• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Business is slow this season

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I probably shouldn’t put this for all to see: I have a conversation book.. I jot down names, types of pump they have, the problem and how much I ball parked the job at..
OH, AND THE DATE.!!
SO… when you call me 3-5 months later.. whining that u NEED your machine, I can “probably” fit u in.. lol

My favorites are the locals that tell me they have about 20 machines and I’ll be getting all of their work from now on...and I never see them again..

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
And don’t forget the guys who promise to flood you with work if you’ll give them a deal.
I also had a guy ask me for a kickback because of all the work he got me at a sawmill. I pretended I didn’t hear him.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Yes, that’s what I was getting at..
I’ve learned.. but it still hurts KNOWING that they’re standing there lying to my face, after I pushed jobs back to HELP THEM OUT..

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
The only customers who get jumped to the front of the line are the guys who don’t bitch, pay on time, and actually give me all the work they can. Other than that, I’ll just put you on the list.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I get those calls sometimes, guys calling and asking me to come fix their whatever, and can I give em a deal on this one because they have lots of other business to give me. Every single one of those clowns is full of it. Most of the time, when I do get new legit business, they don't even ask what my rate is, they just ask how soon I can fix their machine. Their downtime cost is always higher than my rate anyway.