• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580SE Lucas Injector Leak

cfw3

No part numbers were given. I ordered the parts based on the pump number. Let us know what you finally decide on. I'm happy with the deal I got vs. sending the pump out for rebuild for big $$$, plus all the hassle of removal and shipping downtime etc!

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
No part numbers were given. I ordered the parts based on the pump number. Let us know what you finally decide on. I'm happy with the deal I got vs. sending the pump out for rebuild for big $$$, plus all the hassle of removal and shipping downtime etc!
Check out this link
http://www.tpub.com/content/constructionbituminous/TM-5-3895-373-34/css/TM-5-3895-373-34_283.htm
This appears to be a part of an important technical manual # TM 5-3895-373-34 that has ALL kinds of info on a total pump rebuild. (Up top use the "back" and "next" buttons to navigate pages.)
To get the manual you have to subscribe to their service, but you can look at this for free. I have printed the part I need with some clever cut and paste into a word document.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
You guys are killin' me..lol..
I rebuild those top covers every day for 75.00 + shipping..
new throttle shaft if needed and sleeved w/a steel bushing if needed..
a kit can be bought from any pump shop for 20.00 or the individual gaskets and orings for about 10.00
contact me direct for p#'s
This is an ongoing problem so I think I'll mail thebull and see if he'll keep the #'s as a "sticky"

cfw3

Well, my parts came in the mail today and I had a chance to put them in. Really wasn't too bad of a job at all. Just made sure to keep everything clean. I know it was easier than taking the whole pump out to send it off to a shop!! Alrman's part numbers were spot on! Thanks for all the help guys!

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
This is an ongoing problem so I think I'll mail thebull and see if he'll keep the #'s as a "sticky"
My pump was leaking from the bottom around the ""Auto Advance Housing". Both of the bolts on this was loose, and I tightened them a bit.
The large 19mm, was no problem, but the smaller one (maybe a 1/2" nut) scared me because it felt as if the thing might have stripped a thread.:eek:
I have a gasket set ordered and I wonder if I can take this off from underneath to replace all the gaskets & o-rings without removing the pump from the engine?

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
Well, my parts came in the mail today and I had a chance to put them in. Really wasn't too bad of a job at all. Just made sure to keep everything clean. I know it was easier than taking the whole pump out to send it off to a shop!! Alrman's part numbers were spot on! Thanks for all the help guys!
Did you get any part numbers for what you got? I thnk you were getting a new shaft and upper gasket set.

cfw3

Just to recap:

The part numbers were as follows: Cover: 7180-872N Throttle Shaft 7123-770L Overhaul Kit 7135-110

Sure is nice to be leak free, from the injection pump, that is... :cool2

thepumpguysc

Occupation
One thing to make clear..
Besides, GLAD YOU GOT IT FIXED,,LOL
NOT ALL pumps are the same..
You REALY NEED to have your pump #'s off the name plate!!
What was the final bill..??
Just a guess here..
kit 20.00
shaft>25.00
cover>85.00
shipping>12.00?? Just wondering??

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
New_Cover_12-8-11 006.jpg New_Cover_12-8-11 005.jpg

I ordered that one off E-Bay all the way from Aberdeen in the UK. (Link was above in this thread) Ordered Nov 23.
This cost me less than $16 including shipping, exchange rate etc.
It finally came today in a small package. Shipped via "Royal Mail".
It looks to be brand new and the correct part except for the redesign that was noted.
It is the 7180-872N. Hopefully it was not some weird factory reject...
I do not know if they have any more of these or not, but surely this is easier that rebushing the throttle shaft hole.

mwall500

Service needed

new throttle shaft if needed and sleeved w/a steel bushing if needed..
a kit can be bought from any pump shop for 20.00 or the individual gaskets and orings for about 10.00
contact me direct for p#'s

I have a throttle linkage leak in my Lucas Fuel Injector pump cover, it's off a Case 580k 4 390 motor. Can I get in touch with you to get this fixed? Thanks -Mike

mwall500

Mike, Seeing your a new member, you cant email me without atleast 4 posts..
I'll see if I can mail you..

Thanks, my email address is mwall500@yahoo.com. Thanks. I did replace the seals on the shaft itself this weekend, the existing seals were dry. There wasn't much sign of wear but it was tough to see. I would like to get a price on a new cover and shaft.

theforestking

I don't know the rules with posts
Case 580 86 model
I've had the the housing on the injector pump off a bunch of times
I snapped the studs and replaced them
Replaced gaskets
I wondered if anyone has a better idea about getting the housing resealed
Need to get it fixed once and for all
Thanks all the same

thepumpguysc

Occupation
TFK.. sometimes, more than not.. the housing bore is worn and/ or the throttle shaft itself needs replacing..
A bushing can be installed in the top cover, but if its the throttle/shut-off shaft, they have to be replaced..
IF its leaking under the top cover, at the gasket.. 2 gaskets can be used..
IF you tighten the nuts to tight, it will bow the cover and will leak also..
NEW top covers are available but we'll need your pump #'s off the name plate for the correct one.. same goes for the thr./shut-off shafts..

theforestking

TFK.. sometimes, more than not.. the housing bore is worn and/ or the throttle shaft itself needs replacing..
A bushing can be installed in the top cover, but if its the throttle/shut-off shaft, they have to be replaced..
IF its leaking under the top cover, at the gasket.. 2 gaskets can be used..
IF you tighten the nuts to tight, it will bow the cover and will leak also..
NEW top covers are available but we'll need your pump #'s off the name plate for the correct one.. same goes for the thr./shut-off shafts..
From what I understand
Its 3.9 Cummins
Pump is U 3042F 150
07940075CBU
A501 800 1 2400
Those are the numbers on my pump

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Top cover #>7180-872N>>1
Throttle shaft#>7123-770L>>1
New thr. shaft requires a bushing #7139-433B>>1
TC gasket#>7180-451>>1 or 2
Top nut gaskts>5339-970>>2
thr/shut-off orings>7185-950>>4
All those P# are Lucas/Delphi..
and before you ask.. I dont sell parts.. your local fuel shop can get them..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
OR like I said in an earlier post.. I can ream out the housing and install Teflon bushings..
You can click on my name and send me an email if you would like to discuss it..
a new cover is about 125.00 and a thr. sh is around 27.00 + around 12.00 in gaskets.. I don't know how much the bushing is.. + shipping..

Ausm7499

I know this thread has been dead for awhile but I too have a Case 580K with a leaking Lucas injector pump. Leak is coming from where the throttle shaft goes through the cover, I haven't torn it down to see if it's just the seal or if the cover is worn. Sounds like thepumpguysc is the expert on this, below are the numbers off of my pump.
DPA U3042F840
Ser. 02000298AHU
A71 L-1100-1-2400

I will probably just start with a rebuild kit and hope that fixes my issue unless I can get this teflon bushing and bore out the cover myself.

If somebody has the part number's I need to get this leak fixed that would be great.