• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cabover Tractors?

digger242j

Administrator
I don't really have a question about cabover tractors, except this--where have they all gone? I don't spend a whole lot of time on the interstates, but I do a good bit of driving anyway. The other day I noticed a cabover going the other direction and it occured to me that they just don't seem all that common these days. (It also caused me to wonder how they all might have disappeared without me noticing.) I probably passed 30 conventional tractors in the rest of that particular ride, bit not another COE tractor. (Most of the garbage trucks still seem to be cabovers though.)

Is it just my imagination, or didn't they used to be a lot more common?

:confused:

will_gurt

Charter Member
To me, the biggest reason you do not see as many, is the thing called Driver comfort. I am sure ole jim will chime in on this one. It can be done, but it so much more comfortable in the roomieness of the conventional cab. No dog house clinging to you is one thing. Drive one for up to 700 miles in a day and you will see what I mean.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The original reason for cabovers was restrictive "total length" laws. By using a cabover, additional length was available for the trailer, and thus cargo. I think these laws have been eased, and with doubles and triples legal in many states, the need no longer exists.

Will is right about driver comfort too! In a cabover, you sit directly over the front axle and feel every bump in total force! By sitting between the axles in a conventional tractor, the bumps are smoothed out a bit by the wheelbase.

It's funny, I saw a fairly new Freightliner cabover yesterday and was thinking about how long it had been since I'd seen one!

2004F550

Charter Member
As others said the biggest reason was driver comfort, drivers wouldn't drive the cabover if they could drive a conventional truck.

badranman

Charter Member
How about safety? Would this have been a factor for the decline? I know one guy around here who died when his cabover went head on into a dump truck.

lamarbur

Charter Member
the changing of bridge law formulas and length laws is what saw the almost demise of cab overs., My first few rigs were cab over and a 42 then 45 ft trailer. It would be another 15 years then the 48's started,. Now, most are 53 ft.. In 1974 total overall length allowed was something like 53 ft.. This is cac and trailer..

CT18fireman

Not always, but you tend to see them more often in the cities, like NYC. Probably a little easier to see and maneuver one in downtown traffic.

lamarbur

Charter Member
I ran Jimmie cab overs with 318's and 318"s with a blower they called a 350. I am near deaf today with those screaming Jimmie's. They did their purpose.. Overall lengths were shorter then, than, some of the trailers alone that are on the road today. My last tractor was a 244 wheel base IH with the 60" walk in sleeper, now that was heaven.. I had just got my first flat floor box at 48ft compared to almost 17 years of pulling a single drop deck box. ( I hauled computers and military trade shows for a van lines agent) Both were a blessing compared to what we were required to use all the previous years.. If my legs didn't go real bad then, I had planned another three in trade shows, would have brought me a few months over 20 years, then transfer over to a tri-axle. Guess it wasn't meant to be. Winters were getting harder to get through.. At the time, most all the van lines got in on computer hauling, less work available, cost were being driven down to the point is wasn't worth taking the cut rate loads, and I was lucky.. I worked the local highway dpt each winter season running their machinery and plows. At least I could keep the rig in the yard through winter.. Most either lost their rigs or went on with the cut throating and lost them in early spring anyway.. Probably another blessing in disguise was the physical loss use of legs for 3-4 years, that knocked me totally out of trucks... By this time, deregulation was wreaking havoc on most companies and feight was probably the cheapest ever known to man at that time (mid 90's).. But, like all of us here, do your thing and move on to something else...

DR RPM

Ironically it came done to economics, no drivers wanted to drive cabovers so the big boys like jb hunt and schneiders quit buying international cabovers, they discontinued production, the freightliner argosy are having trouble selling, and the Kenworth K100 is available only by special order :bash

triaxle

Cabovers {or livin in a treehouse}

You are correct, there were more cabovers around in the past.
During the 70's the Federal Highway Authority pushed all of the states into relaxing their length requirements for trucks and combinations.
Missouri and Connecticut clung to the notion that semi-trucks could be only 55' overall the longest.

Although driver comfort was a serious issue after the laws changed allowing the longer trucks, until the laws supporting longer trucks were in place, the drivers drove what was legal and the big boys bought what was legal.

I suspect a conversation with a JB Hunt Executive would reveal that they bought 100% cab over internationals at first. As the effects of the move to longer trucks began to impact the truck market, the deal they were getting on COE internationals wasn't there any more and the "deal" was now on a conventional model that the manufacturers were producing a lot of.
Although truck drivers, with just reason, hate cab overs ride, I would discount the possibility of truck drivers opinions being more than a very minor issue in the demise of COE design is the US.

They are still quite common in Europe and Asia.

After the length laws relaxed, the smoother- riding larger living spaced trucks, the conventionals, took over.

Last edited:

06bowtie_guy

Local company nicknamed the red army (manitoulin transport) runs cab overs still. New freightliners. They do the terminal to terminal runs and are known as super trucks since they haul a 52' trailer and have a container on the tractor also.

Attached is a picture of a new truck they own from the 07 notre damn du nord truck rodeo.

Attachments

• saturday-latedaynight 018 (Small).jpg
    saturday-latedaynight 018 (Small).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 10,463
  • saturday-latedaynight 019 (Small).jpg
    saturday-latedaynight 019 (Small).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 13,439
  • saturday-latedaynight 020 (Small).jpg
    saturday-latedaynight 020 (Small).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 8,401

mascas

I never liked driving cabovers.I just never felt comfortable. I'm a mechanic,so Im not the best driver in the world,but I could never get comfortable in one.

Eric

Here's the one I drive. Took some getting used to. After driving this thing for the last 2.5 years I can't wait to get another hood.
101_0908.jpg

This one's my wife's Uncle's.
101_1446.jpg

GaryKelley

Also, when or IF you are in a "head-on" accident, you are the first one there..safety is an issue...I'll post a picture of a '66 freighliner with the sleeper berth mounted ABOVE the drivers compartment.

MKTEF

I understand that u don't like them because of comfort.:)
Here in Europe there nearly ain't anything but cabovers.

And the comfort has been changed extremly to the positive side.

Today cabs ride on airbags, rubber mounted torsion bars and dampers on the side of the airbags.(u nearly don't notice the bumps the chassis have to cope with)
All cabins got airseat and adjustable stearing wheels.
Some of the long line trucks got a flat floor inside the cab too.

It's a completely different world than just some years ago.;)

U turn your seat around, and walk back to a full lenght bunk, watch tv when your microwave heats your dinner and grabs a coke from the fridge...

Attachments

• 566x228_FH_cab_interior_1.jpg
    566x228_FH_cab_interior_1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4,358
  • 566x228_FH_cab_interior_3.jpg
    566x228_FH_cab_interior_3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 4,322
  • 566x228_FH_cab_variants_3.jpg
    566x228_FH_cab_variants_3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,945
  • 566x228_microwave.jpg
    566x228_microwave.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,567
  • 566x228_refrigerator_rear.jpg
    566x228_refrigerator_rear.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,720

DigDug

I have always liked the look of the Europeon cabovers. I wish more were here in the states. They must have great visisbility for getting around in tight spots . :drinkup