• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat fuel pick up tube repairs

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
A very common repair task with Bobcat skid machines is problems with fuel pick up tube inside fuel tank. This has been talked about at various posts on the forum, so I decided to start a thread to discuss working on the pick up tube on various Bobcat models. I'm hoping as time passes that other members will add more info about the different configurations and locations of pick up tubes on the different Bobcat models as they're not all the same.

On early machines they used a flexible tubing with a strainer screen and check ball at the end of the pick up tube. On the later models Bobcat has started using a more rigid plastic tubing with no strainer or check ball. On the models that use flexible tubing, it may look like clear vinyl tubing, but it's not, vinyl tubing is not an acceptable replacement, you should get a length of tubing from Bobcat as it's not terribly expensive and works far better than clear vinyl tubing. Also, whenever your working on fuel pick up tube, always use a new seal grommet.

The first thing I want to discuss is the easy way to assemble the flexible style pick up tube to get it ready for installation (as if the word "easy" can even be used when discussing Bobcat).

First, use a pair of snap ring pliers to gently spread compression clamp and work it onto pick up tubing.

flexible fuel pickup 001.jpg

Once you get the compression clamp on tubing, use a small screwdriver to work it onto tubing leaving appx 1/16" of tubing outside of the clamp.

flexible fuel pickup 003.jpg

Lightly coat the inside of tubing with petroleum jelly using screw driver tip.

flexible fuel pickup 004.jpg

Lightly coat hose barb on strainer screen with petroleum jelly, gently press hose barb into tubing until fully seated on hose barb.

flexible fuel pickup 005.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Now prepare opposite end of pick up tube. Lightly coat inside of seal grommet with petrol jelly.

flexible fuel pickup 006.jpg

Lightly coat about 2 to 3 inches of tubing with petrol jelly, then slip seal grommet onto tubing about that distance.

flexible fuel pickup 007.jpg

Fit a compression clamp on tubing in same manner of opposite end of tube, lube inside of tube and barb of elbow with petrol jelly, then gently push hose barb into tubing.

flexible fuel pickup 008.jpg

Now you have the pick up tube assembled and ready to install, except (now it's time for me to bust out laughing at myself)...when I started posting these pics that's when I noticed I fitted the wrong barb of the elbow on tubing! :eek: :eek: Oh well, consider this a demonstration on how "NOT" to do it. :tong

flexible fuel pickup 010.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Now we can discuss the various models and the location of fuel pick up tube. Probably the easiest to service was the 743 since the fuel tank was located behind the seat when cab is raised. Once Bobcat started putting the tank in the belly of the machine under engine and hyd pumps life got real interesting for the wrench bender. In most all Bobcat skids, you have to start by raising the cab. Some, you access the pick up tube via a side panel.

This particular model is a late model S205. This one uses the rigid tubing, but the machine is having some sort of fuel problem and I want to make certain the pick up tube is not the problem before proceding to other possibilities.

Trust me...there's a fuel pick up buried in this mess. It's located just to the rear and to the left of the back of the chain case, slightly forward of drive pumps.

S205 fuel pickup 001.jpg

The fuel hose to engine runs underneath the engine/pump frame rubber isolater mount on that side.

S205 fuel pickup 002.jpg

Don't even waste your time trying to remove that compression clamp on the hose. Instead, cut the hose where it connects to elbow with razor knife.

S205 fuel pickup 004.jpg

Turn the elbow fitting so that you can grip the elbow with a long nose pair of vise grips. Gently work the elbow/grommet out of tank. Be gentle, the elbow is plastic on this model.

S205 fuel pickup 005.jpg

Here's the rigid pick tube assembly. If tube and elbow are in good shape, remove old grommet and remaining piece of hose and compression clamp. If tube or elbow is not good, replace with new assembly from Bobcat.

S205 fuel pickup 006.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
For installation, lube inside of new grommet with petroleum jelly, press grommet into hole in top of fuel tank.

