• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

another 963C problem (drive)

Per Eriksson

Nikos, if you dont see "serv code" at the same time as the codes they are stored and not active and no longer indicate a problem.

10W hydraulic oil is good.

Cmark

Hey Powerjoke.

Per eriksson is probably right on the code referring to the throttle lever limit switch, but be aware that "voltage high", in Caterpillar's world, usually means an open circuit. In other words it may be a faulty switch or it may be a break in the wiring to the switch.

The throttle lever switch and engine speed sensor are used by the transmission ECM to control the load the transmission applies to the engine.

As for your 21Z, be cautious before diagnosing a noisy rear end as a failed final drive. It may be a faulty drive motor. I've been caught out by this one before :rolleyes:

Check it by attaching a good accurate pressure gauge to the motor case drain test port. Run the engine at full RPM. Anything above 3psi means a faulty motor. If you get less than 3psi, repeat the test with the track turning. Again, more than 3psi means a faulty motor.

Note that as far as I know, this procedure only applies to the non-electronic hydrostatic track loaders.

Last edited:

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
So your mechanic bought four new starters before he considered looking for the root cause of the problem? I bet your boss loves him!

We actually have about 20 mechanics and this machine has been living 5hrs north of E-dot in Fort MacMurray for the last year and a half. They rotate mechanics up north so they may not have tried diagnosing the problem so much as just replacing it and getting to it later. 1 mech. for 30pcs of equipment is stretching it sometimes.

This 973 is one of the problem childs of the fleet for us. It's just hit 5000hrs which means warranty is up. The machine was shipped back to the city because of an incredibly loud whine from the HPCU unit. They couldn't get the machine to replicate the prob in our shop so they changed all the filters and fluids and shipped it to me since my unit is down for electrical glitches again. At the shop when the machine was being washed the guy in the wash bay actually managed to cut both fanbelts with the washer and they also found out the bushings for the cooling fan were shot to crap. They also found a 1/4" gap in a joint in the intake before the turbocharger, the hydrostat unit has been run dry of oil once or twice apparently, it doesn't track in a straight line and the engine has a hard time starting in cooler weather. I am simply supposed to beat on this thing so we can break it then get any warranty issues fixed up on her.

Anyone who tells you the 973C's are trouble free is on some really good drugs. I could write for hours the various problems with our 13 973C's. Each one has its own sob story. Sadly the machine I have has the longest sob story.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I havent cracked into the 21Z machine yet but will keep HEF informed on that little fiascoe :rolleyes: lol

I will check into the throttle error just next time i have a free compitent hand.

the attention today went towards the governer of the 2DS,....here is a governor gut's pic :D. nothing busted loose or missing, so i am hoping the ill reving gutless turd's problem lies in the governer, partly because its already off and partly 'cause i am tired of screwing with it lol. i am going to send the governor to the "Dean Engine Systems" group and have them bench it........fuel getting to the unit, no bubbles in or out of the unit etc. 40-69PSI fuel, on ill-rev and powerless moment (many of them) you can take a screw driver and pry back the rack lever and machine revs on up and does what its supposed to, i am thinking maybe a rack problem or a sticky governer.......but since the problem is hit or miss and thier is more moving parts in the governor that is why we started where we did.....what do you all think?

Pj

Attachments

• DSC02103.JPG
    DSC02103.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 393

Cmark

I havent cracked into the 21Z machine yet but will keep HEF informed on that little fiascoe :rolleyes: lol

I will check into the throttle error just next time i have a free compitent hand.

the attention today went towards the governer of the 2DS,....here is a governor gut's pic :D. nothing busted loose or missing, so i am hoping the ill reving gutless turd's problem lies in the governer, partly because its already off and partly 'cause i am tired of screwing with it lol. i am going to send the governor to the "Dean Engine Systems" group and have them bench it........fuel getting to the unit, no bubbles in or out of the unit etc. 40-69PSI fuel, on ill-rev and powerless moment (many of them) you can take a screw driver and pry back the rack lever and machine revs on up and does what its supposed to, i am thinking maybe a rack problem or a sticky governer.......but since the problem is hit or miss and thier is more moving parts in the governor that is why we started where we did.....what do you all think?

Pj

When the rack is fitted to the head, it is possible to install it's mounting feet wrong. Each foot has a small peg that locates in a hole in the head and if the peg isn't located properly, the rack binds and won't rotate freely. You may want to check for this.

Or it may be a governor problem as you suspect.

powerjoke

Occupation
Machine done and DONE!.

it was the governer, I made 3 adjusments.

1 (top) adjust how soon the governer can request full fuel out of the rack

2 (mid) adjust max RPM

3(bot) adjust max fuel

machine is 100% now and is well within the spec's of rpm drop and rise, etc.

all of these except the #1 is adjustable from the "welch" plug located on the side of the governer. however i would suggest taking your time and paying attention to what your doing, this machine was low on rpm it had less than 1/2 the HP it shoulda had, and would not always rev to high idle in less than 45 seconds. the governor was verry out of adjustment. and it took 1 turn on screw #1, and 2 turns on #2 and 1 1/2 on #3 so if you should chose to adjust one yourself, just take your time

Pj

Attachments

• Governer adjusters.jpg
    Governer adjusters.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 399

powerjoke

Occupation
incase someone was wondering,.....the top one is the fuel screw ;)...........oh and OUT is more fuel!

Pj

Attachments

• DSC02107.JPG
    DSC02107.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 401
  • DSC02108.JPG
    DSC02108.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 423

powerjoke

Occupation
what would a 963 thread be without a pic of a 963? lol