• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580sm

ivi

Hello All, I am looking for information on the procedure to shim the crowd boom to the main boom. There are shims that go between the two, and one large nut that holds the pin in. the pin has a shoulder on it where the threads for the nut are. i had to replace the crowd boom due to the oem boom breaking.
580 super m series 2

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @ivi

The parts book does not show shims in that area. If the clearance between the boom ears & dipper seems excessive you could install some.

Curious though, where did your old boom break?
Did it happen in one go, or was there a crack that got worse?
Any pictures?

580SM boom - dipper pivot.png

ivi

i ordered a couple of number 19 or 20 from the case dealer in my area. they designated them as shims. I know they show them on the outside of the main boom but they are cupped and fit perfectly on the crowd boom between the two booms. i figured they go there. I do have to mention that my parts diagram doesn't show numbers 37&38 though. as far as the boom breaking, it broke right at bore for the pin .. number 16. didn't really see any cracks before hand. right in that area is always covered in grease due to greasing that pin. ill see if i can post some pictures tomorrow for ya . there is a lot of side to side movement between the two booms at that hinge point , so i think there has to be some sort of shim to take up the slack. i cant see running the down so tight to take up the slack due to the main boom being made of ductile iron.