• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

660/666 Cat Scraper info

cherrokee

I was at Berrima when we recieved 5 Stretch 660s from Queensland they joined a fleet of 6-651Bs and Leighton 4-651Es,When we finished Berrima they followed me to Dora Creek freeway With the 651s and we hired in 4 Hunter Valleys 666s,they had the rear engines removed, They were in a tv movie/doc (mateship) some nice shots were taken,yo Fish,Speedy,Twiggy,Fagin and co

cherrokee

The 660s followed me from Dora Creek on to Condo Gold mine for the first stripping stage after that lost touch with them, They were a Great piece of gear,Problems with the manufacture of the rear tires a special order had to be placed for 10 purchased at time as they were one off production run

Deas Plant

History?

Hi, Cherokkee.
It's been a while since I heard of you and you probably don't remember me 'cos I wasn't part of the 'A'-team at Dora Creek. I was on a crane on bridge construction. I did hear of a draught frame coming apart on one of those 660's at fairly high speed one day. Do you know anything about that?

Two of the five 660's are still working in and around Brisbane, pretty much on a daily basis. Two more are still in working order, although I don't know their exact whereabouts. I do know though, that the current owner of the first two has access to them if he needs them. The fifth was scrapped and cannabalised some years ago.

I worked with them on a water storage job at Hervey Bay in 1996/97 and a land fill final cover job at Rochedale in Brisbane in 1997-98. The same owner still has the first two I mentioned, as well as two of Hunter Valley's converted 666's.

cherrokee

Giday Des yeah i remember that day well when it let go must travelling at about 40mph threw the load over the tractor, and twisted the bowel,Shorty and Kenny Collerton a their work cut out?

Deas Plant

It just 'buffed right out'.

Hi, Cherokkee.
Oh? The story I heard was that it 'buffed right out'. LOL. I didn't see it 'cos I was working down behind Morrisset at the time but the whole job heard about it.

The same guy who owns the 2 I do know the whereabouts of roaded 2 of the 5 from Rockhampton to Gladstone on a 'quiet' (??????) Sunday morning drive back in about 1997.

They had to be there for a Monday morning start and he couldn't get floats so he and one of his operators set off with 2 of them about daylight on Sunday morning, straight down the highway. About halfway to Gladstone, they thought the 'publicity' on the CB was getting a bit much so they took to the back tracks for the rest of the trip and did it in about 2 hours, roughly 110 'klicks'. They reckon the truckies were extremely excited about these 'wide loads' heading down the highway without floats under them and going almost as quick as the trucks themselves.

Wotchyer doing over in Indonesia, if that's not a rude question?

Catchyalater.

cherrokee

Des
What caused it was that the Trungen pin flogged out where the bowel hooks onto the draft arms and was coming down the big cut at Freemans when the right side the bowel dug in, lucky Eddie Peake wasn,t sitting on it?
i came over to Indonesia in 04 and ran the site preparation works at west Papua with leighton for the JV, Halliburtion,JVC.No scrapers,had 7 cat 385s 40 Cat 740s and 20 dozers D9-D6, and timber felling equipment, Very wet site.Was in Belize and Bakun coffer dam, Malaysia and prior 20 to that 20 months on the Beef Island runnway extension, BVI,Was 8 years on the Ertan dam project in China with Hochtief with a few secondments to the 3 gorges dam.

Just finished a 20 month stint in India with Leighton at Indore and Agra toll roads, having a few months break at the moment.

All the Best

Deas Plant

Been around.

Hi, Cherokkee.
Sounds like you've been around a bit since Dora Creek. I've done all my work here in Australia since then, most of it Qld, since I moved up to Hervey Bay in 1993 and then here to the Gold Coast in 1999.

The first time I worked with the 660's, at Hervey Bay in 1996-7, I had a pretty fair grader for looking after their haul roads, fill and whatever else. It was an O&K G350, 42 tons, 380 horsepower, a 20-foot blade and 4 almost D7-size ripper shanks across the back. That jigger would push-load a 660 better than the 270 hp D8H that was there. It was one of only 34 made but what a beast for that sort of work.

I have had 2 trips to California in the last 8 months for a vintage machinery show and to catch up with a heap of 'net acquaintances from the vintage machinery forums, including a few from this one. Both trips have been brilliant and the next scheduled one is for a show at Santa Margarita on the West Coast in June, 2010.

Catchyalater. Happy holidays.

rumbles

G,day....isn't it strange the way names pop up, last worked with Eddie Peake about 80/81. Cherrokee, did you run into Hughie Markham up your way (Indo)? Last saw him a few years back up the Sunshine Coast.
Have a good one....John.

Gavin84w

One good thing about this game, everybody seems to know someone who knows someone.

I worked with Fish in 91/92 at Thompsons creek dam with Leighton, then with Speedy in 02 at Mt Arthur with Roche and i see **** maybe once a month now all over the place with Abi,s, infact Speedy was at there Karuah job last year i think.

Always good stories and a laugh to be had.

Imagine trying to do a film like the A team today, unreal to see a 660 full pelt towards a spotter like a bull to a matador!

