• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Back at last!!!and I FINALLY bought me a dozer!!!

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Hello everyone,
Well it's been a LONG time since I've been on here, due to a number of medical issues related to the disease I have, and also because I keep managing to hurt myself!:rolleyes: I really missed talking with everyone, and being able to keep up with all the post's, but I'm trying to "catch up", and see what all I missed. I also FINALLY bought a dozer, and I'd say it's about time since I've only been trying to get one purchased for the past year or so!:drinkup I got me a VERY nice 86 Fiat Allis 14C from a really nice Amish gentleman, and he only lives 75 miles from me so trucking was pretty inexpensive, thank God! Anyhow, it only has 3200 hours on it, it runs out super, and has a brand new SALT undercarriage, including everything from chains, grousers, rollers, idlers, sprockets, pins and bushings, etc., so I shouldn't have to worry about any of that for quite some time! Even the original paint is in pretty darn nice condition, and as a nice added bonus he had all of the manuals for it (owner,parts,service), so that was pretty sweet as well! I'm going to TRY and post a picture here, but it's been so long, I hope I can remember how to do it!??! I'm NOT very good at taking pictures, as you will see, and my dozer is a bit dirty in the pic, as I have been working it, but I think you can see it's in pretty nice condition, and it's been very well cared for. At any rate, I'm VERY happy to be back on, and I hope all of you are doing great, and made it through the drought okay! My horses and cows made it through but it was kind of rough on them, and I my ponds are still pretty darn low, and the creek is DRY! By the way, if any of you out there own a 14C, or have owned, or even operated one, and would like to share some of your thoughts, wisdom, and experteeze, of them with me I would be very grateful, I want to treat this dozer right, and keep maintaining it as well as it has been thus far! Well I guess that's it for now, Happy Holidays to everyone!!!

Best wishes and regards to all,
JD Dozerman

Attachments

• 000_2967_00a.jpg
    000_2967_00a.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,409

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Glad to have ya' back JDDozerman!:drinkup

Congrats on your purchase, may it serve you well.:)

Iwegian

best wishes jdDozerman and hope things go well with the 14c. There is a 1983 F.A. 14c on craigslist in southern Iowa that I was going to check out. They look like a good dozer but I found a D6C 8 miles away. Dave

Cat_man320

Hi , I've owned several 16B s about the same vintage . One thing you should check (if you see any leaks )is the oil level in the bull gear housing. If the oil is not up to the level of the plug , the outboard bearing on the sprocket shaft will starve for oil . I not not really a fan of how they seal the gears and sprockets , just two metal plates that rub together. If the bellows that keep the plates together weaken a bit you will get leaks . keep an eye inside and outside of the sprockets for oil leaks .

boone

Welcome back JD! Nice looking Fiat! Glad you finally found a dozer that fit the bill.

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Thank you all for the very kind words, I must admit this last year has been one I'd rather not remember, and certainly not repeat, as it was mostly spent at doctors offices, hospitals, and such, but I got through it, and there are others who are MUCH worse off than myself, so I can't complain! It's really nice to be back, and to be able to talk with you all, I really enjoy reading all the posts, and taking in the wealth of information you all have to share! I can't tell you how much I've learned just by reading your posts, and I also love checking out all the pictures you all have posted! Anyhow, I'm really excited to FINALLY have my dozer, it seems to be a really good one, and I think it will serve me very well for quite some time, as long as I treat it right, which I certainly intend on doing! I would really like to know more about the machine though, I mean I know how to run it, I know what components it has and all, but I don't really know much "background" on them, i.e. how does the motor compare to say a comparable Cat motor, or some other brand, how does it "stack up" to other brands over all (from a "neutral" persons perspective preferably, since I know a lot of people only like certain makers), and I'm also hoping to get some more input on "do's and don'ts", or things to "be aware of", or just any little "quirks" this particular model might be known for, like the reply from Cat_man320 (by the way thank you very kindly for that bit of information I will certainly heed it!). @Boone, thank you, I missed our little "discussions", how's your machine working out, any new "projects", or pics of other projects I missed this past year? Anyway, thanks again guys, I really appreciate the warm "welcome back", and I wish you all the best as well! :drinkup:usa

JD Dozerman

Cat_man320

Your quite welcome . I'm am new to this board but i am some glad I found it as there is a wealth of info here and good people that are so willing to help. I am willing to bet that information givin here has saved poor buggars like myself thousands and thousands of dollars from the over priced service shops. There is always someone here that knows everything about something or something about everything on our machine . That makes it a great place to come with a problem .
JD . as for your 14c , keep fresh oil and filters in it , clean air filter , no traveling in high gear for long periods, no shifting forward/ reverse at anything but idle , keep trans and bevel gear oil full and you should have a trouble free machine for a long while .
Just wondering, I've been thinking about getting a dozer about that size 11C 14c D5 etc . any idea what the price range I would have to pay for something like that down your way ? I know excavators have taken over up here in the Northeast of Canada , does it hold true for your area ?

