• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ax Men 2010-2011 season

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Just watched the first half of an episode online. Worksafe BC would shut those operations down in a heartbeat. The two fallers working side by side would both be fired before lunch in BC. Two tree lengths apart minimum is the least of the requirements. I don't think either one of them would pass WCB's faller certification. I doubt if either one of them even own a wedge.
Pihl's logging crew wouldn't last long either. I don't know any chokerman that would stick around after the hooktender blew signals to go ahead while the crew was still hooking the turn. Cartwheeling and breaking logs is not only dangerous as Hell, its hard on the rigging and it damages high value timber. Nobody seems to give a damn on any of these crews.
You sure got that right!

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Dear god, please Jimmy stop trying to represent the NorthWest loggers. Those idiots at S & S got shut down in Wa state by the government, and run out of town. I can only hope FL will do the same before they kill someone. That towing accident on tonights show was careless, but then having his kid stand in front of the boat like that??? I thought for sure he was going to break his kids leg.

How big of a deal is the dent in the tube on the Mean Bean? It did not look too bad.

On the Papac set up, I was confused by the anchor stump. It had a pully on it and looked like it was pulling cable through it. Was that a haulback anchor? Also the line did not look meaty enough for a skyline.

HITACHI350

all of the danger sence are staged last year when the log pile rolled on the green horn for rygaard it took 3 hour to get the right angle and they had to stack the pile rip it down and restack it 5 times cuz it wouldnt fall right so i dont beleave one bit of that show it a good so dont get me wrong but there isnt that much danger all the time

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
Dear god, please Jimmy stop trying to represent the NorthWest loggers. Those idiots at S & S got shut down in Wa state by the government, and run out of town. I can only hope FL will do the same before they kill someone. That towing accident on tonights show was careless, but then having his kid stand in front of the boat like that??? I thought for sure he was going to break his kids leg.

How big of a deal is the dent in the tube on the Mean Bean? It did not look too bad.

On the Papac set up, I was confused by the anchor stump. It had a pully on it and looked like it was pulling cable through it. Was that a haulback anchor? Also the line did not look meaty enough for a skyline.

I was always told god blesses the the dumb and the drunk

rino1494

Man is that show getting worse. Kinda funny that they had 3 cameras mounted near the trailer hitch. Looks like Jimmy must be making money. Probably from selling t-shirt, b/c it sure itsn't from logging. He has a new truck and a new boat.

Also, what the hell is up with that Shelby guy. I can't believe he doesn't get shut down for being such a idiot. Trying to blow the log out of the mud was a complete disaster.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Man is that show getting worse. Kinda funny that they had 3 cameras mounted near the trailer hitch. Looks like Jimmy must be making money. Probably from selling t-shirt, b/c it sure itsn't from logging. He has a new truck and a new boat.

Also, what the hell is up with that Shelby guy. I can't believe he doesn't get shut down for being such a idiot. Trying to blow the log out of the mud was a complete disaster.

yeah if you look close you can see that the tounge is already bent in the close up shots from under the tounge.

DirtHauler

Occupation
What do you guys think about the new show Gold Rush??? It comes on Fridays after Swamp Loggers.

I like it, i am sure that MSHA is going nuts watching it. It is going to be interesting to see how they manage things. I suspect they will run out of money before they get set up well enough to actually do much. The personalities are over the top and i suspect that is scripted. They mentioned needing 1000 gal a min for there wash plant. I am kinda curious where they are gonna put that kinda water when they are done with it. Hopefully not straight back into the river.

On a safety and environmental front, looks like a train wreck is coming.

tylermckee

What do you guys think about the new show Gold Rush??? It comes on Fridays after Swamp Loggers.

Ive been watching it but its kinda like watching a train wreck. they have already swing their ex into at least 2 vehicles, nearly crushed the little gatator they had carried across the river once they realized it could only cross 2' of water. I dont know what the idea there was either, the 400 already has 5-6' before water is too high, plus you have this big scoopy thingy infront of you that you can stick in the water to check depth before crossing. Its interesting anyways.

