• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin Western super300

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Still looking for manuals,For this Austin Western Super 300 thanks in advance. also need them for a Bomag BW100ADL

Attachments

• austin western grader.jpg
    austin western grader.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,723

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Found parts manual and operators, service manual. for the grader.
15 minutes of reading saved 15 days of work and got it right.
The grader is striped of paint and almost ready for primer, aftre primer then I will build a wireing harness but not install it till the finish paint goes on.

Still looking for the manual for the bomag. Never did hear back from bomagUSA.

Attachments

• bomag on stellar.jpg
    bomag on stellar.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,116

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Now looking for an operator for Austin Western grader

I need to find someone who can tell me in the linkage for the circle swing is correct as I can't seem to get the blade to go vertical on the side of the grader without the tip hitting the ground.

Attachments

• Austin western linkage.jpg
    Austin western linkage.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,404

Grader4me

Dwan Hall said:
I need to find someone who can tell me in the linkage for the circle swing is correct as I can't seem to get the blade to go vertical on the side of the grader without the tip hitting the ground.

Probally a little late with a reply but I just joined so here goes. Looks like you have quite a machine there. I think that is about as far as you are going to get your blade although I could be wrong as I have never operated a Austin Western. I know with the 1977 Champion that I used to operate I could put the moldboard horizontal or vertical (same position as your picture but even across, great for changing blades) this was because it had a high lift feature on it, which simply means that there are two different positions on each side in which you can change the position of the circle. On the old Champion this was accomplished manually by two levers, one on each side of the contol levers. On the new Graders this feature (high lift) is electric over hydrolic controls. Just to give you an idea how it works...when in center position both lift pistons are even. When to the far right position the left lift piston is fully retracted and the right is fully extended. Now by extending your left lift and retracting your right is how you bring the moldboard up and around to the side. Looking at your picture your left is fully extended and the right is fully retracted so unless I am missing something that is as far as you can go.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for the responce. I am still working on the restoration and have not had a chance to work the blade outside. Hopefuly I will have it done enough to take it out in a few months. I see what you meen about the ram on the left been fully extened and the one on the right retracted. What I was woundering is that linkage in from the circle to the frame. should the dog leg go left or right in the picture. I will take a few more pictures this weekend if it helps.
This position is what I was looking for.

Thanks again
Dwan

Attachments

• Austin-Western-blade-offset.jpg
    Austin-Western-blade-offset.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,010

Grader4me

Yup, I know exactly what you are trying to achieve. I have used the moldboard in that position many many times over the years for high bank cutting etc. In your picture notice the position of the moldboard and there is still room for the ram to retract allowing him to bring that side up even higher. So on this grader there has to be a way that he is repositioning the circle side shift as my previous thread explained. I don't think by adjusting the side shift bar is going to accomplish much except it might allow you to side shift the circle more to the right or left depending on which way you adjust it. I have operated graders all my life (25yrs) but never a Austin Western (seen them before) so I am not sure of the set up for the circle. With this type of machine there could be a different set up in which to high lift your moldboard. keep in touch and post more pictures. I will help you out all that I can.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks It will be a while before it is out of the shop . By the way welcome to Heavy Equipment site.

Deas Plant

Blade side-shift

Hi, Dwan Hall.
Many graders of that vintage would not stand the blade vertical in the side shifted position without the bottom end of the blade digging into the ground. The reasoning was that cutting would be done with the blade angled anyway so there wasn't a need to stand it vertical.

If my memory is correct (30+ years on), there were attachment balls on both sides of the circle frame for the side shift link. If both of yours are still there, you might like to experiment with changing the side-shift link over to the other side.

Also, there appears to be a bend in that side-shift link which does not seem to be in line with best engineering principles, i.e. keeping braces straight to best resist the forces imposed on them. You might like to check out that bend to see if it is ex-factory or a later change.

Hope this helps.

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

atgreene

If you're still looking, I think Steve McLean has an Austin Western grader at his lot for sale. When I get down there next I'll take a look and see if he has one that I can get a few pics of.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
atgreene said:
If you're still looking, I think Steve McLean has an Austin Western grader at his lot for sale. When I get down there next I'll take a look and see if he has one that I can get a few pics of.

It would be great if you could take a few pictures of the linkage area and that draglink in the picture I posted on 2/11/05 is correct. and as Deas Plant mentioned if it is suspose to be bent or straight.

Many thanks as the project is still comming along.. The more I do the more I find I can do.

Grader4me

Dwan,
Funny how you look at a picture and not notice anything abnormal until someone points it out? That sure enough looks like a bend in your side shift bar that is most likely not original. As Deas pointed out you could hook your side shift bar on the opposite side of the circle, but probally all you would accomplish is the same reach (as your picture shows) only on the opposite side.
By the way I seen an old Austin Western that had a bush hog attachment cutting brush along the road the other day. It was in great shape. The guy had a long boom with the bush hog on the end. He had duel wheels mounted on the right side for better stability. I plan on taking some pictures of it and will post them. Man was it ever doing a good job cutting the brush! :yup

Deas Plant

Extended side shift

Hi, Dwan.
If you look carefully at the black and white photo above, you may see that the side shift link is on the high side of the grader circle. It may make the difference, depending on which side you put the blade out to.

Hope this helps.

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

farmerrudy

Linkage Picture

For what its worth... here's what the linkage arm on our grader looks like. The bend sure looks factory. I don't know if this install position/orientation is from the factory or not.

I just purchased this grader. Needs lots of work, but we hope to use it for making waterways on our farm.

I'm used to fixin' up old tractors. But restoring any type of equipment provides the same thrill. Got any pictures of yours all spruced up?

Attachments

• AW Support Arm.JPG
    AW Support Arm.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,048

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I am sure the benc is factory as I have found 2 other AW's the same but still not positive on the orientation.
Mine still has a lot of work to go. most of the paint has been removed and 1/2 has been repainted. The stearing ram has been repacked and ball linkage has been tightened up. The tapered pins for the steering linkage were wore oblong and had no ware inserts so I made some and reshaped the tapered holes. Had to replace one of the 2 circle motors because 1 of the cast ears on the ram housing was broken off.
Still to go is build a new seat, rebuild front window frame, (someone welded frame closed) repack sideshift ram seals, find end cutting edges for blade (missing) a little welding hear and there. new muffler to quite down the 471. I have a link to a new 471 in a crate but don't think I need it and if I did I would put something quieter in there.
On the other 2 AW's I found the main frame like mine has had some welding done between the cab and the blade shift mount area. This must have been a week area.
When things slow down and I get back home I will have a new look on life and jump on mine with new vigger. Hope to have it on the road before turkeyday. :) Could use pictures of the linkage for the inside front window if you ever have time.

Thanks for the post and welcome to the site.

Dwan

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Geez what is it with you guys and the antiques :laugh

As for keeping a Jimmy quiet is try stick a turbo on it and buy spiral muffer I forget the part number but they are used alot on winders and dozer boats with 2 stroke detroit power. I doubt you would ever find a engine with the same dimensions to install into the grader.

The oldest graders around here is old 740 Champions some of them back to the early 70s.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I finaly got manuals for it, but noware does it give a clear picture of the linkage for the blade shift linkage.

As far as putting a turbo on the 471? I am not sure that is possable because of the super charger on the other side. I am sure I could find a ISUZU that would have more HP and a smaller frame. only if needed. I once ordered one of thoes mufflers for my 975 bobcat when I switched out the motor for a larger one. When it arived it was bigger then the motor I put in so I gave it away. worst $500 I ever spent. You would think it would cut down on the noise but even after I gave it away I can still hear my wife screeming about it.