S205 fuel pickup 007.jpg

Lubricate pick up tube and elbow barb with petrol jelly, fit tube into grommet in tank.

S205 fuel pickup 008.jpg

Gently push tube into grommet until it barb on elbow meets grommet.

S205 fuel pickup 009.jpg

Gently push elbow into grommet with end of pry bar.

S205 fuel pickup 010.jpg

Again, don't waste your time attempting to fit compression clamp, simply fit a worm gear clamp on hose, push fuel hose onto elbow, and tighten clamp. You're all set.

S205 fuel pickup 011.jpg

Colorado Digger

thanks

thanks for reminding me what a pain in the a.. that repair is. i still remember the last one you talked me through a few years ago. can you also make me a "how do" on my final drive seals? and no, your 225 won't start leaking till 6000 hours.

have a great day willie!

regards, cd

Last edited:

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Thanx willie59 for reminding me what a PIA it was to change the fuel gauge sending unit on my A300 ....... you have to be a contortionist to be able to get there AND you are doing this TOTALLY BLIND ..... the old gauge fell apart

There is no way in hell that you can even see in there ..... your 205 job must be a totally diff setup..... but having read what you posted about a problem with the fuel pick up also reminds me of an up coming job someday

Mine runs out of fuel ! ..... but when you open the tailgate you'll see that the primer bulb is totally flat ...... if you pull the tank side of the bulb off, and try to blow with your mouth (clean off the hose first ) it has resistance like a total blockage then poof its free you can go for hrs on end and nothing then it happens again #@%^#**&$%# :Banghead....... blow the hose and go again...... i've got this down to 3mins and we're going again

NOW ! ......I have drained the tank with the machine elevated pretty good in the front end (did it on my big tilt deck trailer) filtered the fuel that came out : perfectly clean, no water, no dirt residue of any kind .....nothing..... I even flushed extra fresh fuel to try and flush something out (I managed to get the missing brass piece that came off when trying to pull the old sending unit out, compared the old with the new and everything was now out ....Apparently)..... nothing else came out ...... Bcats answer to this is pull the engine out to get at the tank and remove it ....... THAT'LL be the day :pointhead..... just another one of those chapters in the book of never heard of that before ....Hmmmmmm ........Have a Good one .....Cheers

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LoL, such is life working on Bobcat machines CRAFT. I've been saying for years that working on a Bobcat is like working on top of a porcupine down in a hole. :tong

Sounds to me like you have a "floater" inside the tank, some kind of debris floating around that on occasion blocks the pick up tube. When you shut down machine (or does it on it's own), suction vacuum goes away and floater drifts aside. These problems are a PITA to deal with.

crewchief888

one thing i would add, is you are working on a machine with the plastic elbow, replace it with the steel elbow.
you'll thank yourself the next time you have to pull it out :eek:ops

another way i've found to remove the elbow and grommet, especially on the 700 series, (with the fuel pickup up front) is to use a (large) forked door trim tool.

:drinkup

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Got to use this info today! Thanks Willie :drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You're quite welcome alrman. ;)

But, you're a Case mechanic...don't corrupt thyself working on Bobcat machines. :tong

franklinute

Willie great info and thanks for the pictures. I own two 843 Bobcats. I generally replace all fuel lines with marine grade fuel hose every 5 years on these machines because I have had the original fuel lines get soft and collapse. As part of mainenance I can use a coathanger and pull the end of the pickup line out of the tank. I have seen the strainer clogged several times. I also moved the fuel filter block to the hinge side of the rear door. Make it much easier to replace filter and removing a fuel line to blow air back thru fuel line and into the tank.
I purchased these new and both have over 10k hours on their perkins engines. I did pull the engine on one at 9k hours and had it totally rebuilt because the compression was low and had several big oil leaks.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Another excellent thread, Thank you ATCO. I have yet to start my 863 fuel p/u line because of the PITA that it is. I go thru the right side after removing the rear tire, correct? thanks Doug

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I can't remember for sure Reel hip, Bobcat located the pick up in various places on all the models, I can't recall exactly where it is and how to access it on the 863. Once you raise the cab and locate for sure where the pick up is, you typically are able to figure out how to best get to it and do the repairs.

