• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246 engine

jtt503

I have a Cat 246 with a 3034 Turbo. I bought with a bad engine...rod threw the block. I am finding this is an expensive reman. Any know of another engine I could get adapted to fit in this machine? The machine is an '02.

Deereman

I don't know If that has a perkins in it or a cat. Which is the same thing. I would say a deere 4024 or 4045 but thats a whole nother can of worms.You can tune them to just about any level of performance. And yes I have saw deere engines in cats and liebherrs before.

3thirteen

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I agree, the Mitsubishi made 3044C would be a great engine. I would suggest avoiding the Perkins.

jtt503

Thanks....Yes it is a Perkins. Is the 3044 a popular engine? And would you know what I would need to convert to that engine?

jtt503

Thanks for the help does anyone know of anywhere to get a used or rebuilt skidloader engine here in the U.S.?

I agree, the Mitsubishi made 3044C would be a great engine. I would suggest avoiding the Perkins.

Just curious why would you say avoid the perkins? Maybe its different with there smaller motors but we have a massey Ferguson 1100 it has a perkins in it and i love that motor. good power starts good in winter and there some of the most fuel efficient diesels. at least in tractors

Cretebaby

Just curious why would you say avoid the perkins? Maybe its different with there smaller motors but we have a massey Ferguson 1100 it has a perkins in it and i love that motor. good power starts good in winter and there some of the most fuel efficient diesels. at least in tractors

Ditto

3thirteen

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
The 3024 CT which is made by Perkins is know to have problems with their head gaskets (blown) and with the engine oil pick up tube (low/no oil pressure). Some guys have been dusting them but that is more related to the fact that the intake clamps and intake boot are not properly fitted, so that doesn't necessarily mean the engine is a bad design just poorly assembled from the factory. Not related to failure but FYI, compared to the 3044 DIT (Mitsubishi) the Perkins makes about 11 net horsepower less. Anyways, those are my thoughts and feelings regarding that particular Perkins. I have nothing against Perkins engines or Cat machines.

The 3024 CT which is made by Perkins is know to have problems with their head gaskets (blown) and with the engine oil pick up tube (low/no oil pressure). Some guys have been dusting them but that is more related to the fact that the intake clamps and intake boot are not properly fitted, so that doesn't necessarily mean the engine is a bad design just poorly assembled from the factory. Not related to failure but FYI, compared to the 3044 DIT (Mitsubishi) the Perkins makes about 11 net horsepower less. Anyways, those are my thoughts and feelings regarding that particular Perkins. I have nothing against Perkins engines or Cat machines.

Ok thanks for the information I know there are several perkins dealers in my area. but i don't think i've seen a mitsubishi dealer around thought

jtt503

I've decided to go with the 3024t,mostly due to price and availability of it. Can anyone elaborate on the oiling issue mentioned with the 3024, and is there anything I can do about it before installing the motor.
Thanks for all the input,all opinions are appreciated.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The first Cat skid I ran was a 226 (226A) with the perkapillar 3024.....that machine went past 8000 hrs before the hour meter failed..and was traded to another guy who still uses it daily. It never had a problem.

I have the C2.2.(basically a 3024) in the 226BII I have now and it seems a very good engine. I have never heard of any common failures with the 3024 and we have had a number down on the farm (Massey Fergusons).

I think you will find the 246 somewhat underpowered though...I could be wrong but I say this on the basis of having owned a 246B and a 248B both with the 3044 engine at around 80 Hp and they were brilliant. The 248B had more hydraulic grunt than was useable.

jtt503

just finished installing the new 3024t last night and gave it a test run. so far everything looks good, and sounds good, I am very impressed with how quiet it is. As far as power goes I am happy with it. I bought the machine not running so I'm not sure how the motors compare, but it seems to load the bucket and raise it with minimal effort. I like the joystick controls just not used to them yet, I always ran a case at work. I think it will serve me well.

jeeperguytj

The 3024 isn't a bad engine if it's been updated. The headgaskets have been updated which were blowing it the same place on all of them. The oil pickup tube was getting sucked up into the block and blocking off the oil going to the pump, the update was basically a washer brazed to it so it couldn't get sucked the oil passage to the pump. Good luck to you.

jtt503

would my 3024 be an updated version since i purchased it new, is this something the factory did. if so when did they begin doing this. is it possible mine could be old stock that wasnt updated. thanks for the info.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
would my 3024 be an updated version since i purchased it new, is this something the factory did. if so when did they begin doing this. is it possible mine could be old stock that wasnt updated. thanks for the info.

It depends if it was from older stock. Was your engine specifically from/for a Cat skid steer?.

The update (for skid steers) included an increased size in the sump pan. If you can get a hold of a parts manual you should be able to check but otherwise ask a switched on spare parts guy at your Cat dealer.

trackhead101

just finished installing the new 3024t last night and gave it a test run. so far everything looks good, and sounds good, I am very impressed with how quiet it is. As far as power goes I am happy with it. I bought the machine not running so I'm not sure how the motors compare, but it seems to load the bucket and raise it with minimal effort. I like the joystick controls just not used to them yet, I always ran a case at work. I think it will serve me well.

I'm glad to hear you were able to get your problem resolved, can I ask what you had to pay for the new engine and was it reman, new or used?

trackhead101

The 3024 isn't a bad engine if it's been updated. The headgaskets have been updated which were blowing it the same place on all of them. The oil pickup tube was getting sucked up into the block and blocking off the oil going to the pump, the update was basically a washer brazed to it so it couldn't get sucked the oil passage to the pump. Good luck to you.

I wanted to agree with this. There was a problem and it has been updated on later model machines. There seemed to be the most problems with 05-06 year models small frame machines. Anyone who is having this issue with a Cat unit they purchased direct from their dealer new, should have gotten a letter asking it to be brought in for update on the "B" series machines. The 246 "A" had the older series Perkins engine, I'd be interested to know how many hours your engine had when it failed. The "A" series machines have been bulletproof in my opinion. There were some problems on many of CAT's early "B" series machines (Track and Tire units) that were related to their business growing much faster than they anticipated and the engineering had not had a chance to catch up with demand. In my opinion they rushed the "B" series to market in the construction boom earlier this decade. I had been on a factory tour of their plant in NC after the introduction of their "B2" and "C" series and I can tell you that they have put an emphasis on "quality" more so than ever. I have close friends who work for a local dealer that has been astonished at the reduction in warranty repairs and overall improvements in the "B2" and "C" series machines. The new "B2" machines were all engineered with the updates mentioned above. If you own a used unit second hand or more you might want to call your dealer and ask them if your serial number was due for an update. Some of the update timeframes have expired but if you have a relationship with the dealership, I'd think they would want to try and help.