• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any brand log trucks

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Beats the crap out of me, Came from photos marked 47.
My first thought was they were moving ahead faster than we were here in the US. My second thought was that was a pretty rugged radio to survive in a truck like that. I know transistors were used back then, but they were moderately expensive.
Pretty cool to see such progress. I also liked what appears to be a shop built spark arrestor on the exhaust.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I wonder if the dashboard in those trucks fell on the floor like the newer models?

Truck Shop

I wonder if the dashboard in those trucks fell on the floor like the newer models?
Sterling was it's own in the those days, not a has been ford conglomeration. Rest assured the dash
had about 25 wires in it and was all steel.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Post war Sterling, Vancouver Is. 1947.

Interesting seeing what appears to be a two way radio antenna in 1947.
The M&B on the door stands for MacMillan & Bloedel , a company that was created in 1951 . So the picture is after 1951 . The radio antenna and base look to be like an early CB style. Most Trucks and Machinery of that era had "straight pipes" , due to fire hazards during Fire Season ( May - October ) Trucks and Machinery were reguired by Forest Service regulations to have Spark Arrestors on exhaust pipes . When mufflers with built in spark arrestors were developed in the 1960's , this policy was changed.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
That guy couldn't give a crap he just wants those logs down the mountain. lol
Some outfits started out on a low budget , a little haywire with less than premium equipment . Some survived and prospered . Some went broke and fell to the way side or worst . To appreciate what these fellows accomplished with what they had to work with , one would have had to work through the 1930's and 1940's in the "Woods" .

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
That guy couldn't give a crap he just wants those logs down the mountain. lol
Judging from the trees in the background, it's Mississippi, Alabama or some similar southern tier state. There are no mountains. As far as safety goes though, he is operating a truck with cutting edge AC (pun intended) to combat the heat and humidity of those states. It does a great job of fending off heat stroke.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
One photo five replies, to me it's a guy working his a$$ off no matter where he's at.
That's what I got out of it too, the man is making forward progress so nobody should be knocking him. I started out with $643, a worn out Toyota pickup and a chainsaw.

Unless you have somebody giving you a handout everyone starts at the bottom with the bottom level gear.

Truck Shop

In the early 80's I was between jobs, this guy I knew was a old faller. He had been injured and
hadn't worked for sometime. He knew of a stand of Larch in a area he had worked years before.
He had the saws I had the the 2 ton, we hauled 6 cored a day out and it was a distance to get
there. But that guy knew how to fall a tree, he had a few photos of when he worked the Olympic
Peninsula and the Oregon/Washington coast in the early 60's.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
In the early 80's I was between jobs, this guy I knew was a old faller. He had been injured and
hadn't worked for sometime. He knew of a stand of Larch in a area he had worked years before.
He had the saws I had the the 2 ton, we hauled 6 cored a day out and it was a distance to get
there. But that guy knew how to fall a tree, he had a few photos of when he worked the Olympic
Peninsula and the Oregon/Washington coast in the early 60's.
You got to do whatever you can do to get by. Unfortunately today's society just wants to give you an EBT card and get your vote.

dirty4fun

As a rancher told me when we were looking at his cattle. "I started with nothing and have most of it left." Pretty much where I was when I started in construction, then excavation. Would work all week during the day for one fellow, evenings on jobs I had and weekends helping a fellow move large manufacturing machinery. You did what it takes to get things done. OSHA would of had a field day with us some times. Like picking up one fork truck sideways and using it to pick up a part of a machine that the other one couldn't get to. After growing up on the farm you worked everyday, so it just seemed normal to me. Taught me how to work, and still enjoy working when most all of my classmates have been retired for 10 years.