• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin Western super300

ledsel

I had a 1948 4x4 Austin Western way back (it had a Buda gas engine, it was the lasiest engine I ever seen.)That bar is not supposed to be bent. If you look at the pictures you will see that it would not fit the other side in that condition. It was most likely bent by a inexperienced operator. If you moved it in the right position you will probably see how it got bent.

Grader4me

Hi ledsel..welcome to HEF! Sooo..where are the pictures?

On edit..sorry, I guess you was talking about the grader above..I thought you was refering to your own machine..Geez..I have to learn to read these posts more carefully..lol

Last edited:

ledsel

Hi ledsel..welcome to HEF! Sooo..where are the pictures?-------They're in between my ears, But I'll see if I can find some in print to share. I just started to think of how many I've had over the years and I've had 9. But I only have three left. I was in N.B. last month, Beautiful country. My avatar is my first one. My dad bought it from the next town around 1958. I still have it and want to restore it someday. It's a 1926? Sawyer Massey. 10-20 McCormick driveline. All mechanical (wheel type)

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Idesel, first welcome nice to have you aboard.

Your older machine linkage may not have had a bend in it but the more I find information on mine I am sure it is correct. The bend is suspose to be there.
I too would like to see some pictures of your equipment if possable the older the better.

Absolut Service

Do youvguys know where I can get parts for my 1973 A\W super 301 having trouble with the right side drive wheels may have broken chains or axel Is there a way to tell other than there don't slip on the ice

snapfruzen

Occupation
Grader since 1976,working at a coal mine with scra
The first grader I owned was an Austin Western Super 300 back in 1977. They were a great machine in their day, too bad they didn't survive until graders with locking differentials came out. Loved the rear wheel steer. The guy I bought mine from had put an interlocking coupler in the front drive shaft just in front of the cab. If you were going to road it for several miles, you pulled the two bolts out of the coupler and slide the front part ahead in the splines so the front wheels were no longer driving. Still and all, I bought it with the rear drive crashed so go figure.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Do youvguys know where I can get parts for my 1973 A\W super 301 having trouble with the right side drive wheels may have broken chains or axel Is there a way to tell other than there don't slip on the ice

I looked for parts on e-bay, always found what I needed after time except for the end bits for the blade.
As far as checking for a bad axle or chain I would do it the same way as a skid steer. Jack up the suspected side and get both wheels off the ground. try to move 1 wheel both should move with less then 1/2" play between the 2. if not adjust chain. to check axle I would block chain case off ground and put a floor jack under each wheel and look for bearing play. First indication of a bad axle is uasualy oil leak from inside wheel seal. (bad bearing will take out seal)

Hope some of this helps. What parts are you looking for and ware are the pictures?

snapfruzen

Occupation
Grader since 1976,working at a coal mine with scra
Absolut Service: Use the blade to lift the right side wheels off the ground. Leave it out of gear and the brakes off. Get out and turn a wheel by hand. If both wheels turn it's not chains but the the main drive axle. Sadly this is the reason Austin Western and in Britain, Aveling Barford (yeah I had one of those too) didn't make it.
They had beautiful soft hydraulics, six wheel drive and rear wheel steering back when Cat was still making Barny Rubble graders.

Absolut Service

Austin Westen

I was thinking the same way guys I have found a axel seal leaking on that side so I am going to get in to it in a few day and see what I find I have found new axles if I need them

thanks

rezeye

hey guys first post here i have a 1953 austin western super 99 and need rearend parts for it anbody know where i can get some thanks I really love this machine and would like to keep it going
IMG_0323.jpg

Tyson Oseth

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Dwan Hall I was wanting to know on your circle cylinders are the hose crossed coming off the swivel on your Austin Western?

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
The first grader I owned was an Austin Western Super 300 back in 1977. They were a great machine in their day, too bad they didn't survive until graders with locking differentials came out. Loved the rear wheel steer. The guy I bought mine from had put an interlocking coupler in the front drive shaft just in front of the cab. If you were going to road it for several miles, you pulled the two bolts out of the coupler and slide the front part ahead in the splines so the front wheels were no longer driving. Still and all, I bought it with the rear drive crashed so go figure.
I crashed a rear drive in a 300 around 1970 and still feel bad about it. No training, just told to go pull ditch while a more experienced operator spread it. I remember driving it back to the shop and the boss said "don't let it start hopping in the the ditch". Amazing I got it back to the shop, but that's what six wheel drive can do.
Hope you can put your's back right as I think that that the one I worked was a terific machine for plowing snow and if you take it easy with the dirt, it will do the job. The rear steer was ahead of its too. Great machine for those mountain roads.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Dwan Hall I was wanting to know on your circle cylinders are the hose crossed coming off the swivel on your Austin Western?
Will send you a copy of directions on how to sink circle motors later this week along with pictures of hose routing..

Dwan

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
In figure 32, circle and draw bar, on the 3"od x 12' long solid bar, the bottom rail on the blade, do you see that point where two 3" id x16" hold the lower blade? The blade has popped out again there on my Super300. Did you modify yours? The top Solid 2 inch bar I'm going to cut a new pipe and Slot it for the bar and weld the ears (#20) on that. Might weld a new slotted pipe on the bottom, does that make sense?