• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ax Men 2010-2011 season

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
How about a fresh thread about the new season of Ax Men, the History Channel series now airing in the USA. http://www.history.com/shows/ax-men

Here is a link to the thread about the previous seasons. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?5698-Ax-Men

From the History Chan website
The Ax Men are back... In the fourth season, new crews from Alaska and British Columbia--Lemare Lake Logging and Papac Alaska Logging--work the heavily wooded islands that dot the Pacific coastline. Black bears, big lumber and a lack of real roads constantly challenge their ability to conquer one of North America’s final frontiers. Up here, the work doesn't end when the trees hit the ground. Also joining Ax Men are the teams who struggle to barge these mammoth logs downriver. It's a critical task and time is of the essence. Olson Marine, a unique tugboat operation in Alaska, transports millions of dollars in timber from remote logging sites to sawmills, but standing between point A and point B are hundreds of miles of the most volatile waters and unpredictable weather in the world.

In the mountains of Washington and Oregon, father-and-son team Gabe and Craig Rygaard return again to battle nemesis and reigning top dog J.M. Browning. Pihl Logging is also back and they've hired a new greenhorn: Leah Proctor. She's worked as a forest firefighter for years and is ready to prove that she can keep pace with the boys.

Down south, Shelby Stanga is back and has his sights set on the biggest logs in the Louisiana swamp... but to claim them, he'll need help. With a cast of sidekicks as colorful as he is, will this be the year Shelby saves his sinking empire? Next door in Florida, James Smith goes another round with Joe Collins and crew, while James' dad Jimmy decides he's not giving up so easy.

Eight crews embark on the toughest season of their careers, but only one will be... King of the Mountain.

Can anyone fill in some of the machines featured this year, perhaps Contract Logger can give us some history on them.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...e-Oregon&p=237214&highlight=R-7056#post237214
TMY-70 S/N R-7056.
This machine was purchased new by L. Jepson and Sons of McMinnville Ore in 1987 to be used on thier logging operations at Clatskanie/Vernonia for Longview Fibre Company. I have pictures of it brand new I took in 87' someplace, and various pics of it throughout its life as I was around it often. They logged with it up until this year and in March of 2010 it was sold to Mike Papac of Montesano Wash for his logging operations at Craig, Alaska. 3 weeks ago I was on location in Craig (naturally) and took these pics for your viewing pleasure. Mike has several other yarders in Alaska including an 071, a TMY-45, and a big Berger Marc 2. He is logging for Viking Lumber of Craig on this job and is one of the last outfits logging in Alaska today.

I will continue to follow this yarder as I have in the past, and I cannot say too much right now, but Axe-Men is here filming right now and you will be able to see this machine in action in Alaska on the next season's lineup.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

sandnsnow

Occupation
adult babysitter
Just watched this seasons first episode. Looks like its going to be a good series and they have redeamed my interest in the show. I like the Alaska stuff but what the hell is Jimmy doing back?

hvy 1ton

Just watched this seasons first episode. Looks like its going to be a good series and they have redeamed my interest in the show. I like the Alaska stuff but what the hell is Jimmy doing back?

I feel cheated. Seriously.:pointhead

Papac looks like a pretty good outfit. I swear the road builder and the younger guy were about to bust out laughing when they were first yellin. Also, like how 2' minus is gravel and the lowboy is a portable shelter.:lmao

D5G

I only got to see the last 15 minutes, just enough to see the rygaard rejects dumping some logs on their 'new' yarder. This will be interesting, I hope they spend most of the time with Jay Browning's crews....as long as they stay away from Jesse.

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
Does anyone know a good website that I can download the episodes. I can watch it on TV here in the Stan.

heavylift

seen the new one...
I tend to agree that every reality show is pretty much scripted.

Now they have a girl.. ala ice road truckers..

Next season "girl loggers of India" and Lisa will be back to drive the logging truck

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
You know it is kinda like a train wreck you gotta look.

But I would like to see them spend some more time on brownings crew, they seem more professional than the rest. especially good ol Jimmy. that guy is a joke. but the alaska stuff should be good watching to.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
I wonder if they decided to not do the Lemare Lake crew after all, or maybe they will roll them out later in the season?

hvy 1ton

I wonder if they decided to not do the Lemare Lake crew after all, or maybe they will roll them out later in the season?

If they don't it will because they didn't yell enough, knew what they were doing, and were entirely too professional a crew to be on ax men. :lmao

grapple1

I heard Lemare comes into the picture down the road. I cannot wait. Cant believe it as they will have to break the BC law to satisfy the Tv crews, lol. Just my hunch but they probably come in late as they will surpass the total load count in 6 episodes. Alaska seems good too. What kind of yarder is the Mean Bean? I like Brownings crew for the most part.

hoglogg

in bc we not only have workers comp rules we also have( worksafe) companies for forestry ops , lots of red tape and i wouldnt think any bc company would want to be filmed breaking the millions of rules that are in the workplace .

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
That is probably why they are coming in later, all the footage is on the cutting room floor.

hoglogg

he heh i have a nice bunch of pics to show ...but i wasnt wearing a brain bucket soooo guess i better keep them to myself ........

BDFT

Most of those guys on Axemen wouldn't last ten minutes on the BC coast and most of the guys I know wouldn't work ten minutes for any outfit on Axemen. Good for a laugh though.

BDFT

in bc we not only have workers comp rules we also have( worksafe) companies for forestry ops , lots of red tape and i wouldnt think any bc company would want to be filmed breaking the millions of rules that are in the workplace .
Just watched the first half of an episode online. Worksafe BC would shut those operations down in a heartbeat. The two fallers working side by side would both be fired before lunch in BC. Two tree lengths apart minimum is the least of the requirements. I don't think either one of them would pass WCB's faller certification. I doubt if either one of them even own a wedge.
Pihl's logging crew wouldn't last long either. I don't know any chokerman that would stick around after the hooktender blew signals to go ahead while the crew was still hooking the turn. Cartwheeling and breaking logs is not only dangerous as Hell, its hard on the rigging and it damages high value timber. Nobody seems to give a damn on any of these crews.