• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

855D finally found one, what's it worth?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Similar Cat, 931/941, Deere 555G or step up to 605 for rear engine(is a Liebherr) Then there are Liebherr, and of course Case. I would seriously look around, find a decent median sized crawler for loader work, if need a hoe buy a hoe as these do not do all that well being heavy, awkward and the hoes are an after thought mainly for open country work. Would need as noted counterweight without it or with it rear undercarriage receives considerable added force and trauma from daily use. This unit basically needs rails, he has a engine sitting there for a reason that will need be swapped along with the inconsequential hoses, fluids, incorrect for app changed parts and gaskets, then you would need to check all the hydraulic lines/hoses all those pieces needed removed to just get at the engine. I could rationally see $18,000 WITH the hoe but no more as you will end up spending at least half that again getting it fully up to speed.

DrewSteele

oh sorry maybe I wasnt clear - the new engine is in as well as all the other rebuilt parts that the previous poster mentioned - hydraulic pump, radiator, muffler - etc - it started right up cold and sounded nice. he's replacing the leaky hose on the hoe today. As far as getting 2 machines - not in the budget - im an owner builder just trying to pull a ton a of dirt out of a hillside and get around on some fairly steep trails to dig some long drains so need the power of something like a deere 310G (the biggest wheeled loader/hoe that ive driven but needs to climb better..Does any of that change the points you made above?

thx again DMiller - for the info - appreciate it.

Welder Dave

The hoe being an extendahoe was likely a 20K option when new. Hoses can need replacing on any used machine. I think it all comes down to if you are willing to put more money into a machine if it needs undercarriage but everything else is in good operating condition. As far as taking the hoe off and maybe needing counterweight, counterweights were often standard equipment on loaders but the machine may be fine without counterweight. Just need to use common sense with heavy wet material or on slopes. The hoe is basically the same hoe as on a 580 and is very useful for a lot of jobs. Another option might be a mid size excavator with a blade. After trying the machine out, you could always make a low ball offer 20-22K and see what the seller says. The worst he can do is say no but then he could sit on the machine forever too. You can get in softer ground than a rubber tired machine but if it's too soft you can get stuck pretty good too with the hoe on the back. Most times I got stuck, I could pull myself out with the hoe but not every time. I wish I had an extendahoe. Hoes on crawlers weren't uncommon. Every major manufacturer had them.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can agree with Dave here. The offer extended would be the key if he would accept a low ball and sell it as it needs UC. The machine may perform just as you expect but may eat a little as you go and use it as does any old iron. Tracks do not necessarily make a easier slope use machine or a defined won't get stuck machine as so many friends have found, get one of these hung in the much it takes a larger machine in most cases to retrieve them and working up slopes is as hard or harder than with a rubber tire machine as tracks make low ground pressure. Sorry I missed on the engine, that is a large expense so long as he installed it correctly and did not cut corners when replaced as re-using expendable consumable items.