Iron Art

Occupation
Retired power plant control operator
I wonder who these shows are being taped for? Must be part of the government stimulus program otherwise they would all be out of buisness for safety violations. Fred

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
I'm glad you guys see the rediculas actions of the Gold Rush crew! I live in Haines and am a 36 year member of IUOE Local 302. They are total idiots! We need a thread just for them. Yes, it is very scripted.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Scritped and contrived ...but I still like it

There were half a dozen cameras mounted on Jimmy's new boat and trailer when they lost it.

Were we not supposed to know what was going to happen?

sandnsnow

Occupation
adult babysitter
I'm glad you guys see the rediculas actions of the Gold Rush crew! I live in Haines and am a 36 year member of IUOE Local 302. They are total idiots! We need a thread just for them. Yes, it is very scripted.

Good idea on the thread since we hijacked this one.

sandnsnow

Occupation
adult babysitter
There were half a dozen cameras mounted on Jimmy's new boat and trailer when they lost it.

Were we not supposed to know what was going to happen?

Why else would there be a camera on the tailgate facing down on the hitch and one facing the bumper from under the trailer? O ya and where is the text book on how to stop a trailer when you dont lock it on the ball?

mailtrain

Occupation
retired crane oper,heavy equip,logger
Cletus the oldman on the gold rush crew I would have sent him down the road kicking cans and counting houses. He's about as dangerous as the bears are.

If he ever worked for me he would be done quickly.Just a bullheaded old bustard.

My uncle is buried at Ft. Richardson.

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
Why else would there be a camera on the tailgate facing down on the hitch and one facing the bumper from under the trailer? O ya and where is the text book on how to stop a trailer when you dont lock it on the ball?

I had to laugh when he said that, and it makes me wonder how many times he has had a trailer come off the ball, going down the road, I would guess that it was not the first or the last time that will happen. And then is James just a dumb as his dad, there would be no way I would work with him if he treated me the way he did when he went to work for collins without him.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Hopefully they do come in later. It's been three episodes in and they haven't even shown Browning yet:mad:
I heard Lemare comes into the picture down the road. I cannot wait. Cant believe it as they will have to break the BC law to satisfy the Tv crews, lol. Just my hunch but they probably come in late as they will surpass the total load count in 6 episodes. Alaska seems good too. What kind of yarder is the Mean Bean? I like Brownings crew for the most part.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Did anybody else notice tonight how many times Pihl's yarder had a different carriage hanging of it?
At first they had a Acme, then they were running some butt rigging. Next scene shows a shotgun carrriage then there was a big blue car of some kind, kinda looked like a Bowman.
I know there are some real dummies out there just eating up this show, and have no clue about any of the work thats going on. But come on. Do they think we are all that stupid?
The show is good for a laugh, thats for sure!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Did anybody else notice tonight how many times Pihl's yarder had a different carriage hanging of it?
At first they had a Acme, then they were running some butt rigging. Next scene shows a shotgun carrriage then there was a big blue car of some kind, kinda looked like a Bowman.
I know there are some real dummies out there just eating up this show, and have no clue about any of the work thats going on. But come on. Do they think we are all that stupid?
The show is good for a laugh, thats for sure!

I even see 2 different 071's with Pihl. Lots of different rigging- everything imaginable, and 2 different yarders there. He must have 2 going and they're bouncing between them.

And Rygaard- 8 freakin' hours for a road change!!?? I've seen whole crews fired for less, and I have NEVER heard of a road change taking that long. If I had a 3,500' road change coming up I'd have had 2 people go make that layout a week ahead. It isn'y rocket science and you CANNOT shut a whole side down due to poor planning.
Well, you can- but you'll be broke soonafter. You only get 22 logging days a month.
If he had to use the helicopter he still should have laid that haywire out days ago.....

I wonder how much the 'Channel' is paying these people to make up for all the production loss.......? Hopefully a ton of money.

I watch it and just go nuts. I had to turn it off way early tonight.....

Sorry for the rant. Axe Men reminds me of grade school, not of logging.

rino1494

I wish that Shelby would have blown himself up already. I am getting really sick of him. Building pipe bombs on TV. Where in the hell is OSHA and the ATF. I can't believe that these clowns haven't been shut down. The only real loggers on that show are Browning, and they haven't even been shown yet. I wonder if Vince McMahon is part owners of the History Channel.