• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 304 Pins and Bushing Purchase

MTNXTREME800

So I had another thread about pins and bushing damage. Turns out I got lucky and I can just replace the pins and bushings. I would like to do all 4 lower pins and bushings while I have it apart, but the price of these things is astronomical. Does anyone have any other outlets to get them than Cat ? There is an Ebay guy too in NY but still crazy money. I could have some made but since they are worn how would we know what size to make, unless the parts book calls out sizes, was thinking of getting one. I know Mitsubishi makes these mini's but can't find a comparable Mitsubishi model and probably were never sold in the states.

melli

So I had another thread about pins and bushing damage. Turns out I got lucky and I can just replace the pins and bushings. I would like to do all 4 lower pins and bushings while I have it apart, but the price of these things is astronomical. Does anyone have any other outlets to get them than Cat ? There is an Ebay guy too in NY but still crazy money. I could have some made but since they are worn how would we know what size to make, unless the parts book calls out sizes, was thinking of getting one. I know Mitsubishi makes these mini's but can't find a comparable Mitsubishi model and probably were never sold in the states.
Not sure you are 'lucky'...I changed the bushings and pins on the front of mine, and it was a bear to do. Even doing the MIG trick to loosen bushings. And yeah, expensive...$1500 all in for me.
And to think, the front is the easiest...further back, it gets more interesting.

MTNXTREME800

Not sure you are 'lucky'...I changed the bushings and pins on the front of mine, and it was a bear to do. Even doing the MIG trick to loosen bushings. And yeah, expensive...$1500 all in for me.
And to think, the front is the easiest...further back, it gets more interesting.

Wow, I don't feel too bad, I'm in for a grand !

MTNXTREME800

Which is about $1500 CDN...lol
Have you swapped the bushings and pins yet? How old is your machine.
It's an 03. Looks like the prices up north are pretty comparable. Not yet, waiting on a few of the parts to come in. I figure on cutting a notch across the old bushing with a torch, then popping them out. I've done this i the past and it works good. In the past I've put bushings in the freezer, but been reading on using dry ice mixed with acetone, or liquid nitrogen but wouldn't know where to get either !!

melli

Freezer worked well for me. Why change things...
I've never heard of the torch method, other than to heat them up (hot spot), but to 'notch' them sounds dangerous.
MIG route worked like a charm for me.
2012-09-12 19.36.04 (Large).jpg
Just a tiny bead in three places...it also gave a raised edge so that I could use old pins as ramming pins.

Delmer

Torch is easy if you're comfortable with it, the joint doesn't conduct heat and stops the cutting action just enough that you can blow the bushing out easily, just like blowing a bolt and leaving the threads it was in.

If you have a CO2 cylinder then you can make dry ice (looks like snow, but it works fine with a solvent for heat exchange purposes, liquid propane works :D). Hook a hose to the cylinder, no regulator, hold it upside down, and shoot into a container, then dump it into your liquid propane (prepared in a similar manner).

MTNXTREME800

Torch is easy if you're comfortable with it, the joint doesn't conduct heat and stops the cutting action just enough that you can blow the bushing out easily, just like blowing a bolt and leaving the threads it was in.

If you have a CO2 cylinder then you can make dry ice (looks like snow, but it works fine with a solvent for heat exchange purposes, liquid propane works :D). Hook a hose to the cylinder, no regulator, hold it upside down, and shoot into a container, then dump it into your liquid propane (prepared in a similar manner).
Yes thats how I usually do it heat a little red stripe across the bushing blast it with the torch and the bushing practically falls out and doesn't even leave a mark on the bushing boss. i got CO2 but would take 3 guys to hold it upside down, who would have dry ice, I remember when I was a kid, my dad used to get it from an ice cream store, it's closed now !

Delmer

I believe welding gas places usually have dry ice and liquid nitrogen. AI places sell liquid nitrogen for filling farmers semen tanks.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
When I weld bushings I don't weld across it I weld a couple or more passes around the inside ,depending on how big it is.

MTNXTREME800

So I finally got the parts, on the end of the stick, I can't see any bushings, the new pin fits, a little loose, but I don't think loose enough that there are no old bushings in there. So, maybe they are fused as Delmer mentioned and I can't see them, any tips on finding them. Also on the ew bushings if I use the freezer method, how long should they freeze before trying install and if dry ice, how long ?

Delmer

If you can't see the bushings in the end of the stick, use a welding rod to feel through the bore. Is it the same diameter all the way through? Usually there's a bushing at each end with the bore bigger in the center, maybe a mini has only one bushing though? Did you find a parts diagram for the stick end, and did it show bushings?

If you clean up the side of the stick bore area with brake cleaner and still can't see a bushing, then try a scratch awl, or anything sharp and hard, it should scratch the steel of the stick, but a bushing will be harder and scratch much shallower if at all. Definitely don't try the welding or cutting torch tricks until you're sure there's a bushing to remove, I've found myself in similar situations:D

Half an hour is probably long enough for dry ice, quicker if you put the ice in a solvent for heat transfer, no reason not to leave them in the freezer overnight.