m .
broke a few buckets and a chisel but we now have a good bucket made of hardox

chris-law

few pics

Attachments

• DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 512
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 510

chris-law

few more , they tried making a ripper tooth but it only lasted an hor before the shank snapped off

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC00044.jpg
    DSC00044.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC00050.jpg
    DSC00050.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 513

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Great pics Chris, really glad you are busy. Intresting in a strange sort of way also ;)

Your right about Fred and the A12, and his additions to the fleet, another lowloader, and a D6T on order I'm led to believe.

I was too expensive for the A12 but at least it kept Rob Drawbridge busy. :drinkup

JDOFMEMI

Chris

That looks like an interesting project.

I was wondering if you are tied on to the barge? I don't see any lines to the machine. I would be worried about sliding into the drink if I was not tied off. Especially while digging up rocks as big as you just showed us.