Reel hip

Occupation
I can't remember for sure Reel hip, Bobcat located the pick up in various places on all the models, I can't recall exactly where it is and how to access it on the 863. Once you raise the cab and locate for sure where the pick up is, you typically are able to figure out how to best get to it and do the repairs.

ok thanks. I thought that was what the panel was for on that side.

AndyGrevis

Occupation
Bobcat 863; Case CS150; Belarus 82; Claas

On the 863 pick up tube is in between pumps and engine. Very nice, usually almost clean, far away out of reach place :pointhead where might get by rising the cab, then laying on chaincase and trying to reach it. one more possibility, remove generator, and maybe, just maybe its possible to reach arround engine and get to pick up tube.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
On the 863 pick up tube is in between pumps and engine. Very nice, usually almost clean, far away out of reach place :pointhead where might get by rising the cab, then laying on chaincase and trying to reach it. one more possibility, remove generator, and maybe, just maybe its possible to reach arround engine and get to pick up tube.
Have one of these to do soon, think the pickup tube is broke in the tank, any advise? Not looking forward to it!:beatsme

LWG

I forget where I saw it, but there's a way of bypassing the hard part of this job. I decided that if I ever have to replace the fuel pickup, I'm going to do it this way. The guy got a piece of stainless the OD of which matched the ID of the fuel filler hose. He flattened a section of the stainless and drilled a hole for a through-fitting. He installed the fuel pickup, lengthened appropriately, in through the fuel filler tube down into the tank, and clamped it onto the through-fitting. He then put the section of stainless in the fuel filler and clamped. The fuel supply line was clamped to the outside of the through-fitting and routed to the engine. The existing fuel line on the tank was clamped off. In essence, he ran the fuel line into the tank through the fuel filler hose, which is easily accessible. All he had to do is come up with a way to allow the smaller fuel line to enter the filler hose and from there go down to the tank.

There's a nice write-up with pix somewhere. If you're interested I'll try to find it.

Reel hip

Occupation
LWG If you could locate it that would be great. At least I could weigh my options. The machine is only a back up but it would be nice to get it back upand running!

ibrory

I just joined and would like to thank everyone on this forum, especially willie59 for their input. With the help here, I was able to repair my 773G today. The fuel pickup on this machine is located just behind the fuel fill vent hose connection under the cab. Somewhat hard to reach but doable. If I had to do it again I would make sure I had a packing quit or similar padding to throw over the control linkage & plumbing. I was able to remove the hose clamps & shove the hose off of the barbed 90 that goes into the tank. With a pair of vice grips I pulled the barbed 90 & grommet out of the tank. The pickup tube was nowhere to be seen. I was fortunate to have some 1/4 polyethylene tube laying around and was able to straighten the coiled effect by using a heat gun. The tube ID is .170. With the use of a taper punch and the heat gun the ID can be flared to accept the 1/4 barbed tube. As it PE cools it seats & grips the barbed 90 perfectly.
A hose clamp is located 8 to 10" down line towards the engine and needs to be unbolted to allow enough free hose to re-clamp the 90. This can be reached with a 9/16 socket on a 9 to 12 extension but its tough to reach. Hence the quilt. I was able to get about 6" of free hose so I cut off the damaged end and refitted the hose to the 90. The polyethylene tube allowed the tube to be inserted through the grommet and was pliable enough I could slide the tube into the tank grommet and pull it back out a few inches to make the hose connection.
After bleeding the air out of the fuel filter & distributor, the engine fired rite up.
Hope this may help someone else as the problem can seem quite daunting.