• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat fuel pick up tube repairs

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Lube the clear tubing and steel elbow with petroleum jelly. One thing I do when I install one like yours, just at end of hands reach, is clamp a pair of vise grips to the square part of elbow, gives you something to grip to push the elbow into the grommet.

mach123

Well guys, I finally managed to get new grumet and screen part changed out yesturday. I busted nuckles over and over and still could not get the rubber grumet to pop in, so I decided to put the wife`s hair blower in there and heat it up real good and WOW just poped into place so remember that for anybody trying to change one out. So now it runs great and then shut off with code 34-04 had dealer look and it only did it once, so where do you guys think I should look first and if it has been a problem with this previously. Thanks

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
Hey Willie! What about a T190? I got something funky going on, it has to be fuel/air related. Machine dies, hand prime and your back in business.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, I've been following your thread NCPIPELINE, got an odd one there. But your getting professional advice from crewchief, he is a Bobcat wrench. I'm just curious to see how it shakes out. ;)

crewchief888

Yes, I've been following your thread NCPIPELINE, got an odd one there. But your getting professional advice from crewchief, he is a Bobcat wrench. I'm just curious to see how it shakes out. ;)

naw, i just beat on bobcats with the biggest sledge:bash hammer i can find

yea, so true, been at my current dealer 15 years... another 18 months at another bobcat dealer where i got started wrenching
9 months a new holland dealer hat went out of business, 10 years at a JD construction/utlity dealer..

man , i'm getting old......:(

:drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

Sledge? Pffttttt, I'm a runt, sledge hammers aren't friendly to me, I straighten dents in Bobcat rear doors with a 10,000 lb Atlas Copco hammer, one thump and ur done. :D

T300 dent remover resized.jpg

bill onthehill

yea, so true, been at my current dealer 15 years... another 18 months at another bobcat dealer where i got started wrenching
9 months a new holland dealer hat went out of business, 10 years at a JD construction/utlity dealer..

Sounds like some kind of masochist to work on them things that long. I have worked on a few over the years and when I finally bought a skid steer it was not a Bobcat. Not that they are not capable machines but working on them is for young fellas. :D

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer

Sounds like practical experience to me.

crewchief888

Sounds like some kind of masochist to work on them things that long. I have worked on a few over the years and when I finally bought a skid steer it was not a Bobcat. Not that they are not capable machines but working on them is for young fellas. :D

all depends on the machine, some models are much easier to work on than others.

i shoulda listened to mom my and been a brain surgeon.....
or maybe she meant i needed brain surgury :beatsme

i was a machinist in a tool & die shop for almost 8 years, today i couldnt see myself still doing that kinda work.

and i'd venture a guess i probably make more money pulling wrenches, welding, and beating on stuff than i ever would have as a machinist.

i agree, it's a "young mans game" but theres very few younguns that are willing to work on anything, especially if it involves the business end of a 16 lb sledgehammer.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
all depends on the machine, some models are much easier to work on than others.

i shoulda listened to mom my and been a brain surgeon.....
or maybe she meant i needed brain surgury :beatsme

i was a machinist in a tool & die shop for almost 8 years, today i couldnt see myself still doing that kinda work.

and i'd venture a guess i probably make more money pulling wrenches, welding, and beating on stuff than i ever would have as a machinist.

i agree, it's a "young mans game" but theres very few younguns that are willing to work on anything, especially if it involves the business end of a 16 lb sledgehammer.

I am 27 years old. Have never had any "training" I just get up everyday at 4 and work til the job is done. No one around here to learn from. I am the only wrench turner. Every day is a learning experience. Without this forum and the internet I don't think I that I would have been able to repair a third of what I have. A mentor sure would be nice though.

SkidRoe

Great thread! Did this job on my on my 440b last year. On the 440 - S70 machines, it is pretty easy. The elbow is basically right behind the operator's head, just flip the ROPS up for access. I was even able to fish out the original strainer one broken off piece of tubing, as it has filler necks on both sides (the one on the right is actually for the mechanical fuel gauge).

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
I am assuming that this machine had a rigid pick up tube, when I removed the grommet there was just a piece of it left covering the elbow. It is still inside the tank to the best of my knowledge, don't see any way to get it out. I installed the flex tube with strainer and reinstalled. Everything seems to be running much better.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Sorry about the no reply NC, been in Indiana for the last two days. But given the pics you posted, I can't wait to work on one of those. I haven't worked on a Bobcat that the fuel pickup to is that easy to get to, I've only worked on the ones that are a PITA. :drinkup

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
I was pretty surprised when I looked at the diagrams online, then went and popped the hood. BAM! Right on top, hardest part of the entire operation was those damn compression clamps.

OH_Varmntr

Thanks to the advice on this thread, I found it helpful to repair my neighbors machine so I thought I'd register and post my findings.

The machine is a Bobcat 863 and it would start and run for 10 minutes or so then start to hiccup and lose all power. After some research he purchased a new pickup tube/filter assembly and after some searching and coming up empty-handed, he asked for my help to fix it. It IS possible to replace a broken fuel pickup tube without removing the engine. Simply lift the cab.

Yes, you can remove the cover behind the right-rear wheel BUT you can only get a finger or two on it, and that's if you're stick-boned like myself, and you NEED both hands on it. Through the cover you can see what you're looking for with a flashlight. He had the cab up so I laid down and began feeling around underneath and behind the hydraulic pumps while he wiggled the pickup hose at the primer-bulb.

If you reach behind the pumps with your left hand, you can feel a sensor plugged into the top of the tank. The fuel pickup tube is a few inches toward the front of the machine and to the right (again looking towards the rear of the machine). There are two hoses that go into the tank a few inches apart, and the pickup is the one closest to the sensor. After prying the grommet out of its hole, we found the pickup tube had broken completely off of the elbow, just below the compression hose clamp. The remaining hose was red in color (stained from fuel dye) and was very brittle. Whether it was completely broke prior to removal or it was just cracked and it broke due to me removing it I don't know, but atleast it was the culprit.

After cleaning up the brass elbow and grommet, we installed the new pickup tube with the grommet already slid over it into the tank. The grommet did not want to slide in easily and it took the help of a small screwdriver to convince it to pop in there. Once the grommet is in, you can hook the brass elbow into the pickup tube and slide the pickup tube firmly into place in the grommet until it's seated all the way down. Hook the fuel hose back up to the elbow, tighten the clamp down and you're all set.

Hopefully this will help anyone looking for answers in the future!

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Welcome to HEF !

As for when I replaced the Fuel gauge in mine, almost the same location as your fuel pick-up line, …..YOU FAILED to read the Really REALLY Fine print on the instruction sheet that came with your new parts ………. It READS !!! as a PRE-QUALIFICATION ….. "ONE MUST BE A CONTORTIONIST" ….. To Be Able To Complete this Task !!! ….

Have FUN Out here !!! ….. LOL …… Cheers !

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF OH_Varmntr. :drinkup

You forgot one thing CRAFT: "It's mandatory to use your favorite swear words when repairing pickup tube" :D