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Thank you very kindly Cat_man320, I totally agree with everything you said, and I will definitely follow up on your advice! As for dozers in my area, I searched for a couple years, all told, and finally found my 14C, I paid $10,000.00 for it, which I think was an excellent deal, though some may argue that point. I looked at ALL the different makes, models, etc., and though it seems that IF you can find a reasonable person, it does seem that the dozers are a little cheaper here in Missouri (but then a LOT of things are cheaper here), than many other States, but again, that's just my take on it, from all the searching I did. Cats of course seem to bring the most money, oddly it seems like IH's come in a close second, at least for the TD 15's, 20's, and 25's! Fiat Allis, Komatsu, Dresser, etc., seem to bring less money, maybe because of people being afraid of getting parts, or finding someone who knows how to work on them. I wouldn't really say that excavators have "taken over" down here, but they certainly are popular, and do come in handy! I would love to have one myself, and that may be my next purchase. I have a backhoe attachment for my farm tractor that works for me, at least for most of my "projects", but an excavator would still come in handy for my ponds, and such! Anyway, I think overall most of the used dozers I found, in all makes, and in the D6 to D7 size, and from say a 1966 to 1988, generally ran anywhere from $10,000.00 up to around $35,000.00, just depending on how many hours, U.C. %, and overall condition. I hope this helps you, I'm not in the league with most guys on here, when it comes to "expertise", they have WAY more knowledge than myself, but this is all just based on all the research, and searching, I did trying to find my dozer! Thanks again for the great info, and Happy Holidays!

JD Dozerman

DPete

Good looking little dozer, I like the semi U, don't know a thing about Fiat but you couldn't go to wrong for the $$. Doze on

mitch504

A timber Co I used to do contract maintenance for had a couple of Fat Alices, and they were good machines.

As has already been said, take good care of her and she'll take care of you.

Glad you are feeling better.

boone

@Boone, thank you, I missed our little "discussions", how's your machine working out, any new "projects", or pics of other projects I missed this past year? Anyway, thanks again guys, I really appreciate the warm "welcome back", and I wish you all the best as well! :drinkup:usa

JD Dozerman

Glad your on the mend and well enough to run that dozer. Our 175 is running good. It's been one tough machine. The only thing we've done as of late on the loader is put new battery cables on. No new projects, just still cleaning up the farm. Speaking of projects, there's a 175C currently on govdeals couple of miles from home. It's an old county machine that's been parked at the tool shed for years and years. We checked it out. Even bid on it. Figured we'd buy it if we could pick it up cheap and make a project out of it, but the bid has passed our limit...it will make a great project loader for whomever buys it.

boone

shopguy, go to govdeals.com and register. All the bidding is online.

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
@Boone, sounds like you're keeping your machine busy, and yourself as well! I really enjoyed the pics you have posted thus far, and am looking forward to seeing more, when you have some of course. Sounds like we're both doing the same thing, I have a LOT of "projects" here at my farm, which is the reason I purchased the dozer in the first place. You know farming though, always another project to be done, and there never seems to be an end in sight, maybe just an ending of one project, and beginning of the next, and next, and next...!!! I hope it is all still going great for you, I'm so glad I can finally get started on my place, for a bit there I was wondering if I would EVER find the right dozer for me!

I'm hoping to get some pics posted myself, of my "new" 14C in action, but it may be a little bit depending on what the weather does, it's FRIGGIN FREEZING today!!! That darn wind just cuts through ya like butter, and freezes ya right down to the core! I'm doing a bunch of land clearing, fence line's, leveling, I also have one pond to repair, and a couple others to build, so my dozers going to be pretty darn busy for a while! I'm also hoping to either find a tree pusher attachment for it, or build one. I would feel much better having one to push these dang thorny Locust, and other trees, with to give me some "breathing room" from them, if you know what I mean! Anyhow, I will try to get some pics posted asap, and keep anyone interested, updated on my progress.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words, and well wishes, I really appreciate it! It is great to be somewhat on the mend, though I still have to live with the disease daily, but at least right now I'm more in control of it, rather than vise versa. I only hope it stays that way and doesn't decide to "turn on me" again, unfortunately it's just hard to tell! For now I'm "back in the saddle" and that's good enough for me, I'll take what I can get, and just keep pressing on, I have too many things I want to do yet! Happy Holidays to all!!!

JD Dozerman

boone

@Boone, sounds like you're keeping your machine busy, and yourself as well! I really enjoyed the pics you have posted thus far, and am looking forward to seeing more, when you have some of course. Sounds like we're both doing the same thing...
JD Dozerman

Looking forward to the action shots JD. Yup, sounds like your projects are much like ours. There are many things we've done that I would've loved to try my hand with a dozer. However, the loader has been so nice to take down trees I can see your desire for a tree pusher. As of late, I've been a bit lazy with the camera. Will try to take some shots in the future.

mopar65

Occupation
WG-10 power suport mechanic, work for the us gover
hey welcome back. I am pretty new on here but really like the site. Thats a really nice dozer you have. I just have a little cat 941 track loader my self. But did you buy that off a guy in around Salim MO? the town is past Saint james. If not no big deal. was just wondering becasue a couple of years ago a guy hold 3 Fiat dozers of different sizes like yours for sell. best of tuck to you with the new dozer and your health issues. mopar65

Seabass

Right on man, looks like a nice pieace of iron. Take some more photos or videos when you get the chance. Congrats