• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225 LC rear main seal replacement project

Dapperdan16

Finally had some time this weekend to begin the rear main seal replacement on the Cat 225 LC with 3304 engine, question for Cat guys, does the coupler look to be in decent shape, is there a way to check for play or anything besides visually inspecting the rubber inserts? also does the whole coupler come off as one piece when I remove the allan head bolts? some pics below

20160508_134046.jpg20160508_134051.jpg20160508_124247.jpg20160419_172437.jpg

boone

Hey Danny, looks like you're making progress on the old girl. Is that an old Jubilee in the background?

Dapperdan16

Hey Danny, looks like you're making progress on the old girl. Is that an old Jubilee in the background?

I'm getting there, it's actually been enjoyable believe it or not, that is a Jubilee in the one picture, it's my fathers, he has 2 of them

Cmark

There's no real mystery about the coupling. If the rubbers looks soft or cracked then replace it. There is a classic part available for around $100.

It's fastened on by the two 12-point bolts through the rubbers. The ring of cap head bolts fasten the adapter plate to the flywheel.

Last edited:

etd66ss

Hmm, I thought all 225's with the 3304 had a 2 pump setup? That looks to have the same pump setup as my 51U2607.

Dapperdan16

There's no real mystery about the coupling. If the rubbers looks soft or cracked then replace it. There is a classic part available for around $100.

It's fastened on by the two 12-point bolts through the rubbers. The ring of cap head bolts fasten the adapter plate to the flywheel.

Thanks for the info Cmark, I'm definitely going to take the advice from you and Nige and order the classic part, the book is not to clear or "i'm not to bright" the book makes it sound like the coupler is attached to the adapter plate???? should I just remove the coupler by removing the two 12-point bolts you mentioned or remove the cap head bolts that holds the adapter plate on and they will come off together? Thank You.
Danny

Cmark

Well, if you're replacing the coupling you will have to remove it from the adapter plate at some point and it will be easier to loosen the two bolts whilst the adapter plate is still fastened to the flywheel. You will then need to remove the adapter plate for access to the flywheel bolts.

Dapperdan16

Well, if you're replacing the coupling you will have to remove it from the adapter plate at some point and it will be easier to loosen the two bolts whilst the adapter plate is still fastened to the flywheel. You will then need to remove the adapter plate for access to the flywheel bolts.

ok now I understand, thanks

Dapperdan16

Isn't that a pump in the center?

Anyways, thx for the pics!

yes, thats the gear type pump, so I guess it has three pumps technically. I believe the gear pump is just to send oil to the pilot system, the two axial piston pumps control everything else, boom,bucket,stick,track motors,swing motor etc What does your machine have?

Delmer

Aren't "classic" parts a cheaper version? I'd check if the "premium" version is available and the price. I don't like to trust cheap grades of rubber to last in a hot oily area.

Cmark

Aren't "classic" parts a cheaper version? I'd check if the "premium" version is available and the price. I don't like to trust cheap grades of rubber to last in a hot oily area.

Three hundred and odd dollars where I am. As always with this kind of decision, you have to balance the cost against how much work the machine is going to do against the consequences of a failure. In this particular case, I personally would go for the classic part.

Delmer

I can't argue with that. And I suppose it's not a part that's likely to fail suddenly either.

Cmark

Exactly. And if the rubbers do fail it will still drive off the bolts. You would just notice a rattling noise when the engine stops and maybe some vibration.

etd66ss

yes, thats the gear type pump, so I guess it has three pumps technically. I believe the gear pump is just to send oil to the pilot system, the two axial piston pumps control everything else, boom,bucket,stick,track motors,swing motor etc What does your machine have?

Mine has 3 pumps: http://www.acmoc.org/bb/attachment.php?attachmentid=58069&d=1456023466 http://i.imgur.com/55Gfpwb.jpg

Not the greatest pictures, but you can see my center pump in the second picture.