• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe rate?

DCH

In northern BC here the going rate is just over $90/hr. That's what I charge for my 426C when I charge out, but for the most part it gets used on our own jobs.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Things are really slowing down here. We were having a nice recovery in the housing sector, maybe it's the HST coming. That tax may really slow spending here in Ontario. I'm not sure how a customer would react when you give him a $1000 bill for backhoe work and then ask him to give another $130 to the government. Glad I'm not a small contractor. Phil:)

diggerdave1958

Hey, Phil. I live about 1 mile from Canada on the St. Clair River. I go to Sarnia once in awhile i know about your PST and the HST do you have to pay taxes on Services too?

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
My last gig the Lady about had a stroke when i told her $60 hr, lol, i ended up bidding it for her mad out "ok" still.

good thing i don't do this to put food on the table like most you guy's,just a side hobby type thing for me.

rockdog

$60.00 an hour here. I have guy that rents my hoe for neighborhood jobs. He gives me $30.00 an hour he keeps $30.00. Hell I know that doesn't even cover wear on the thing but he has a hauling business (2 dump trucks) and is damn near starving to death. So I let him use it to try and help feed his family.

diggerdave1958

Hey, Rockdog thats realie good of you to help out someone in need, and maybe when (if) things start to pickup again it will pay off for you. he can truck and you can dig for him ??

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
i get 75.00 an hour but for the guys that i have frequent work from is 500 a day plus 200 for the operator (me)

daman

Occupation
In today market i am lucky to get $65.00 a hour for my Case 580SE 4x4 w/ext hoe 4 years ago it was $85 a hour and no questions ask. But this is Michigan and there are guys out there working for a lot cheaper than that.
So you get that dave in you area? not too bad for this economy something is better then nothing but there is a limit for sure.

i found out here giving them a set price gets more jobs vs they hear x amount and get sticker shock,you just need to know about how long a particular job will take and how hard your working your machine.

i've got stung in the ass before but also made out good :D.

BulldozerRay

Occupation
Equipment Operator/Driller
Here they charge $100.00/hr for the first hour just to show up and $80.00/hr additionally...no wonder I want my own...

diggerdave1958

Yea, Daman I know what you mean about gettting stung on bid jobs, so of the contractors i work with want a per hour price and a job price, they will use the per hour price if there are any extra on the job. But with home owners now its seem to be the "Lets make a Deal" you say u can do it for $XXX we will give you $XX the residental market is very tough these days, but i try not to trun down any work, but if they want the job for cheap i would pass, i don't need the pratice and the machine need to make some money for fuel and repairs.

daman

Occupation
Yup people don't realize the $ it takes to keep equipment rolling,new you have payments old you have repairs.

BulldozerRay

Occupation
Equipment Operator/Driller
Working for large companies and operating their machines, it's easy to forget costs...General public has NO idea... Talked to guy down the valley about his 416CIT...He bought it like new but has had repairs and maintenance over the years... 20 grand to rebuild the transmission, 10 for front pins and bushings...Local JD dealer told me "you really don't want to have to pay us to do pins and bushings"...

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
We are getting HST here in Ontario
%<---snip---%<
having to charge 13% on top of his rate, instead of 5%. Phil:)

Eeep, 13%, isn't going to cause much harmony! :(

Hard to figure out too plus you still have a GST too of 5% I think.

Courtesy of the last Australian Government there is 10% GST on all but a few things such as standard food, it's a lot of paperwork and reporting, at one time my Business was lodging 24 Tax returns per year plus the final one via the accountant, it's down to nine these days.

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
Yup people don't realize the $ it takes to keep equipment rolling,new you have payments old you have repairs.

Yes that is right, I have another request from a neighbour to clear a fence over 1km in Blue Sandstone again now, it cuts tracks about really badly and they are all bedrock, huge and round, last time I put a premium on for the heavy wear he brought in other contractors for a couple of years.

Never really make much with the contract after it's all said and done and my own jobs get overlooked, stirs up my tinnitus badly too, the old orops on my 1150D. :dizzy

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Yes 13% tax on everything you buy and any service needed. GST and PST tax are combining to be called HST. PST hasn't been charged on services, gas, or a few other items in the past. The gasoline here will have another 8% tax put on it( the PST portion). It's already over 40% tax, so they are taxing their own tax:). Good idea for making money.

It's going to create a huge underground in the service sector. I feel for the owner operator trying to do jobs for private individuals. Now people will shop around to find someone to do it for cash. The guy trying to run his business honestly will have a 13% handicap. Maybe I'm wrong. Phil:)