• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 304 Pins and Bushing Purchase

Iron@Dirt

bought a 2012 304E 10 months ago and put bushings in the end of the stick. when the side of the bucket rubs against the stick it makes the separating line almost disapear. what year is yours?

MTNXTREME800

I think it's there, but thin and polished. Yes it has 2 one each end. It's all cleaned up, so I'll try the awl trick. Yes I definitely don't wanna try the torch or weld trick, yet !

melli

what material are these bushings made of? Can a machinist make these bushings with 4130?
No idea what the bushings are made of...definitely a alloy that can withstand some punishment. I heard of folks getting machinists to make pins (way easier to make), but bushings are another animal.
As I noted on previous page, a light MIG weld in three spots was a game changer for me. The one thing I didn't mention, is the raised weld allowed me to use old pin as a punch, and pop the bushings out. Of course, making sure you have bushings first is helpful...

MTNXTREME800

So I used dry ice, worked real slick, I never would have gotten them in without, they were pretty tight. I used the three weld trick, worked good, also used the torch trick cutting a little line along the bushing, that worked better popped right out with a punch.

MTNXTREME800

Does anyone know how tight the bucket ears are supposed to be to the stick. I got about 3/8" inch space between them, if I slide the bucket tight to one side. The Cat parts guy told me there are no shims for the bucket. The only shims available are for the bigger pins.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Does anyone know how tight the bucket ears are supposed to be to the stick. I got about 3/8" inch space between them, if I slide the bucket tight to one side. The Cat parts guy told me there are no shims for the bucket. The only shims available are for the bigger pins.
The specs I've seen for 300 series are around 1mm (.040) Thats what I machine them to and I get no complaints.

MTNXTREME800

The specs I've seen for 300 series are around 1mm (.040) Thats what I machine them to and I get no complaints.
You machine shims to .040 thickness ? Or machine the ears on buckets so there is .040 clearance ? Wondering what the clearance between bucket ears and stick should be, I have abt. 3/8", I think it's too much, but maybe thats what it should be for some reason ?!? If they are meant to shim, why is the Cat parts guy telling me they don't make shims for the bucket pin, also my parts book shows no shims in that location !

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
You machine shims to .040 thickness ? Or machine the ears on buckets so there is .040 clearance ? Wondering what the clearance between bucket ears and stick should be, I have abt. 3/8", I think it's too much, but maybe thats what it should be for some reason ?!? If they are meant to shim, why is the Cat parts guy telling me they don't make shims for the bucket pin, also my parts book shows no shims in that location !
I machine the bucket and stick to 1mm clearance. The proper clearance is not 3/8. You may get away with machining up a couple a 3/16 shims out of something decent but they never last as long as a proper machined fit.

Cmark

In practise the clearance needs to be as little as possible made up with shims as required. The reason you have 3/8" is probably because the boss in the end of the stick is worn, or the bucket, or a combination of both.

The parts book may not show shims, but there are probably some available in the correct size (or close enough) through the Cat parts system. It's just a matter of taking the time to look. I'll see what I can do.

Iron@Dirt

on my year ago purchase thats at the camp. i ground the end of the stick as close to square as i could and bored holes in hard flat washers so there was enough surface to rub against. its not as good as machining the stick and bucket but alot easier and should extend life till bushings wear again.