• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A BIG Green Thingummy.

bigpete

Occupation
Dozer operator
Thingy

Yeah Mike, That one (TC12) of "DOWNER CONSTRUCTION"s on the road job at Cambridge in 65-66 was the only working one i have anything to do with or even seen on a job down this way. There were plenty of C6s arround in that era. The TC12 was easily outperformed by both TD25s and D8Hs on both ripping& pushing and wasnt in the race in breaking out on steep hard country. I would have been embarased working a TC12 longside a D9.
CHEERS:drinkup

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Big green thingummy

According to a book about Clyde Engineering in NZ who were the Euclid agents at the time there were 6x TC 12s sold in NZ and were some of the first sold outside of the USA. I do remember Feast & McJorrow from Wellington had 1 as did **** Collis from Southland.

Deas Plant

Big Green Thingummys sold in Australia.

Hi, RDG.
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know about numbers sold in NZ but I have been told by a man who has green blood in his veins and even, I suspect, green tinea between his toes (LOL), that there were 6 of them sold new in Australia. I know of at least one more that came to Australia earlier this year to become part of a collection up near Rockhampton, in Central Queensland.

Cat-Peter

Occupation
excavator operator
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet sound

Really love them green machines!
Would love to hear the howl of Detroit on full revs!
Can't get enough of it,sadly they are very rare here!
Gives me goosebumps just thinking of it!:D

Peter

DaveC

I find the TC-12 a fascinating machine! Just one question that always bugs me, but never had an answer....what happens to the operational performance of the machine when one of the Jimmy 6-71N`s is down on power compared to its partner? How much deviation is allowed on full power of both units before the machine fails to perform properly? I always imagine when you have two of the same mated together, you get double the chance of things going wrong. I know where one is located here in the UK which is in retirement. It has a massive coal pusher blade on it. Hopefully, I will get to see it this year.

Cheers, ;)

Dave:

Deas Plant

Euclid TC12 - Terex 82-80 - One engine down on power.

Hi, DaveC.
I have never run either of these jiggers but I understand that both have separate throttles for each engine. In the event that one engine was a bit 'soft', I imagine that you be able to operate with the other engine throttled back to match.

I also understand that throttling one engine up and the other down was ONE of about four ways of steering the beasts. Steering clutches and brakes, one track in high and one in low or one in forward and one in reverse are the other ways, unless some people have been pulling my leg. Can anyone confirm or deny this, please.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Okay, all you TC-12 fans--here's what one looks like when it's all put together. It was at the HCEA show in Brownsville PA today (discussed elsewhere on HEF). I thought I'd put the TC-12 pics here though. I honestly have to say, of all the iron I saw at the show, I liked this one best. :)

Attachments

• P8090201.jpg
    P8090201.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,733
  • P8090214.jpg
    P8090214.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,745
  • P8090215.jpg
    P8090215.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,720
  • P8090216.jpg
    P8090216.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,735
  • P8090213.jpg
    P8090213.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,719

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
I just wish cat and komatsu would notice the nice offset seat to the left of the machine. And how the fella can actually see and watch the blade. Never run one but it looks like a nice machine to blade with if it had hydraulics.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I don't know how much of a restoration was done on it. For all I know that might be in original condition. (I doubt tthat of course, but it sure looks like it could be.)

As far as the seat being offset, I also don't know whether it carries through to the actual operator's station, but the two halves of the machine clearly pivot up and down along it's centerline. You can see it in the second pic--the left and right sides of the back end aren't lined up, and the drawbar is mounted to only the one side. It really looks like it could have been two machines, joined at the hip...

Last edited:

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
good golly, so ugly it's pretty. i want one for mowing pasture.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Euclid TC12 dozer.

Hi, Digger 242j.
I have so far not been that close to one working.

And that's probably why you can still hear the little bit you can still hear...

And I know some of that is " selective ".........:lmao

And yes... I was close up and personal with a C6/8230... 6-71... for a couple
thousand hours... used both ear plugs and muffs.
I thought it was a decent dozer... just a tad to big and front heavy for us.
It had a full U on the front and a winch on back... wouldn't back up hill very
good.

Regards,

OCR

He probably can't see this either... so... ha,ha,ha...on that crack about his hearing.

Deas Plant

My Hearing.

Hi, OCR.
My hearing loss is due to long association with many types of earthmoving machinery, including an 82-30 AND an 82-40 - and a D9G in a tunnel 16 feet wide that started out at 16 feet deep and ended at 24 feet deep. You just can't get away from the noise in there.

I liked both the 82-30 and the 82-40 with the latter being the better balanced. Both were pretty reliable too.

Just my 0.02.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Your Hearing... My Vision:

Yup, know exactly what you're saying Deas,

And I couldn't pass my CDL medical, last week, with out getting glasses...:(

Take care,

OCR

Oh... what engine did the 82-40 have... 8v-71??

Deas Plant

82-40 'donk'

Hi, OCR.
Yep, a screaming 'Jimmy' V8-71 - and it could work too. Trouble was, everybody for miles around knew it if you pulled up for a pitstop, if you get my drift.

I can still read plans, etc., in good light without glasses and there's no notation on my driver's license. Maybe there oughta be but not necessarily for glasses. I seem to have a problem where no matter what boots I buy, the right one always weighs more than the left. LOL. (We may drive on the RIGHT side of the vehicle but the various pedals are still under the same feet.)

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I definitely heard why the operator had earmuffs on...but that beast was quite a machine to see. Pics tomorrow, my computer doesn't want to upload anything today.

:bash

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Wow awesome pics. Even if they weren't the greatest, you still have to appreciate those. They sure weren't copy cats, that's for sure. Well I guess this would be a good time to post these pics. I was working at David Bell Mine up near Marathon, Ontario a few years back. Came out of my motel room and there it was on a float. It was coming from British Columbia, but I can't remember where it was going. It was going to be used though, the float driver told me, and it ran and was driven onto the float. I do remember he said it was very heavy even without the blade and ripper.:notworthy:notworthy

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,628

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
more pics

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,644