• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580SE Lucas Injector Leak

Ed1

Hey guys, just found this thread and am starting on my mission to rebuild for the same problem. I'm having trouble finding the parts based on the numbers in this thread. 1989 Case 580K backhoe, Lucas CAV u3042F810 leaking at throttle shaft, possibly where the two halves come together as well, so while I'm in there I'd like to replace that gasket too. Also, I'm getting a leak above the fuel filter/separator housing if you can help with that as well.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Top cover oring kits on ebay.. google>> CAV top cover gaskets..
"mini kits" are available from 6-12.00 w/ free ship.
Full kits are about 20.00>> 7135-110

Ed1

Thanks pumpguysc! I ordered a mini kit for $9, figured it was worth giving it a shot for that price. If the cover is shot, do you have any advice on where to get one? I found one for $95 on a site called Bonanza, can I find it any cheaper?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I can buy it for 70.00 but factor in the shipping & your at 90.. real quick.. shipping TO ME, then shipping TO YOU..
Why not wait & cross that bridge when u get to it.??
U can always send me the cover & I'll put a Teflon bushing in it.. & you wont have to worry about wearing that alum/ hsg out ever again..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
While we're on the subject..
The reason they leak is usually do to the fact that the linkage is not adjusted correctly..
& it puts WAY TO MUCH force on the lever & shaft..
Next time your at the machine w/ a helper.. have them get in the cab & mash the pedal to the floor while u watch the throttle action..
That lever should touch the stop screw & lightly break over the spring.. MOST of them break over the spring & keep going until the lever & spring are bottomed & start flexing.. WAY TO MUCH force is being applied.

Ed1

That's one of those not so common common sense things! Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out.
On a side note, there has to be a manual fuel shutoff valve before the filters right? I'm not seeing anything where I thought it'd be, do you know what it looks like on a 580K?

swampman

Ed, that is not a shut off. That is the lever to manually operate the mechanical fuel pump. I don't know of a shutoff valve or see the need for one really. May be one at tank where supply line connects.

Ed1

Oh boy, ok, 1. Should the lever be inline or at a right angle now that I've messed with it lol. 2. I assume I need to shutoff the fuel supply before I tackle the injector cover rebuild right?

Delmer

The lever in your pictures is the priming lever on the transfer pump, it is spring loaded and you can't shut it off, it pumps fuel manually when the engine is not running.

The INJECTION PUMP is the one that has four lines going to the individual injectors. it will be messy to take the cover off of the injection pump. You need to study this setup, watch some youtube videos, and when you realize what's going on, then get somebody to help you with a little experience. Taking the cover off and putting it back is easy, the hard part is usually getting the linkage hooked back up right with the cover almost in place.

Ed1

Thanks Delmer. I have studied it and watched videos. In one rebuild manual I found it said to shut the fuel off first. On that particular tractor it had a shutoff before the filters so you could change filters, etc. with a full tank of fuel without the mess. I assumed this hoe would be the same. And I agree, the linkage looks to be the tough part, but I'll get it.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
there has to be a manual fuel shutoff valve before the filters right? I'm not seeing anything where I thought it'd be, do you know what it looks like on a 580K?

Fuel shut off valve on a 580K is located on the chassis, under/behind the LH step up to cab.
I'm another one to advise you that playing with injector pumps can get a novice into a great deal of trouble.

An experienced repairer can sort this problem for you in under an hour, & you will likely get some very good maintenance tips from them while they are there.

Ed1

Thanks, I knew there had to be one!

I hear you guys, I do. Unfortunately I'm the only guy for the job. While this is my first experience with this engine, I'm extensively versed in rebuilding tractors, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to knock it out no problem.