• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any brand log trucks

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
You mentioned "leisure hours." I don't think leisure was invented until the late '50s early '60s.
My most humble apology's , I was being sarcastic about the leisure thing . When I was a "kid" , if you went to a gym after work to "work out" , the crew would have run you off for dragging your a$$ on the job.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I was laughing when I read your initial comment, so I had to make a similar retort. No need to apologize . When we were "kids" gyms were where professional boxers worked out. Or, where you danced at school.

Truck Shop

If peterbilt would build something like this nowadays they’d be back ordered for years
That's a nice thought/idea but off the mark----That pete in today's market, it was a hand full to
drive, Hall Scott powered, 5 X 4 gear boxes, no power steering, no ac and damn little heat.
Plus noisy as hell, if we are going to go back in time then we really go back to the actual thing,
not a modernized version. pete really is more into OTR type trucks, that's where their game/
money is made. Vocational not so much. But the Irony of the truck above the man it's named
after {T.A. Peterman} of Morton Washington, he was in the logging business and wanted his
own brand built his way. Yes Peterbilt started in Washington State as a log truck, and ended
up mainly as a OTR choice. And moved from Newark Ca. to the state of armadillos, Denton Tx.
isn't any trees to be logged in Texas, Irony.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
That's a nice thought/idea but off the mark----That pete in today's market, it was a hand full to
drive, Hall Scott powered, 5 X 4 gear boxes, no power steering, no ac and damn little heat.
Plus noisy as hell, if we are going to go back in time then we really go back to the actual thing,
not a modernized version. pete really is more into OTR type trucks, that's where their game/
money is made. Vocational not so much. But the Irony of the truck above the man it's named
after {T.A. Peterman} of Morton Washington, he was in the logging business and wanted his
own brand built his way. Yes Peterbilt started in Washington State as a log truck, and ended
up mainly as a OTR choice. And moved from Newark Ca. to the state of armadillos, Denton Tx.
The first truck I was told was called the "Skate Creek Diesel Log Truck." Peterman as I was told didn't really want his name on the truck. Peterman was logging the Skate Creek drainage and hauling down to the Milwaukee RR reload at National. Then out to his mill in Tacoma. As a kid I got to hear quite a few interesting stories at the Mineral Tavern. The only age requirement there was to be able to reach up and slap two quarters on the bar for a schooner of Heidelberg. However, being the cheapskate I am it was usually a dime for a Coke.

Truck Shop

Fageol went out of business Jan 1 1939, Sterling bought Fageol for about 5 cents on the dollar.
Sterling then sold the remainder two months later to Peterman for $50,000. Below is from best
of records by a known Peterbilt aficionado one of the first if not the first Pete built in 1939.
289634241_1204090923764118_5755323955263799904_n (1).jpg

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
My mothers first husband was Richard Peterman, son of TA. Unfortunately they divorced before I was born, oh how I wonder what my life would have been like with him as my father.
My mother was 17 and married for money. She quickly realized that money didn't make happiness. But growing up in Morton the daughter of a Timber faller It seemed like a great life. He did give her a 1967 L89 Corvette as a birthday gift since they were both into drag racing.
I've often wondered what he is up to now or if he is still alive even.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
The first truck I was told was called the "Skate Creek Diesel Log Truck." Peterman as I was told didn't really want his name on the truck. Peterman was logging the Skate Creek drainage and hauling down to the Milwaukee RR reload at National. Then out to his mill in Tacoma. As a kid I got to hear quite a few interesting stories at the Mineral Tavern. The only age requirement there was to be able to reach up and slap two quarters on the bar for a schooner of Heidelberg. However, being the cheapskate I am it was usually a dime for a Coke.
Jumbo,
We have to be related somehow or you've got to know my family for sure as I've got four generations from that area. As a matter of fact my grandparents house burned down that was right across the street from the mineral tavern in the '60s. Two whole blocks burned. My other grandparents owned the Elbe tavern as well.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Yep, that Peterbilt plant in Denton is really something to see. Plus huge amounts of trucks parked everywhere, just waiting to ship. I worked in and around the Denton plant on and off for 45 years.

Oxbow

Heidelberg..........I haven't seen that name for awhile!