• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

BCFP VET

Occupation
old school logger,jack of all trades.
BCFP VET Having lived in Caycuse before the road from Honeymoon Bay was put in, we went to school in Lake Cowichan by boat and the railway speeder that ran down the North Shore to Youbou. The speeder ran from BCFP Nitnat (Camp 3) to Youbou. HDX is correct in post 235. I was in the Nitnat camp a few times when I was a kid.
Sorry wrong, what year was this because cn rail stopped using the railway behond youbou sawmill as of the 60's, the rais and ties were later covered over with gravel and dirt , in the early 70's the road from the sawmill was a actually logging road, bcfp converted from rail to trucks, my uncle helped the bcfp railway crews tear up the tracks to the backofthemill where the bunks were located, there was a speeder system in the 50's but later on all was ripped up, challenger was manufactsured in alberni in 85 by a fella by the name of john, for a few years, using oem parts from mack and other outfits,yuks were made by leyland trucks and then someone else using there own parts, they were built verymuch like a hayes, nice and heavy and tough, a little heavy on fuel though lol, oh and my other uncle who lived up in shawnigan lake worked at bear creek camp and used bcfp's speeder system and later on for harrison creek camp, untilthey were both shut down, around 1963, that was around the time the logging railway was shut down period,

Rusty Grapple

BCFPVET this thread is not going anywhere so lets just write it off Thanks HDX

I for one really enjoy the thread- the trucks and the machines and the history. It sure seems like alot of nonsense and quarreling over nothing lateley (in several of these threads not just this one).

HDX you have contributed to alot of enjoyment for me so dont stop posting. I can learn something new with every post!

I'm not much of a translator, but I think a 'Yuk' might be backwoods for 'Euc'? Just a thought.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I for one really enjoy the thread- the trucks and the machines and the history. It sure seems like alot of nonsense and quarreling over nothing lateley (in several of these threads not just this one).

HDX you have contributed to alot of enjoyment for me so dont stop posting. I can learn something new with every post!

I'm not much of a translator, but I think a 'Yuk' might be backwoods for 'Euc'? Just a thought.

I believe you probably nailed it about what a 'Yuk' might be. I also agree about too much quarreling. I contributed some of that unfortunately, and may very well have helped to run an honorable man off from this forum. Hopefully not.

30 B

Can't we all just get along.
I get tremendous satisfaction seeing the pictures and learning about the companies and people behind them.
No one should use information on this site to profit unless they ask the poster first ie is that machine for sale, could you ask the owner if I could sell it for scrap, I would like to talk to the owner. Possibly the request would be nothing more than be able to learn from someone's experiences rather than the old stand by of the school of hard knocks.
No one should be criticized for their endeavors to make money. Don't post locations of machines, if the owner can be put together with a prospective purchaser for whatever use and a deal is made to the mutual satisfaction of both parties then we should all be please with the outcome and not complain.
I for one have sent several machines to the scrap yard that I was unable to sell and can't afford to keep untill the end of time with no productive use in sight. Some I was happy to see gone, others I would like to have kept, but how many cable shovels and old delimbers can you keep in your back yard before the neighbors complain.
Use some discretion as to locations of machines and respect the intentions of other contributors as you would have them respect your intentions. The information here is priceless to those of us interested in learning how others have done things in different times and places.
Keep the posts and pictures coming and the history of lost parts of our industry set down in writing. We will all be better off for the knowledge.

Thanks

BCFP VET

Occupation
old school logger,jack of all trades.
View attachment 87113 a friend that grew up in port renfrew gave me his late fathers hats from bcfp. his dad train logged there and also ran the booming grounds , later in his life he worked at the bcfp boom at victoria .

Hello, just wondering im trying to refurbish my old bullard hard had and the old bcfp logo has warn off, Were trying to recreate the replica, i wonder if maybe you could take another picture of the hard hat up close, I have a collection of this stuff actually one of a kind and plan on opening a museum up one day when all complete, I'm sure you wouldn't be into selling your hard hat, I need the colors of the emblem to march, thank you

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
One thing I really enjoy about all these Canadian threads are the camp names; Fanny Bay, Honeymoon Bay, Cayuse, Youbou etc.

Down here in the states, we hear: Lester, Grisdale, Camp 1, Camp B etc.

The names are much more poetic up north. I guess that is why you have Bob Swanson and we do not.....

HDX

Jumbo Bob Swanson was the greatest MR AIR CHIME himself I still have my original industrial air ticket with his signature on it LOL

hoglogg

Hello, just wondering im trying to refurbish my old bullard hard had and the old bcfp logo has warn off, Were trying to recreate the replica, i wonder if maybe you could take another picture of the hard hat up close, I have a collection of this stuff actually one of a kind and plan on opening a museum up one day when all complete, I'm sure you wouldn't be into selling your hard hat, I need the colors of the emblem to march, thank you

here ya go with a pic of bcfp hardhat

hoglogg

ooops sorry cant seam to get the pic smaller again , i will try when i get some more time , i am brain farting right now ...

hoglogg

bcfp logo try again

going to try again

Attachments

• 001 (Small).JPG
    001 (Small).JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,591
  • 001 (Small).JPG
    001 (Small).JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,683

Born2clearcut

Time to bring this thread back to life :) Here's a picture of the Caycuse school Jan1969 . It may bring back memories for some of you. Some of my pictures may not have machines in them , but they may show a brief look back in time .

Attachments

• jan1969caycuse school.jpg
    jan1969caycuse school.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 1,698
Last edited:

Born2clearcut

3 Cats snubbing some type of machine up the hill , must be a heavy it has soild steel wheels under it with 3 cats pushing and pulling.

Attachments

• 3 cat snub uphill.jpg
    3 cat snub uphill.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 1,706

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
3 Cats snubbing some type of machine up the hill , must be a heavy it has soild steel wheels under it with 3 cats pushing and pulling.

Could that be an old Washington Slackline machine? Snoqualmie had one that looked almost identical. It was scrapped in the late '70s carried a 2" skyline with an Iron Bird Carriage. I do not remember if the carriage was Washington mfg. or Young mfg. I seem to remember it as a product of Young but someone here will remember. It was the last yarder using a wooden tree there. I never worked under it as a slackline machine, just as a high lead machine. I got broke in there using 1-1/4 x 60 chokers. I immediately realize I liked working behind a cat which only had 7/8 chokers.

Anyway, when they moved it, they never used the transport; they just drug it around on those steel wheels. Everything about it was LARGE. After nearly 40 years, the memory fades and I think the mainline was 1-1/2 and the receding line was 1” I thought a 16” Ropemaster block was big, the 20” Young blocks used on that machine were monstrous. I remember the Iron Bird sitting in the yard at Weyerhaeuser, I do not remember the size of the engine, but I think the drop line was 1” about 150 feet of it.

The whole lashup was replaced about ’77 with an 046 Madill. What a tiny machine compared to that old Washington