• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Akutan Ak. Cut and fill

Lashlander

Lashlander, you mind if I ask what the vertical distance is on that cliff you are pushing off of? Looks like a long way down!
Take care and be careful, thanks for the interesting pics!
alan627b

Its right at 90'. It wasn't to bad once I got the topsoil off and down into the rock. The topsoil is slick. Just gotta make sure you keep yourself level. Heres a couple more pictures one of the processors gave me.

Thanks for everyones comments, They are appreciated.

Last edited:
At one of the gravel mines they have a hillside like that where they push 20 hours a day (2 shifts) with a D9.

I guess you couldn't use Amex (blasting). Scrape the over burden off then take a drill rig and start drilling some holes and blasting chunks off. That ground looks like its hard enough to hold a hole without collasping. Get a row of holes and blow off a large chunk.

The way you are doing is is a little more controlable thou and probably the safer way of doing it.

Nothing like playing with fertilizer and diesel fuel thou :D

DigDug

Great pics. I thought i was brave , but i got the willys just looking at your pics. That is a cool job. Thanks for the pics. doug:drinkup

RT Engineering

Hi Lashlander,

Awesome pictures, awesome scenery, and a job that looks like it will take a little while.

A few questions, I notice the boom floating out in the water. Is this to contain the silt? Are you placing the material that is coming off the mountain into the area inside the boom? Then the buildings and docks will set on piles driven through the fill?

I also do not see any stakes. Is there survey or engineering for this project?

I would really like to work in an environment like you have there. If there was a project like yours in Southern California, there would be two inspectors or more for each machine.

RT

Lashlander

Hi Lashlander,

Awesome pictures, awesome scenery, and a job that looks like it will take a little while.

A few questions, I notice the boom floating out in the water. Is this to contain the silt? Are you placing the material that is coming off the mountain into the area inside the boom? Then the buildings and docks will set on piles driven through the fill?

I also do not see any stakes. Is there survey or engineering for this project?
RT

Thanks RT, Yes it is a silt curtain. The second phase of this job is going to be a sheetwall that will be backfilled with the material off the hill. The only stakes we have right now are the property line stakes. The new space will be used as a container yard.

Lashlander

lashlander,does you hitachi 225uslc work on this project?Thanks for sharing the pictures,very beautiful!!!:eek:

That Hitachi was another companies that just came though our yard. It went on lease to the state dot and they have been walking it down the highway cleaning ditches with it all summer.

The drill and two containers of powder were delivered to Akutan today so we fly out in the morning to go back at it. Probably be out there around six weeks. I'll try to check in once in a while but don't know. You guys behave yourselves!:drinkup

jmac

Lash, great photo's. Look's like everything in AK is done in a big way! Congrats on living in one of the best places on earth and having a great job to go along with it. :drinkup

Lashlander

Well after living in this bunkhouse for six weeks I came home the other night and had internet in my room. Don't know why or for how long but here are a few pics. We ended up stripping nearly 60,000 yards of overburden. Had a tough time to get rid of it. A little wave action helped us out though.

Last edited:

nedly05

I want to be just like Lash when I grow up:p Up here if you got caught putting dirt in the water you'd be in big trouble mister!!! GREAT PICS!

Lashlander

Heres a few of the drilling and the first shot. We craned the powder up then had to cary it the rest of the way. The processor had the dock crew help us out.:thumbsup The conex box in the middle of the job has a huge transformer in it so can't be moved. Some of the rocks are a little large for this reason.:Banghead I took a video of each shot but don't know how to get them on yet. I'll have to wait til I get home and have my 14 year old help me.

Last edited: