• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Akutan Ak. Cut and fill

Lashlander

got any more pics of those two smaller dozers

These were owned by the processor. A D7G and a JD550. The seven is fairly tired, we didn't use it much. We only used the 550 to pull the air compressor around. It was pretty worthless in the mud with street pads.

Last edited:

Lashlander

The shots

Lets see if I've got this figured out!
The first shot doesn't go until 1:04 into it. I didn't have a radio so wasn't sure when it was going to go. I got a kick out of the bird that got shot out. I thought it was going to hit the dozer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6pp3ajBynM

This shot placed some material in the water and created a pretty good wave that came down the beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7AehYmTvA4

This shot we had some fly rock. I was tucked up under the overhang on our screenall and a rock hit directly above my head. You can see the camera jerk when it hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olNIUlpqNk

Last edited:

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Great videos! Nothing like blowing stuff up.

DPete

I just found this thread, glad I did. Thanks for the pics and narration Lashlander, If it settles for a couple of years how long until they can build on it? Outstanding job :thumbsup :thumbsup

Last edited:

greywynd

I think early on in the thread I recall you saying there was some this year, and more next year, that still the same? Heading back in the spring then?

Lashlander

If it settles for a couple of years how long until they can build on it? :thumbsup :thumbsup

Most deep fills I've done they build on it the third year. You can accelerate that considerably by using a vibratory probe, which is just an H beam usually on a vibratory pile driver. You drive it down to the depth of the fill on a pattern. Usually 5' centers, It is amazing how hard that will settle things.

I think early on in the thread I recall you saying there was some this year, and more next year, that still the same? Heading back in the spring then?

The plan is to go back in April I think and work on the sheetwall. The wall is around 1200'. The season didn't go to well for anyone this year and closed Nov. 1st with 28 million # of pollack uncaught. With the price of steel and fuel I think they were talking about doing half in 08 and finishing in 09. They will have to decide after the first of the year.

Lashlander

By the way Lash it is 1/4 to 8, why aren't you out working? or is the tide to high :D

Yaa I know I'm slackin. After working 3 months 12 to 14 hour days with no days off I'm working 8s for a couple weeks. Don't panic going to 6 10s Monday!

jughead

Occupation
retired
Akutan

always thought i would like to be an operator. after looking at these pics guess there was never a time in my 70 plus years that i would have had what it takes. got a BIG yellow streak up my back. love the pics though keep them coming.:notworthy

pushkid84

Wow!!!

that has to be one of the coolest jobs i have ever seen! what type of shifts are you guys working? does your company have a web site? way cool man!!:scool

Lashlander

We were starting at 6:30 am. Half hour break for lunch and another for supper then usually quit at 8:00 pm. Now and then we would run until 9 or 10. No days off.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Working up here is so much fun why would anyone want a day off?

Besides look around what else is there to do? Take pictures?

Lashlander

I don't know, A guy needs to go fishing now and then. However when were out of town on these jobs thats about all there is to do. Lots of overtime makes it worth it!

nedly05

I don't know, A guy needs to go fishing now and then. However when were out of town on these jobs thats about all there is to do. Lots of overtime makes it worth it!

You never get time to spend those checks, so you should end up with a big wad of money...unless you send the checks home in which case they will probably get spent...

With working so many hours and so many days in a row does the crew ever get burnt out? Will you do this until the job is done, or shut down at some point during the winter?

Lashlander

You never get time to spend those checks, so you should end up with a big wad of money...unless you send the checks home in which case they will probably get spent...

With working so many hours and so many days in a row does the crew ever get burnt out? Will you do this until the job is done, or shut down at some point during the winter?

Don't you worry, my wife strolls into the office every Friday and picks up my check.:D A few years ago we were on a job in Sandpoint. We'd been there for three and a half months working 12 hour days and no days off. One of the guys went down and cashed a $100.00 check at the store so he could buy his girl friend and her son a souvenir when we went home. A couple days later the store owner showed up on the job. His check bounced. His girlfriend had a new man with a little habit is seems.

Not very often do we get burnt out. It does happen though. We were on a dock job for a month one time. It was in February and was around ten below zero everyday. There was a constant 40 MPH wind day in and day out. Add that to only about 5 hours of day light. The water line froze to the house we were living in so we never had running water. The cook was also horrible. I finally shut the job down and chartered a plane home. Took a week, fired the cook, got a plumber to fix the water, went back to work. The weather warmed up a little and everyone was happy again.
The job is done in Akutan for this year, Were currently working on a dock extension here in town. We don't shut down for winter.

nedly05

The job is done in Akutan for this year, Were currently working on a dock extension here in town. We don't shut down for winter.

You are a lot tougher than we are, we are more or less shut down with digging, it is snowing so hard right now you can barely see outside, the weatherman says up to 2 feet. We plow close to 50 places when all of the "second home people" are here, and they are all here for the holidays. It just seems to be such a pain to do excavating in the winter, we do some when needed, but mainly just worry about plowing and do repairs and some logging.

At least you are working in town around the holidays, 12 hrs a day isnt bad when you can see your family and sleep in your own bed!