• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246 engine

jtt503

Nice info there, I paid $4300 for the engine and it was new not a reman. The machine had 1736 hours on it when it failed, thats about all I know. Like I said before I bought it that way so I really dont have any other info

dirter

Nice info there, I paid $4300 for the engine and it was new not a reman. The machine had 1736 hours on it when it failed, thats about all I know. Like I said before I bought it that way so I really dont have any other info

I am in need of one of these engines for an ASV RC-60. Where did you get it?

jtt503

If you are in need of the 3024T I bought mine from a guy in Minnesota. Tim at JT Services 651-429-9012. He was very friendly and informative. Hope this helps.

dirter

Amazing. I just got off the phone with them. I found them on the web about 15 minutes ago. They have several of these. The price is a little higher now, $4550. Still the best I've found by far.
Thanks for the info. I assume you've had no problems with yours so far, right?

jtt503

I did not have any trouble with it while I had it. I sold the machine last fall after putting about 100 hrs on it. I would have liked to keep it but I got my yard in and needed the money. It was a very quiet and smooth running engine I was very pleased with it.

jtt503

Do you mean the skidloader or the engine? I sold the skidloader about two years ago but I still have some parts from the 3034T engine that was orignally in the skidloader. If you are interested in engine parts let me know I am willing to sell them.
Thanks

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
What are you looking for we have rebuilt a few of ours through the years I may have something laying around. We also had one throw a rod if I remember right it was due oil pump failure

Pj

Thunder chicken

Hey guys. I'm new here. I just bought a cat 246. It's got the cat 3034 engine. The vin is 5sz00377. It's an older machine, I'm guessing 2000 model give or take. Anyone know how I can pinpoint the year model? It seems to run good, but I wanna service it before I run it much. Atleast an oil&filter change, air filter change. Anything else y'all would recommend servicing before putting her to work? Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Hey guys. I'm new here. I just bought a cat 246. It's got the cat 3034 engine. The vin is 5sz00377. It's an older machine, I'm guessing 2000 model give or take. Anyone know how I can pinpoint the year model? It seems to run good, but I wanna service it before I run it much. Atleast an oil&filter change, air filter change. Anything else y'all would recommend servicing before putting her to work? Thanks
That's a very early 246. It dates from mid-1999.

The best investment you can make if you don't have one already is to buy an Operation & Maintenance Manual. These guys will do you a genuine Cat manual for $35 on CD or $45 on paper. For an additional $70 you can get a Parts Manual on CD. https://servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=5SZ00377

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'd recommend you try to determine whether the engine was manufactured in China or not. If it was, you might consider replacing the oil pump housing. They are prone to breaking resulting in an instant loss of oil pressure accompanied by rod #4 attempting to exit the crankcase. If that happens parts alone will cost around $10,000, plus $2500 to $3000 to have the engine swapped. I once found a website that explained how to decode the engine serial number but no longer have the address.

Thunder chicken

Man that sounds scary steve. I will look in to it. Do you think that's prone to happen after a certain amount of hours? Mine has 2500.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Mine let go at between 1200 and 1300 hours. I don't know if that's typical or if it happens randomly. I posted a full thread on it and I've seen several other threads here about it too. In 2010 when mine blew a rebuilt engine was over $9000. I can't imagine they've come down in price.