• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

855D finally found one, what's it worth?

Lowvolt

image.jpg

It has a 6T-590. Machine has rebuilt motor, new hydraulic pump, alternator, radiator, transmission cooler, muffler etc. 50% undercarriage, will need pins turned and new sprockets in the near future.

6600 hours.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I offered 30k for it but now I'm not so sure it's worth that. Maybe Viking1 has some insight? Still can't figure out what year it is, any help?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 456

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Don't know that I would have offered thirty, shoes are pretty well slick, sprockets look well worn while the paint job overhaul seems to still be fresh. I would have first measured out the rails, raised it and checked lower rollers for slop/frozen/flat spots and normal wear, and worked the machine for no less than an hour to get heat up on all systems to check for leaks, sluggishness, worn areas. MP on the front has little wear, hoe bucket seems same so may not have seen heavy use. New muffler but no stack?

Researched builds, only built from '84 to '91.

Last edited:

Lowvolt

Don't know that I would have offered thirty, shoes are pretty well slick, sprockets look well worn while the paint job overhaul seems to still be fresh. I would have first measured out the rails, raised it and checked lower rollers for slop/frozen/flat spots and normal wear, and worked the machine for no less than an hour to get heat up on all systems to check for leaks, sluggishness, worn areas. MP on the front has little wear, hoe bucket seems same so may not have seen heavy use. New muffler but no stack?

Researched builds, only built from '84 to '91.

Should I drop it down to 25k? Does that sound reasonable? I haven't operated it or even heard it run... They're just so rare I am buying it sight unseen. Any other comparable vehicles still made that could do the same tasks an 855d with backhoe could? What does it look like money wise if I had to replace sprockets and shoes, turn new pins?

Thanks for all your help and advice!

JimInOz

I operated a new D model in 1986. I think it cost $80K ($AUD) new back then.
Was a good machine,good on fuel & quick on it's feet.
For some reason,the boom was twisted from new & the cutting edge was an inch out.Fine grading was difficult.
I always liked the shape & workability of the Case 4in1 buckets.

I'd be working that machine for half an hour.If the trans is shot,it will be thousands to fix.
The Case crawlers were popular with owner-operators here.But like all 30 YO gear,it will need attention somewhere.

I was never a fan of carrying a backhoe around on a crawler.It's gonna be hard on the tractor.

Dickjr.

Generally speaking , they don't turn the pins and bushings on the smaller tractors as its about as cost effective to run them to destruction. I can see the benefits of having the backhoe attachment , but as far as using it as a crawler loader it sure would be a hindrance. I know where a supposedly good 855 is guys is asking 18500. My opinion its worth that up to real low 20s. To fix the u/c your looking at 6 to 7 grand plus labor. It is a nice looking unit , bucket looks tight as well.

51kw

As worn as the sprockets look and as low as the rock guards look. With the idlers not adjusted out very far I would bet it has been short tracked.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Went on Machinery Trader, similar units without hoe are running in the $14-18,000 range. I could see adding $5k for the hoe total $23000 for a good machine but it still needs shoes minimum. While on MT, the rails on almost all there when can see the pins are SALT rail, could be they have not stretched out yet.

brianbulldozer

For comparison, I checked the Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers site for auction results. They have sold five since 2014. Prices were: $4500, $6000, $7000, $8000, and $15,000. All were bare back machines except the $15k machine, which was State of Texas surplus with rippers, A/C, MP bucket and 2232 hours. Don't know the value of the backhoe attachment. Possibly all these auction machines were junky compared to this one so these prices may not mean much. Still, $25k or $30k seems like plenty.

Welder Dave

The paint job is a couple grand or more but more importantly is it covering something up? You can't compare to an auction price in my opinion. If the undercarriage is in fact 50%, I think 20-25K is about the right range if you can use it. Why did it need everything rebuilt? The hoe likely comes off in 5 minutes but the machine will be a little light in back in heavy material because of no counterweight. The hoe is a very useful tool to have. I have Cat 931B with a similar set up. It's not the fastest machine but can do a lot of different jobs. The hoe on that one is nice because it folds up closer to the machine and the bucket has a lot of ground clearance. Can you get some more close up pics? Have someone experienced go with you to try it out and inspect it.

jaluhn

Now that I look at it I think you're right. :eek:

Saw the op's location as being Michigan and figured it must be different, but the pictures match, so.... whoops.

Tags

Could be the path to a financial disaster. You really need to see it and run it before buying it.

A plane ticket is ALOT cheaper than a final drive, transmission, or engine. That would do a lot for your peace of mind too. Remember, "paint makes it what it ain't" and pics ALWAYS look better than seeing it in person....

DrewSteele

Should I drop it down to 25k? Does that sound reasonable? I haven't operated it or even heard it run... They're just so rare I am buying it sight unseen. Any other comparable vehicles still made that could do the same tasks an 855d with backhoe could? What does it look like money wise if I had to replace sprockets and shoes, turn new pins?

Thanks for all your help and advice!

Hi Lowvolt - I went and looked at this machine last weekend. He's about 20 minutes from me. his most current ad has his asking price at 26k - sounds like you may have lost interest? Did you ever offer 25? did you end up with something different?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In no way worth $26 nor 25. Is a thirty year old machine and a Case as well EVEN with a hoe attachment maybe, MIGHT be worth closer to $18,000. That would be with decent rails, sprockets etc. It needs pins and bushing turn then it more than likely needs roller work with the sprockets and idler repairs or at minimum bearings. Do not let emotion take control and tell you it is worth it if not. A newer Deere 555G will do as well and as much for the same $$ with a 4/1 bucket.

As far as the owner calling the pads 'Street Shoes' he may just be referring to well worn shoes in a incorrect terminology to get it to sell. These are not street shoes, they are just worn slick, on my own worn slick Allis:
IMG_1803a.jpg

Last edited:

DrewSteele

DMiller - ya Im eager to get my job underway so thanks for the sanity check. It does seem pricey. 2 things I also need to account for - availability and hauling. He said he'd get it to me for free - im only 20-30 min from him. Im also not seeing alot of these around with the extendahoe - I'm cruising the web trying to find similar machines for sale - What other manufacturers/models are in the same class that I can search for listings for - ive got a couple 555G's that are 15k and 21k that look in simlar condition -

and btw- thx for the heads up on the street shoes ; )