• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955 Bucket Repair

Delmer

From that last picture you can tell there was a whole lot of nuthin holding that together.

I'd take the torch to some of that excess of weld, and cut a line out to the end of that crack. Grind back the cuts on the big sections so you can get penetration to most of the joint and clean up the slop from the cut. Heat it with a weed burner, lift the front of the tracks off the ground with a wood block under the edge on that side. Hit it with a sledge, alternated with heat until it's back into position.

If the weight of the machine isn't enough, try putting blocks under the rear end, then lifting to put more weight on the bucket. If that still doesn't work, weld an I beam into the bucket for more bending leverage.

This is as good a place to learn to weld as any. Do the root with 6010/6011 turned up hot enough to get good penetration, then 7018 or finish it with 60xx. Taking the shank off will make it much easier, just two new bolts. You don't need to do this perfect, just good enough to outlast the rest of the bucket, which looks like it will eventually succumb to rust if you don't bust the other side like DMiller mentioned.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can use the shank bolt holes for a chain fall attachment while still using the machine weight to pull that edge back up then hold it in position to get it welded.

Delmer

Yep, a ratchet type chain binder works good too. Weight of the machine + chain binder pulling it back together.

AllDodge

Plan to use the chain binder to keep it close once we get it close.

Anyone know which rosebud tip will fit a victor WH411C handle. Have downloaded the tips from victor and it gives several tips but have not seen which one works for which. Also maybe what whould be a good choice for what I'm trying to do?

Or maybe can I just get a tip to replace my cutting tip?

Metalman 55

Plan to use the chain binder to keep it close once we get it close.

Anyone know which rosebud tip will fit a victor WH411C handle. Have downloaded the tips from victor and it gives several tips but have not seen which one works for which. Also maybe what whould be a good choice for what I'm trying to do?

Or maybe can I just get a tip to replace my cutting tip?

We find for thicker heating jobs that propane works much better than oxy-accet. The oxy-accet tends to backfire when it gets heating up & burns back inside the tip. Coincidently I checked into a propane heating setup about a month ago for a work associate & have some part numbers if interested & prices in CDN dollars. Pricy, but if you have serious heating to do, this will do it!

Attachments

• Rosebud.jpeg
    Rosebud.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Rosebud1.jpg
    Rosebud1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 45

AllDodge

If propane works better I'm all for it, only issue is buying the stuff for a one time thing. I have 2 full 100 pound propane tanks so supply shouldn't be an issue. Will look into your part numbers.

AllDodge

Just looked up the part numbers, and I have the Praxair handle, only issue is it started to leak on the acetylene side so I bought the victor setup. Can find the regulator for $80 USD, and tip for $151. Have 25 ft of new hose, but still $200 for heat

Metalman 55

Just looked up the part numbers, and I have the Praxair handle, only issue is it started to leak on the acetylene side so I bought the victor setup. Can find the regulator for $80 USD, and tip for $151. Have 25 ft of new hose, but still $200 for heat

If you were to obtain all of the parts on my list posted above, then the twin hose on the oxy side should just hook up to the output on your Victor regulator, as all outputs on the regulars are the same as far as I know.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
IMG_0501.JPG IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0504.JPG IMG_0505.JPG It looks to me like the edge is bent and twisted about 1+ inches. I think a new edge is the way to go ,what you pay for the edge you will save in per/hr cost trying to straighten it
Here are photos of a similar but smaller job I did for a guy that didn't want to buy a new edge.

AllDodge

So your saying all I need is the tip because it will connect to my victor. Also the regulators I have (Ox/Axe) will connect to the propane cylinder?

Think (not sure) the new edge would cost $600 at least, then need to cut off and replace all the bolts/nuts holding the teeth, then remove and replace the edge. Think I would be looking around 2K when done.

Metalman 55

No, you would need everything on my list that I sent earlier, except you could hook the twin hose (Propane/oxy) on the oxy side to your oxygen regular. You still need the propane regulator.

Delmer

I don't think the heat is needed if you don't have the torch handy. Cut a line through the bent area and use the sledge to bend it back once you have the cutting edges straight and welded.

If you have three chain binders and and chains, plus a big piece of angle or channel to go over the top of the bucket to keep the top from bending down, then you should be able to pull that back without heat.

Edit: I thought propane and acetylene had the same threads, worth a look to see.

Welder Dave

If you are getting backfiring and flashbacks with an acetylene rosebud, the number one cause is not enough acetylene and to a lesser extent oxygen pressure and then throttling the torch valves back. A large acetylene rosebud needs a big cylinder or 2 hooked together and the regulator needs to be set at 14-15 PSI. Backfiring and flashbacks are caused by the head of the rosebud getting too hot. It can happen from holding it too close but most people don't bother to turn the acetylene and oxygen pressures up and then don't open the torch valves enough. You don't want any carbon in the acetylene flame when using a rosebud. Acetylene at 15 and oxygen at 40 to 50 is good range. The higher oxygen pressure helps to cool the tip. A WH411C handle accepts Victor heavy duty heating tips. MFA series for acetylene or MFN series for propane. If you have a propane cylinder, all you need is the rosebud. Everything else will work for acetylene or propane. Grade T hose is best for propane if you don't have it but for the odd job grade R will work.

$250 sounds more reasonable and a with a new edge $800 is more reasonable. Bolts aren't that expensive.

AllDodge

quote=]No, you would need everything on my list that I sent earlier, except you could hook the twin hose (Propane/oxy) on the oxy side to your oxygen regular. You still need the propane regulator.[/quote]
I need everything on the list

MFA series for acetylene or MFN series for propane. If you have a propane cylinder, all you need is the rosebud. Everything else will work for acetylene or propane. Grade T hose is best for propane if you don't have it but for the odd job grade R will work.
I can use what I have just need a MFN for propane or MFA for acetylene rosebud tip

Now I'm really confused.

Did notice in my research that it would take a lot of acetylene to use a rosebud. Would be nice to be able to use propane since it cost less and as before I have two 100 lb tanks.

Welder Dave

Connection for most acetylene cylinders is the same as propane, CGA510 fuel gas. Propane runs higher pressure than acetylene and isn't nearly as critical as acetylene. There are some regulators specifically for propane but 98% of acetylene regs will work with propane no problem. Just need the propane rosebud. Same if you want to use propane for cutting, just put propane tips in.

AllDodge

That helps and could save me some coin for a one time use. I assume oxygen is also used with propane, and don't know what type of hose I have. Just using the ones that came with the first torch. Also have a new 25 foot set which came with the new victor

hetkind

5479A354-A734-408A-9C33-20A9D1F45216.JPG 50D17462-9CC0-4788-8D8F-8C4824BC2048.JPG Here is a photo of my oxy-propane rig, the acetylene regulator will work for propane, but I invested in a propane specific regulator and propane rated hose. Then I ordered a MFM 8 and MFM 10 rosebud tips for my Victor Journeyman series handle. It will be in use this weekend on getting the clam straight after broken pins in the bottom cylinder mounts. Note custom welding cart.

AllDodge

I like it

Checked my hose and both say acetylene only, 200 psig ARPMIP-7 and Grade R and RM

Welder Dave

They recommend grade T hose for propane because over time propane can break down grade R hose. That being said, grade T hose is relatively new and propane has been around a long time. If you're going to do a lot with propane, get some grade T hose. If you just want to use propane for the rosebud to fix your bucket, the grade R will be fine.