• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225 LC rear main seal replacement project

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Dapperdan, It's like the welder at the shop told me once about trying to get a broken bolt out of a crusher bowl. All you have to do is be smarter than the bolt and a little more stubborn! I think you passed on both those criteria!

I think I would polish that disk up on all surfaces and maybe just lay a good straight edge on in various places to see if there is any sign or warping then with a bit of never-seize around the bore in the flywheel bolt it back in place and call it good.

Oh! Don't forget to replace the rear seal! That was why you went to all this work in the first place.

Dapperdan16

If you want to get technical with it take it to a machine shop and have them spin it in a lathe and take the high spots off. If you want to "bush mechanic" it then a scientifically-applied 7" grinder should do the trick.
Oh, and polish the f**k out of where it fits on to the flywheel so it goes back on easier than it came off .......!!
Hello Nige, a grinder is exactly what I was thinking, it's only really going to be used on my own land, so I don't have to get crazy with it "it won't be working on any major job sites"

Dapperdan16

Dapperdan, It's like the welder at the shop told me once about trying to get a broken bolt out of a crusher bowl. All you have to do is be smarter than the bolt and a little more stubborn! I think you passed on both those criteria!

I think I would polish that disk up on all surfaces and maybe just lay a good straight edge on in various places to see if there is any sign or warping then with a bit of never-seize around the bore in the flywheel bolt it back in place and call it good.

Oh! Don't forget to replace the rear seal! That was why you went to all this work in the first place.

Thanks Kshansen, I definitely was more stubborn then the plate and it paid off. I'm going to do what everyone is suggesting and just clean it up and polish it, thankfully I am blessed with patience, I just rebuilt the engine on Dad's quad one of the head bolts broke off into the engine case, it took 12hrs to remove the old bolt clean it up and re tap it. Lol, wouldn't that be something if I forgot to install the seal.

etd66ss

I'm not sure what takes up the thrust on the crank in that engine, but could the crank have been bent with all that hammering?

Dapperdan16

I'm not sure what takes up the thrust on the crank in that engine, but could the crank have been bent with all that hammering?
I highly doubt it, the adapter plate is against the flywheel which is pretty thick, but I'll let the experts answer this one.
Danny