Deas Plant

Today????????????????????????

Hi, Gavin84W.
Imagine trying to do a LOT of things today that were commonplace 20, 30, 40 years ago. Imagine the paperwork that would be needed for Cherokkee's broken draft frame incident if it happened today. Back then they just got into it and fixed it. Well, almost.

For the FIRST time in my working life of 49 years, I am on a job where I am REQUIRED to wear long trousers and long-sleeved shirts. I'd say at a rough guess that this rule was dreamed up by some shiny-butted college-(de)educated nitwit who has never had to climb up onto a machine while wearing long trousers on a hot day. To get the FULL 'benefit' of this experience, you do need LEGS that look as if they were made to hold a whole man up rather than just a canary. The restriction of movement is VERY noticeable and the hotter and sweatier you are, the more noticeable it becomes.

I can't help the feeling that some lawyers might have had something to do with the above too. One of the worst mistakes that any Australian governemnt has ever made was allowing lawyers and solicitors to advertise and to chase ambulances. That has taken most of the fun out of the operating game in particular and construction in general.

Just my 0.02.

Cmark

Hey Deas.

If you've got the fashion police on your case, I'm guessing you've landed some work on a government funded job? That can only be good news the way things are at the moment...

cherrokee

Hughie Markham

Rumbles

Havn't caught up with Hughie for a while, funny when i was in India i ran into Bill Wild, he was visiting the Agra project and we were out for lunch and we got to reminscing the old days pushing the 660s' with Big Eddie and co at Torong/Dora Creek,We both started together at Ross River Dam in the early 70s with Tom Gardnier We both have the opinion that they were and the best tools for a big earthworks project with a 1klm or better hual and dry conditions, nothing could beat their productivity. I remember Gary Purtel tried to run for a while in wet conditions and gave up? Had them parked 3 months on the project

rumbles

I don't know about muddy conditions, but they could be fun when the haulroads were a bit wet. There was a flat stick left hander just before going onto the ash dam at Tarong, many a time I can remember looking to my right and seeing my trailer sitting about 60/70 degrees to the tractor ( of course now that I'am 63 I'm not quiet as much a cowboy, but would love the chance to do a couple of loads on one:D)
Think Tom Gardnier (Silver Fox) was at Splityard Creek power station when I was there working in the tunnels. Just watching the news, the floods are fairly pouring over the Ross River Dam.
Catch you later....John.

Deas Plant

Fashion Police.

Hi, CMark.
Yep, it's 'G'-bucks paying for it, $A4.2 billion worth of 'em on a 3 1/2 year design and construct job. Wanna bet that won't be blown out a bit by the end of the job? And, at 3 1/2 years, if I last till the end, I think this one might see me out. Too many 'rools' and 'reggerlayshuns' now fer this little black duck.

Hi, Rumbles.
So you'd like to do a load or two on one of those jiggers again, huh? That might not be out of the question. I would not be at all surprised if the current owner of two of the five Thiess 660's showed willing to let you have a play with one for a bit. Drop me an e-mail or a private message with your phone number and I'll pass it on. The worst that can happen is he will say, "no", and he may well jump the other way. I always found him to be quite a decent bloke, if a bit of a larrikin but then who am I to talk?

Catchyalater.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hiya Deas! Get any further with your book lately?
I'm sorta happy, it's gonna get up in the 50's this weekend!
15 or so today. Brrrr.

Global warming indeed.
alan627b

Deas Plant

The book.

Hi, Alan627B.
Not much progress in that area lately - too busy gallivanting around the countryside, taking photos of old machinery, sniffing the 'backsides' of Cat 660's with a D9G blade and meeting long-time 'net acquaintances. Getting addicted to all the above too. LOL.

Glad to hear that 'global warming' might finally be coming to a town near you. LOL. Your temps are why I live where I do, M8.

Keep warm.

Shaunrh

Occupation
Heavy duty fitter

Deas Plant,
Can the 660 scrapers be viewed in action.Who would be the best person to talk to about getting permission to look at the machines that work around Brisbane.

Thanks
Shaun

Deas Plant

Watching the beasts at feeding time.

Hi, ShaunR.
I faintly suspect that where two of them work pretty regularly is subject to some level of security. Another site where they work from time to time is subject to low-level security, i.e., you need a reason and a name of a person whom you're wishing to meet in there to get in.

I don't know where the other two work, only that is in the Western area of Brisbane.

If you send me a PM, I will give you some contact details. You can then ask the people concerned yourself to see what you can arrange.

Shaunrh

Occupation
Heavy duty fitter
660 visit

Deas,
Thanks very much.As soon as I work out how to send a PM I will send you one.I think being new to the forum I have a few restrictions.

Thanks
Shaun

Gavin84w

Just click on Deas name and a drop down menu should appear and chose from there.

Also for the scraper fans check out Kenny R,s site SoCalEarthmovers as he has added some great video footage from the big hillside job at Bee Canyon Independent Construction are completing, first time i have seen double pushing and it is very impressive