• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

660/666 Cat Scraper info

Hi , I search photo in color of scrapers Caterpillar 657 31G series (1962/1968) or 651 33G series (1962/1968); not the model serie B.
Thank you .

657 (31g) 651 (33g) 1962/1968

Since this is a 660/666 thread I'll start a new one on these old beast.

Dug

Sorry my English is bad, the 660 and 666 are not replace since 1977 and the 4 wheel motor scraper yes ,and the discomfort of the vintage big 600 (not cushion hitch) is a big handicap for working today thus this model are rare now.But I hope to find person on this site have photo of this models ,vintage or recent (machine in the parc of the vintage contractor )

Bruno

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I was told by people that ran them that the 6 wheelers actually rode betterthan cushion hitch machines...but that they were harder to manouver, especially in mud.
See one now, before they are gone...
alan627b

rumbles

Your right there, the later ones especially, with cush-hitch just floated along. The big tyres and good weight were probably a lot to do with it too.
I have been told that there was the option of rams in the goose-neck area that could take the weight totally off the front tyres to give more traction in sticky conditions. I imagine you would hold it in a straight line with the diff lock.
Have a good one....John.

Rusted

rumbles that's true, I remember the 630B's of Thiess's had those rams....used to have a good pic of 2 parked nose to nose with the front wheels jacked right up off the ground, sadly it got lost with many others years ago.

651 657 a

Hi ,thank you Jerry, I don't know this page on the website! But I know this photo , I look every month the machinerytrader site.

Bruno

Gavin84w

Rusted, where my dad used to work there were 3 ex Thiess 630B parked in the back yard at Villawood for many years and they got them going and painted them up and they ended up at a tip in Blacktown, who knows where now!

JSD

Your right there, the later ones especially, with cush-hitch just floated along. The big tyres and good weight were probably a lot to do with it too.
I have been told that there was the option of rams in the goose-neck area that could take the weight totally off the front tyres to give more traction in sticky conditions. I imagine you would hold it in a straight line with the diff lock.
Have a good one....John.

It was just two simple rams from the tractor to the hitch. Ran one a few times. I ran one that they attached an accumulator to the rams to work as a cushin type hitch to help settle down some of the bucking a 660 would do once in a while.

stuart olson

it lives at the showgrounds in a shed with other mochines that make it look new. the only things i know about it for sure is that it is "crippled" if i member correctly the rear power pack is not operable but the tractor runs good enough that once a year at show time it is fired up driven outside parked where people can bask in its massiveness and at the end of the show it is buieried back in the shed till next year. and when i say beuired i mean buieried you coluld put four 666 scrapers in this pole barn comfy like and they got that place packed tight enough that you cant touche the floor anywhere iniside. the other thing i noticed is that it has fiberglass fenders and no ROPS or cab of any description

green lizzard

Gavin84w ,David Foster who owned Hunter Valley Earthmoving still has three 666b scrapers at his yard at Rixs creek coal mine.He is trying to develope a coal mine at Blandford near Scone so he may plan to crank them up there,regards Green Lizzard

ConstSite

Occupation
Construction
Thanks a ton Stuart! I did not know about the 666 down there. I just added the show date to the calendar and will not miss it this year!

I had known of the Mathiowetz units, but I guess now I will have to make a trip down when the weather gets a bit better.

- Chris

JD in Reseda

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Pretty funny seeing some of these photos of me on these 660's. Ill see what I can do to get more posted on here in the next few weeks.