• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cabover Tractors?

Greg

:usaOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just tried your buddy's advise. (just kidding not really) My Macks are not so bad that way for noise. Had a GMC 9500 series a long time ago with a 6-71 Detroit and 13 speed in it. Drove it like I hated it and it ran fine. What kind of toy is on the trailer there?

Dirtmaster

cabover Freightliner

Yo!
It's a self propelled howitzer, 105mm. Well, it used to be. It's neutered, now. Fun to putt around the neighborhood in.

LIBER777

In-situ service.va!!!

not always, but you tend to see them more often in the cities, like nyc. Probably a little easier to see and maneuver one in downtown traffic.

i work hard all the time---but i wouldn't want-to rebuild a cabover engine unless it had a wet-liner cylinder sleeve motor installed; because of the cab removal requirement for engine pull

MOUNTAIN MAN

The original reason for cabovers was restrictive "total length" laws. By using a cabover, additional length was available for the trailer, and thus cargo. I think these laws have been eased, and with doubles and triples legal in many states, the need no longer exists.

Will is right about driver comfort too! In a cabover, you sit directly over the front axle and feel every bump in total force! By sitting between the axles in a conventional tractor, the bumps are smoothed out a bit by the wheelbase.

It's funny, I saw a fairly new Freightliner cabover yesterday and was thinking about how long it had been since I'd seen one!

It was weird, in one 600km trip I had seen 3 C.O.E's but on other trips that length I've seen none, I guess it's luck of the draw. But I see the odd C.O.E in the oil patch bobtailing with a pipe system on it. They aren't that common any more.

MitchSA

Not many long nose trucks here in SA due to the length laws. With a long nose you can only pull a tri-axle trailer but cab over engine can pull a link. Its all about money and time!!

MOUNTAIN MAN

In the past month I have seen probably 10 cabovers, more than I have seen for over a year! I think they are coming back! Saw a nice Freight shaker today, great looking truck it was. :notworthy :canada

Dualie

with the economy the way it is, alot of guys are dragging the old paid for iron outta the fields putting good rubber under it and going trucking.

bd2001

I was always a fan of cabovers. I liked them because they gave daycab like functionality in the city with short wheelbases and you could jump in the back for a quick nap if you were waiting for an offloading. It's always great to rest your eyelids even if it's for only 20 minutes. The ones that I always drove were pieces of crap with no air ride suspension or anything like that but for many other reasons I always said that I'd buy a cabover vs a conventional truck any day. The prices for them are always less on a resale basis... Like the old walmart trucks. I found same year, less miles cabovers for 13,500 and conventionals for mid 20's. If you are just starting out as a new owner operator, it's all about bang for the buck!